What's new

Serving size?

El Guapo510

Kava Curious
What is a typical dose for most kava users? I've been taking 4 tablespoons of some vula waka in the evening, mixing it with about 2 cups of water & almond milk and just barely feel an effect- feels sort of like a low dose of a benzo. Am I using enough? The suggestions on the package say 2-4 tbsps so I'm on the high end but don't want to overdo it.

Mo'iety

Kava Enthusiast
2-4 tbsp of kava is a serving in the sense that a pint of beer is a serving. You may choose to have more or less depending on what you're looking for. That being said, 3tbsp is my go-to weeknight dose. I definitely feel it and it's very pleasant but not too "krunked out."

Edit: also you might not be kneading long/hard enough to get all the available kavalactones out of the root. You should feel a noticable change in consistency from clay-like to wet coffee grounds as you near the end of kneading.

El Guapo510

Kava Curious
Hmm interesting I guess I never thought of it like beer but that analogy kind of makes sense. Might need a double serving then. Had some kava candies today so I'll see how that synergizes with the grog later.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
What is a typical dose for most kava users? I've been taking 4 tablespoons of some vula waka in the evening, mixing it with about 2 cups of water & almond milk and just barely feel an effect- feels sort of like a low dose of a benzo. Am I using enough? The suggestions on the package say 2-4 tbsps so I'm on the high end but don't want to overdo it.
2-4 TBS is on the low end of the usage range for most users. This is a good starting point for most new users to get their feet wet and start to feel the kava without a lot of nausea. My daily intake ranges usually in the 8-12TBS range in about a 3-4 hr time period (~5pm-9PM). Slowly work your way up and see how you feel. Just give it enough time to kick-in before adding more (20-30 min) and you should be just fine. kava is pretty self regulating. If you start to feel a bit too krunk or nauseous back off and chill.

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
Everyone will react differently. There are plenty of different types of Kava that vary in effects and strength so keep that in mind. Proper preparation is key in a good grog. I can generally get a decent but somewhat subtle effects from 4tbls but generally veer towards 6-12. Sometimes more depending on what I want for the situation. Just ease into it as @Zaphod suggested.