What's new

Sediment

Leaving sediment in your kava: yay or nay?

• Yay

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters

Nils

Kava Curious
I've seen the subject of sediment pop up in a few threads here so I thought we could just discuss it here...what do you guys do with the sediment? When I first started drinking kava I just left it in since I didn't know it was even there, and I never knew it was responsible for making those last few sips of the kava so difficult until much later.

For now, I have been using a fine tea strainer to get rid of the sediment. Do any of you guys think the sediment makes the kava stronger? I personally noticed that I become much less sleepier since straining out the sediment, but I think the overall effect of one cup is reduced greatly. Not sure if there any health issues could arise from drinking that gritty sand too.

infraredz

BULA!
The sediment definitely makes the grog stronger which is why I leave it in. That being said, I filter most of it out anyways because it has (in my experience) caused health problems like GI issues and skin problems (dermopathy)

KavaGurl

The Original Kava Forum Mama
This is an issue I'm struggling with at the moment. I really like my grog strong....but the nausea and derm monster NOT SO MUCH! So, I guess I'd have no choice but to deal with a weaker brew:meh: Or hurl and itch till kindom come! :facepalm:

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I always stir my kava up before drinking it, distributes the sediment evenly and makes it easier to drink.

I thankfully don't have any GI issues or nausea from it but I have finally managed to get dermopathy. Maybe I'll try drinking it without sediment once this clears up and see if it returns.

Bert07

Me like da kava
In the beginning, I was having GI issues, though shortly after I found out it wasn't coming from the sediment nor grog in general but rather from some kava extract that had gone bad. Whenever I do get the occasional upset stomach, ginger never fails. I'm also lucky I have never gotten any serious dermopathy problems thus far except for a minor itchy spot on rare occasions and the rest is some unrelated, common dry skin from the cold air.

^I second stirring up the bowl each time before pouring another shell. It's good to evenly distribute your sediment as much as you can if you want to be technical with it. Once I get to the very bottom of the bowl though there's always a massive amount of sediment lying at the bottom that can transcend this drinking experience into a munching experience. I always turn it down though :yuck:...maybe some day if I feel like being a champ.

Last edited:

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I vote 'yay' -- I think the sediment makes the kava. As long as I've been drinking it, I've always heard it mentioned that you should expect sediment and stir immediately before drinking.
What it comes down to, is more so a personal choice of how much sediment you want to let through and how that relates to your expectations in regards to strength, cost-effectiveness and side effects. I've done some very fine straining and still find a layer of sediment when I'm done. Like others have said, the more sediment -- the stronger the brew... I typically change my straining amount according to what variety I'm using or what experience I'm looking for. I'm not sure, but, I suspect that trying to filter out almost all of the sediment would probably just result in a super weak batch of mostly water. At that point it might save more kava & money to just decrease the dosage and do a normal straining than to use a lot of kava and strain it all out...cuz 8 tablespoons super-duper meticulously strained might be equivalent to 2 tablespoons lightly strained in the end. ...somethin like that, i dunno :wacky:

Last edited:
D

Deactivated Account

I always mix & drink the sediment. This aint a 20 year old Port thus i want the best 'bang for buck' so is there really a diff between an 8.7 & an 8.8 earthquake ? …not in my book, you just brace yourself…screw your toes up…think of england & bloody well chug !

Last edited by a moderator:

violet

Do all things with love
Not only do I screw my toes up, but I white knuckle the counter top too :shameshame:.

Sediment definitely makes my brew stronger, but I get skin and GI effects from it also. Once my skin is totally clear I'll start leaving it in again as I experiment with other kavas.

BULABUCK

ROOTLYFE.
I always portion into small mason jars so it settles by time i get home or ready to drink so i do a tummy check and if iam stressed enough i shake and drink . If its a week day i drink of the top and the rest is mud i toss out

Teamfour

Kava Curious
Timely discussion. I have noticed that if my strainer (jelly strainer) bag isn't washed often, sediment is greatly reduced. The downside is that I find the potency greatly reduced. When I get a good "face-melt", as either kavadude or shakas described once, I notice that the grog was slightly gritty and I am on the verge of nausea when the "melt" kicks in. So I think it is critical that some amount of sediment be present.