What's new

Safe Extracts or Pastes for baking?

MendelTheMonk

Kava Curious
I’ve been reading about the potentials for baking with kava. Given that kavalactones appear to degrade at a relatively slow rate even at 240 degrees, I was thinking about finding a safe paste or extract for baking. I was wondering if folks have suggestions about this mad science or if I’m barking up the wrong proverbial tree?

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I’ve been reading about the potentials for baking with kava. Given that kavalactones appear to degrade at a relatively slow rate even at 240 degrees, I was thinking about finding a safe paste or extract for baking. I was wondering if folks have suggestions about this mad science or if I’m barking up the wrong proverbial tree?
Or hear me out....bake some nice cookies, cakes, muffins and eat them after slugging down 8oz of traditionally made kava. Just joking around but really what would be the benefit of trying to mix in kava with baked goods? I only see downsides. It takes a considerable amount of root as to get an effect. If you keep it at a level to bake and not effect the taste of something yummy it would likely be too low a level to really feel it. In addition, kava is best on an empty stomach so it would be even less effective baked into a carb rich bread type product. It is not like another semi-legal substance that is making a comeback that can be decarbed and baked into goods with small amounts that have a good kick...

MendelTheMonk

Kava Curious
I mainly just thought of it as a “can it be done” more so than a replacement for traditional liquid consumption. My thought was extracts or pastes with a high concentration of kavalactones would have the most success in maintaining potency while reducing direct flavor effects. Was really wondering if folks have tried it.

In my (still new) kava journey I’ve been trying to embrace the traditional aspects while seeing if there are interesting alternatives as a means to experience the various possibilities.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I mainly just thought of it as a “can it be done” more so than a replacement for traditional liquid consumption. My thought was extracts or pastes with a high concentration of kavalactones would have the most success in maintaining potency while reducing direct flavor effects. Was really wondering if folks have tried it.

In my (still new) kava journey I’ve been trying to embrace the traditional aspects while seeing if there are interesting alternatives as a means to experience the various possibilities.
I have tried it, I dehydrated really strong grog and it was a fun experiment, ends up taking too long, it was fun to try it once. I recommended you steer clear based on all the other experiments we have seen over the years and don't get me wrong, I believe @kavakarma may have had some success, but I still think of it as a novelty.

Also, for some reason these concentrated versions are quite unpleasant to consume and the wellbeing I feel from a kava beverage cannot be duplicated.