What's new

Kava Culture "See! You can have it, so can I!" Ungodly, dirty habit.

Capitán Bastos

Presanteur
www.NoDrinking.com

Kava: the drug ruining the Pacific
The drug has been introduced to Australia - as if Australia did not already have enough problems from alcohol and other drugs.

Kava: psychotic effect clouds judgement
People ignore kava’s horrid taste, and unfortunately drink it for the sake of its psychotic effect. The drug reduces inhibitions and clouds judgement.

It is sedative, relaxes the muscles, slurs speech, and causes the mouth and throat to become numb. The kava-drinker becomes dizzy or unable to stand up.

It is harmful to the liver. The liver damage has symptoms of severe scaly skin.

Kava gets many girls into a state of mind where they are accepting kava in return for indecent behaviour.

Kava & church hypocrisy - rebuke by Chief Rokodewala, Fiji
“How can they drink kava within the church compounds? They are serving a holy god and yet they are practising a dirty habit. It’s a shame that many of the youths in prison belong to the Methodist church. And who are they kidding declaring a tabu or abstaining from drinking kava for three months or a year?”

Theresa Ralogaivau, 2 Aug. 2008, Fiji Times, ‘Chief blames church for ills’.
Kava makes them weak, and they’re not prepared to work - Rev. Gondarra, Arnhem Land
“The Reverend Dr Djiniyini Gondarra is opposed to kava. He is a prominent elder, a former Uniting Church minister and the chairman of the Arnhem Land Progress Association, which refuses to sell kava through its community stores. ‘It makes them weak, and they’re not prepared to work,’ he says.”

Gondarra’s views on welfare dependency mirror Queenslander Noel Pearson’s, his fellow Aboriginal leader. Pearson calls it sit-down money, a term also used in Arnhem Land. “I don’t believe kava is a solution for Aboriginal people, like alcohol and other drugs,” Gondarra says. “Kava is a silent killer.”

16 Sep. 2003, Sydney Morning Herald, ‘Sit-down drink’.
I preach a lot against Kava - Superintendent Vulaono, New Methodist Church, Fiji
New Methodist Church general superintendent Senior Pastor Atu Vulaono said leaders should not fool themselves.

“I preach a lot against kava drinking.”

“Many people or leaders talk about drunkenness, young people going to clubs and doing drugs when they are getting drunk themselves from kava.

Kava is like a grandfather to all these things.

They should not fool themselves.”

22 Aug. 2008, Fiji Times, ‘New Methodist warns on kava’.
Missionaries against Kava - Christians without hypocrisy
“It is nonalcoholic but can be consciousness-altering. Christian missionaries virtually eliminated the drink from the islands; today, the word ‘kava’ is used for any alcoholic beverage.”

Every Culture - Cook Islands.
Traditional Vice
Genuine Christianity says Christ is first - not any nation’s customs.

Let every man, woman, and child be absolutely rid of the vice that is kava!

Note: the vice was traditionally limited to men who were chiefs - certainly not general use in church services! A kavaholic wants you to just try it so he can say, “See! You have it, so can I.” The kava drinkers become increasingly complacent and start expecting their wives to single-handedly raise the children and also to earn an income. Meanwhile the men accomplish nothing. But if you object, they say, “See! You have it, so can I.” Likewise, how can you help alcoholics when you still dabble a bit yourself?

http://www.nodrinking.com/serving-holy-god-yet-dirty-habit-kava/

Capitán Bastos

Presanteur
Tui Wailevu Ratu Rokodewala Niumataiwalu made the comments at a recent sitting of the Macuata Provincial Council discussing the increasing number of Macuata youths at the Vaturekuka Prison.

"I have to frankly say that this is the fault of the talatala who is practising grog drinking until the early hours of the morning within his home and in the villages. What kind of example is he setting for the youths?" Ratu Rokodewala asked.

"Once they start drinking kava, they want to follow that with a wash-down and start drinking heavily and in that intoxicated state they fall into crime. They damage property, fight, and sometimes these drinking sprees end tragically in murder," he said.

verticity

I'm interested in things
That site is classic:

"Water-to-wine miracle: NO REASON to assume it’s alcoholic" Nope, no reason at all to assume the wine mentioned in the Bible is the traditional alcoholic beverage. It was probably that non-alcoholic fizzy grape juice. :hilarious:

"Terrorists who drink alcohol"

That site is just ridiculous. I mean, I consider myself a "recovering alcoholic" so I don't drink, but I understand that others can actually drink in moderation without negative consequences, so I don't judge those who choose to do so.

verticity

I'm interested in things
It's like a time warp from 100 years ago:

carrieanation.jpg

(Carrie Nation, US "Temperance" advocate. The axe is for busting barrels of liquor, in case you were wondering...and that's a Bible in her left hand, no doubt with the water-to-wine bit redacted)

The temperance movement was world wide. Of course, like everything in New Zealand, it's temperance activists were more beautiful:
hero-37648.jpg

But there were still safe family friendly drinks during Prohibition:
root_beer.jpg

Yup... Hire's Root ("beer")! Even back then they appreciated the health value of the root. ;)

verticity

I'm interested in things
Oh, here's another good one, from the "Soviet temperance movement." I don't understand Russian, but I have provided a translation below.
russian-white-recruiting-posters.jpg

Sargeant: "Soldier! Why are you not in marching formation, maggot?"
Soldier: "But Sarge, I have to pee, because I drank too much vodka."

Or it might be two separate posters, I'm not sure..

Here is the context: hilariously there apparently was a "Soviet era temperance movement" which was obviously not really a movement, but a government propaganda effort.

Last edited:

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
An interesting point: in NZ the issue of prohibition was very closely related to the issue of women's suffrage. In short, most of the opposition to the latter was linked to the former. As a friend of mine noted a while ago: "People are amazed that we did not let women vote, but they are also amazed that we allowed Prohibition. Most don't realize that a vote for women's suffrage was a vote for Prohibition."

Perhaps it's the same in Fiji? A more rigid social structure with women fearing that their men will spend 99% of their household income on vices?

verticity

I'm interested in things
An interesting point: in NZ the issue of prohibition was very closely related to the issue of women's suffrage. In short, most of the opposition to the latter was linked to the former. As a friend of mine noted a while ago: "People are amazed that we did not let women vote, but they are also amazed that we allowed Prohibition. Most don't realize that a vote for women's suffrage was a vote for Prohibition."

Perhaps it's the same in Fiji? A more rigid social structure with women fearing that their men will spend 99% of their household income on vices?
Interesting. I think that might have been similar to some extent in the US. A lot of the temperance propaganda portrays the bad effects of alcohol on women, like husbands beating up their wives, etc. From the point of view of many women back then it surely felt like a great injustice that they were "second class citizens" who couldn't vote and were often victimized by drunken men. I can see how many of the same women who were inclined to activism would have been involved with both causes..

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
What bugs me is some preacherman coming down on people for drinking kava among other things. They're a bunch of small minded chumps, and they're doing Christianity a BIG disservice. "Hey, we're the no fun always frowning kick dirt on your shoes gang. Don't you want to join us? No? Then your going to hell." What a gigantic pile of FAIL. I'm a Christian, and I want nothing to do with people like that.

verticity

I'm interested in things
What bugs me is some preacherman coming down on people for drinking kava among other things. They're a bunch of small minded chumps, and they're doing Christianity a BIG disservice. "Hey, we're the no fun always frowning kick dirt on your shoes gang. Don't you want to join us? No? Then your going to hell." What a gigantic pile of FAIL. I'm a Christian, and I want nothing to do with people like that.
Yeah, Christianity is definitely not monolithic. There are Southern Baptists who don't drink at all, and Catholics actually have wine in the rite of the Eucharist. Denominations range from very conservative to very liberal on various issues. It certainly is not fair to lump all Christians together.

Ligermeat

Warm and Fuzzeh!
lol, what? If you are serious, you should try it sometime.
Please disregard "my" last post. It was part of a failed attempt by dr. Phil to take over my online alter ego and ruin kava's reputation.

After building trust for a short while, Dr. Phil would have started spreading rumors and gossip about the "dangers" of kava through the entire forum. Eventually, the good doctor would have started promoting kava as a "legal high" to angsty 14 year olds, all in an attempt to get kava banned for good.

However, I discovered Dr. Phil using my profile and immediately took action to make sure he never lies again. If he does happen to lie agin. he will ever punished with the most infernal, most dispicable form of torture known to man: waterbeibering.