What's new

Second Wash??

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
I've recently switched from micro to medium grind. At first I used an aluball, but today I tried traditional prep. By the time I got done, it didn't feel like there was anything left in the kava in the bag. Is it worth it to do a second wash? I've seen other topics on this, but I can't figure out how you could get more out when the kava feels completely dry and pulpy?

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
When I do a trad prep, I take the leftover makas and slowly heat it up in a pot with about 16 oz of water.
Heat it for a good 10 minutes. I never let it get to a hard boil, but just on the edge of boiling. It will "thicken"
like gravy!

Then strain through a sieve, cool with ice. I then squeeze the makas again in the water for a minute or so, then
add the result back into the original grog.

Result: *much* stronger brew for the same amount of root. The heating process helps break down the cell walls
of the makas so you can squeeze out more kavalactones.

Works great, but it takes more time and makes more of a mess. Well worth it, IMHO. You get more out of the root than with
a cold-water 2nd wash.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
That makes sense. Is that why soaking is supposed to help as well? Because it helps break down the cell walls?

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Yep! Soaking in really hot water before kneading makes a huge difference no matter what the grind actually . Even powdered you'll get more out if you add to hot water.
Honestly I think the whole cold water thing is for fresh because it hasn't hardened yet

I do this.

Hot water big bowl. Soak in strainer. You will see the starches start breaking and then it will eventually resettle .. once it resettled start kneadng. Once your just dipping in there again and again.
Small bowl. Hot water. Repeat minus the soak.
I do that untill there's litterally no cloudyness

violet

Do all things with love
When I started doing second washes my grog sessions became consistent. And with a kava higher in lactones a lot gets left behind in a first wash.

I think there is something to extended soaks. I've kneaded out second washes that were nearly as potent as the first after being left to soak overnight in the fridge. I never had enough planning or patience to experiment with doing that regularly though. Something else that may work is freezing a soaking bag of powder; in theory it should effectively rupture the cell walls (same technique works well to get full dye release from henna).

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Yeah that should work i agree. I use that method sometimes if not being lazy to increase bonds with coconut oil.
I remember ol kona kava mentioning keeping the kava in the fridge after being made in general makes it stronger hmm...

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
I may just start throwing my second wash in the fridge overnight then. Anything to get the maximum bang for my buck. When it comes to kava my love for it seems to exceed my budget :arghh: