What's new

RoH Fresh Frozen Kava

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
I saw this pop up on RoH website, any give it a try yet?

I ordered a pound to test it out hoping it doesn't arrived spoiled.... two day shipping to MN
I have tried to get fresh kava two other times from various vendors hopefully this come through!

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I saw this pop up on RoH website, any give it a try yet?

I ordered a pound to test it out hoping it doesn't arrived spoiled.... two day shipping to MN
I have tried to get fresh kava two other times from various vendors hopefully this come through!
I haven't tried there's yet, but I ordered some. Just in case you're not aware, one pound of fresh root will only make one or two proper strength batches. That doesn't mean you can't squeeze 4 or 5 pleasant mild batches from it. But if you're buying it to see what real kava drinking is like, you're gonna have to use at least half the bag per session...probably more like 3/4 or all of it to go Vanuatu strength.

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

Learn to love me, assemble the ways...
Geez, if I ordered it, it would be moldy by the time I got it. I'm still waiting for an order from RoH that I put in on October 20th! They are not known for their communication or promptness, IMHO.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Frozen mahakea I'm willing to wait for. Ordered. We'll see. It's not often we're offered frozen fresh, so it will be interesting. I wonder who they've partnered with in Hawaii to provide fresh roots?

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I haven't tried there's yet, but I ordered some. Just in case you're not aware, one pound of fresh root will only make one or two proper strength batches. That doesn't mean you can't squeeze 4 or 5 pleasant mild batches from it. But if you're buying it to see what real kava drinking is like, you're gonna have to use at least half the bag per session...probably more like 3/4 or all of it to go Vanuatu strength.
Tha nakamal i drank at this year used 14kg to make about a 40 litre batch. So thats 2.8litres per kilo, or about 1.3 litres per pound.
But 1.3 litre session of that would need to wait for a friday - half that was enough for a good workday session.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Tha nakamal i drank at this year used 14kg to make about a 40 litre batch. So thats 2.8litres per kilo, or about 1.3 litres per pound.
But 1.3 litre session of that would need to wait for a friday - half that was enough for a good workday session.

Good info, I love seeing the actual ratios that nakamals use.
How much fluctuation in the proportions would you guess was common from one nakamal to another...before the current shortage/price spike?
I guess that pertains more to Vila than on Santo.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Yes I like collecting info too - I asked all the kava sellers that I visited regularly about their source & prep.
I think the ratios vary wildly in Vila. I went to some expat-popular nakamals where the shells were not more than a sip, and strength way down from Santo levels.
In Santo though, where everyone has easy access to fresh kava at the same market price, any nakamal that gives a poor shell doesn't get customers.

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

Learn to love me, assemble the ways...
Frozen mahakea I'm willing to wait for. Ordered. We'll see. It's not often we're offered frozen fresh, so it will be interesting. I wonder who they've partnered with in Hawaii to provide fresh roots?
As long as I know when to expect it and/or that I am actually going to recieve it, then I agree. I am still waiting for that $100+ order I made 10/20. So, am I "out" the money? Who knows and they don't *seem * to care. Either way, I agree that trying fresh frozen is a great opportunity. I'm willing to put in an order and take my chances. I love their products. This will be the 5th order I've made from them in two months! lol. Well, it's worth a shot....
One question: Is Mahakea heavy? heady? balanced? Thanks, Kapm!

truthornothing

Kava Curious
As long as I know when to expect it and/or that I am actually going to recieve it, then I agree. I am still waiting for that $100+ order I made 10/20. So, am I "out" the money? Who knows and they don't *seem * to care. Either way, I agree that trying fresh frozen is a great opportunity. I'm willing to put in an order and take my chances. I love their products. This will be the 5th order I've made from them in two months! lol. Well, it's worth a shot....
So you still haven't gotten your order ?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Mahakea is traditionally strong and balanced.

I've had fresh Hiwa, and borogu, but not fresh Mahakea. I'll be happy to add this one to my list.