What's new

Set and Setting

infraredz

BULA!
This phrase is usually associated with psychedelics, but I think that it applies to a whole range of things; from daily activities to use of psychedelics and everything in between.

I've found that the mindset and psychological approach that I have when I'm having some kava can have dramatic differences in how I 'receive' the kava'd benefits. Making a bowl because I'm having some abnormal anxiety and want to calm myself is much different from preparing a nice and relaxing evening. I've found that, coincidentally, the times I've not been trying to relieve any anxiety (although anxiety, insomnia and pain are always what I use kava for) is when I feel the most benefit.

I think that it's important to take a step back, remember the kava and embrace the full experience. Setting up a relaxing evening always yields a more relaxing evening, but I have to go into it with the right mindset and environment.

Anyone else feel this way? What do you do to enchance the set and setting for yourself?

Last edited:

Ecto

Train by day, Kava by night....All day
Solid post. I always have my Kava sessions very late at night. Dimly lit room with some light music playing. Sink into the couch and let the Kava guide me the rest of the way.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Kava acts like an energy shield for me. I drink it when I feel outside pressure or on a weekly(ish) bases. Not a whole lot of setting there. One thing I do like doing now is drinking kava out of an apple bowl. Krunkedout made me do it...:p

infraredz

BULA!
Ahhh the apple bowl. The important question with all things apple related; do you eat the apple after it's served its task?

I think getting a coconut shell might be a nice addition for me the more I think about it. It might offset the blender's negative energy in the eyes of the kava gods :)

P

pjim

Infaredz, you mention psychadelics. For those, you do want to be in a calm, safe place so that you don't end up having a "bad trip". What I like about Kava is that it has never been a negative experience for me, even if I come to a session totally stressed-out, worked-up, or whatever. I do use Kava mostly at the end of the day, when most of the day's duties are behind me. It is my own little reward for handling the pressures of life. For me, it is a wind-down, often in the quiet of the evening with the lights low.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Set and setting for me is one of those "absolutes" of kava. Especially at "good luck making it to the bed from the couch" dosages. I've noticed that when I'm on vacation kava is completely different when I'm away from the familiarity of home.

Bert07

Me like da kava
On a good day I enjoy drinking kava during a quiet, peaceful sunny afternoon the most, much more than nighttime. Typically on a nice day where you have nothing planned and there isn't too much commotion or better yet none at all. I'm talking like a Sunday where you have the freedom to drink kava and do whatever you please. And when you're all rooted up, you can go outside and experience the beauty of nature, or do it inside staring out your window if you much rather prefer that or it's too cold to go outside in the first place. It might sound unusual but experiencing a sunny day on kava makes me feel like I'm on an island vacation all over again and brings on a profound sense of nostalgia. It's like the kava wants to take me back to its where it just came from.

Bert07

Me like da kava
In fact, I think I'll be taking another vacation right now with this Solomon I brewed last night. Sunny day+quiet Sunday afternoon+kava=one hell of a good time

Doobie Doo

How many shells to get to the center..1 2 3
Is this anything like a Heisenberg uncertainty principal applied to taking Kava? You can't help but influence the outcome by if (or what you bring with you)?

earth mother

Love and Light
Today was my first real experience with setting for sure. My tinies, well I swear it was one of those days that they wanted me to be a lunatic. I didn't change my routine as far as kava consumption goes and it had very minimal effect and if anything I may have been a tad more on edge. Now that the youngest is in bed and the oldest is soon to follow I can feel the difference. It has been total backwards day for sure...

D

Deleted User01

To paraphrase the Kavasseur, "Kava can make a bad setting suck even more". Nothing worse than drinking Kava in the afternoon and then have someone call you up right before 5 with a screaming emergency. Earth Mom, my mother used to wait till all 7 of us were in bed. Then she would get a glass of coke and some peanuts and have her quiet time in front of the TV with no interruptions. And she would pass out in front of the TV until who knows what hour.

kavalover

Outsider
hehe, I hear this phrase quite a bit on some other forums that I frequent. It definitely applies with kava. I've told the story plenty of times on the old forum but I might as well bring up my "set and setting" here on the new forums.

A while ago, back in 2009 I got hooked on the TV show Lost. This was also the same time that I started drinking kava. It wasn't until 2010 that I found the kavasseur blog, and started drinking kava more often and with more passion, as our beloved kavasseur inspired. I watched the series finale while absolutely crunked on a good mix of Fijian Waka and Vanuatu Tudei from KBR - and man what an experience that was! Totally enthralled in the show, the story coming to its grand climax in two hours and being krunked made it even more awesome. That's when I decided to go back and watch the series over again from Season 1 - I began watching krunked and sure enough, amazing. The setting of the show goes so well with kava, on a tropical island with plenty of different characters to analyze and watch develop, the flashbacks messing with my mind. Since then I haven't watched a single episode of Lost without kava, and I've seen the entire series three times, all whilst krunked out :woot:

That's my perfect setting

Bert07

Me like da kava
kavalover, you have inspired me sir. I never got into Lost yet and it's right here on Netflix. I've been so preoccupied with other TV shows that I never gave it the time of day. Better late than never..

kavalover

Outsider
kavalover, you have inspired me sir. I never got into Lost yet and it's right here on Netflix. I've been so preoccupied with other TV shows that I never gave it the time of day. Better late than never..
Better late than never indeed. The show is fantastic, although admittedly it loses its magic after the 4th season. Still very worth a watch in my opinion, maybe you'll find the kava + Lost mix as amazing as I did :)

violet

Do all things with love
A couple years ago while visiting family abroad I caught a few episodes. I was drawn very quickly into it and riveted by it each time I watched... if I ever get time to reacquaint with television I will probably watch it, if it is still available.

kavalover

Outsider
A couple years ago while visiting family abroad I caught a few episodes. I was drawn very quickly into it and riveted by it each time I watched... if I ever get time to reacquaint with television I will probably watch it, if it is still available.
If you have amazon prime, all seasons are available for HD streaming for free, that's what I do. It's on amazon too :)