What's new

RoH Fresh Frozen Kava

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
On the bright side, it's hecka cold in MN right now. We're dipping below 20* now. So if it's frozen when it's shipped out, and it gets colder as it reaches here, I should be OK? I'm a few clicks away from committing. Definitely doing Priority Mail at $11 if I order at all. Fresh kava is really tempting!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
On the bright side, it's hecka cold in MN right now. We're dipping below 20* now. So if it's frozen when it's shipped out, and it gets colder as it reaches here, I should be OK? I'm a few clicks away from committing. Definitely doing Priority Mail at $11 if I order at all. Fresh kava is really tempting!
Yes! This was going to be my next suggestion. If the express shipping is too much (and it is) using nature will save you quite a bit :)

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Good idea. I think I will wait as well for colder temps as well unless they switch to adding a freezer pack. Fijifresh was also looking at offering fresh frozen kava. Maybe market forces will get both to offer it if it is a hit.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Alright, guys! I'm taking a bullet. I bought 1 lb. of the Hanakapi'ai. I'm gonna see how well this ships out over here and if it's not obviously spoiled, how good of a grog I make with it.

(I might need to go buy a blender. Not sure how well my little chopper will handle a bunch of root.)

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Alright, guys! I'm taking a bullet. I bought 1 lb. of the Hanakapi'ai. I'm gonna see how well this ships out over here and if it's not obviously spoiled, how good of a grog I make with it.

(I might need to go buy a blender. Not sure how well my little chopper will handle a bunch of root.)
It looks like you may not need the food processor, as they're sending the fresh kava pre-ground.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
It looks like you may not need the food processor, as they're sending the fresh kava pre-ground.
I think I knew that! I read through this thread but it's been a while so I forgot. Well, that'll make prep easier!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Damn, I didn't think I was gonna buy anymore considering how weak that whole pound was for me...but fresh Hanakapi'ai gets me curious again since it's typically strong (for a hawaiian kava).
Spending way too much money on kava this month, so I probably definitely shouldn't, but I also can't rely on other people's reviews cuz they all get slammed when I just get disappointed. errrr @SelfBiasResistor did you order some?
I can get semi-krunk simply by looking at your avatar. ::vplastik::

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
I am in MN and mine arrived still fresh

PsyGuru

Kava Enthusiast
I would suggest the express shipping option. Fresh kava being such the treat that it is, it's worth that extra to be sure you get it while it's still cold. Until the winter season if I order more that's how I'll have it shipped, and I'm in TN.
Roh called and said they will use a ice pack and also ship early in the week to avoid the extra Sunday in storage. Actually summer is finally over and finally cooling down.

I would rather buy another pound than pay the extra 30 for shipping.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Made a batch of this earlier. I don't think I prepared it strong enough. I did 4 tbsp's in a liter of water. I might use the same amount with half that amount next time. I have some leftover in the fridge. The rest of the grind is in the freezer. I'll take it out as needed. The taste wasn't disappointing at least. Too early to say how I like this. I'll need to make another batch soon.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Made a batch of this earlier. I don't think I prepared it strong enough. I did 4 tbsp's in a liter of water. I might use the same amount with half that amount next time. I have some leftover in the fridge. The rest of the grind is in the freezer. I'll take it out as needed. The taste wasn't disappointing at least. Too early to say how I like this. I'll need to make another batch soon.
Fresh root isn't meant to be measured in tablespoons, especially a low Tbsp number like 4, you won't feel the traditional experience that way and it will be weaker than 4 Tbsp. of dry powder. They're not equals. You've gotta use half a pound or the whole pound depending on your water amount. IIRC it takes 5 or 10 pounds of fresh wet kava to make 1 pound of dry kava powder.
I'm not saying you have to drink it this way, just that you will probably be missing out on the full experience at dosages that low. ::vflag:: ::chugger::

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Fresh root isn't meant to be measured in tablespoons, especially a low Tbsp number like 4, you won't feel the traditional experience that way and it will be weaker than 4 Tbsp. of dry powder. They're not equals. You've gotta use half a pound or the whole pound depending on your water amount. IIRC it takes 5 or 10 pounds of fresh wet kava to make 1 pound of dry kava powder.
I'm not saying you have to drink it this way, just that you will probably be missing out on the full experience at dosages that low. ::vflag:: ::chugger::
After drinking it and not feeling much effect, I suspected that might be the case. I was just super-duper really wanting to make it, so I didn't even bother consulting any form of instructions. I will probably use the rest of the bag when I next knead it.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I finished off my batch of RoH Fresh Mahakea last night. I drank a few more shells than I did last time, which definitely gave me a more noteworthy experience. Still quite a bit behind my experiences with fresh kava in Vanuatu, but it was a nice clean, smiley, happy relaxed buzz. I enjoyed it. Very narrow experience though, almost entirely just a light swimmy feeling in the head.

I was hesitant to drink it again, because the last time I had it, it gave intense bizarre anxiety dreams all night long. Torturously long repetitive uncomfortable dreams. They'd eventually wake me up and hardly any real time had passed...which meant I have to go back to sleep and be thrown back into that world again. Well, the same exact thing happened this time, long intense dreams that aren't actually that long, waking up several times, dreading going back to sleep...falling into half-sleep where I can semi-consciously listen to and see the psychotic randomness of my untethered mind for a period of time. So I'm tired and uncomfortable today, spaced out. Hopefully it's out of me enough now, that a nap can sort me out.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
I finished off my batch of RoH Fresh Mahakea last night. I drank a few more shells than I did last time, which definitely gave me a more noteworthy experience. Still quite a bit behind my experiences with fresh kava in Vanuatu, but it was a nice clean, smiley, happy relaxed buzz. I enjoyed it. Very narrow experience though, almost entirely just a light swimmy feeling in the head.

I was hesitant to drink it again, because the last time I had it, it gave intense bizarre anxiety dreams all night long. Torturously long repetitive uncomfortable dreams. They'd eventually wake me up and hardly any real time had passed...which meant I have to go back to sleep and be thrown back into that world again. Well, the same exact thing happened this time, long intense dreams that aren't actually that long, waking up several times, dreading going back to sleep...falling into half-sleep where I can semi-consciously listen to and see the psychotic randomness of my untethered mind for a period of time. So I'm tired and uncomfortable today, spaced out. Hopefully it's out of me enough now, that a nap can sort me out.
Oh man that sounds rough. Was this the Mahakea or the Hanakapi'ai? I ordered the latter.