What's new

Seven Months in...my journey with Kava

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I am ~ 7 months in to my journey with Kava and I figured it might be helpful for me to chronicle my journey with Kava for other folks starting out. My main motivation for taking Kava was anxiety and insomnia. I did a lot of research and I spent a ton of time reading this forum including the permanent posts at the top each section. When I finally decided to take the plunge I decided to stick with Noble - and with a vendor I thought was honest, helpful, and I was sure not to give me crappy parts of the plant. GHK was my choice. A little more pricey than others but cost was not really a factor in my decision.

Next question instant, microgind, or traditional prep? I decided on the microgrind. Traditional prep looked a bit inconvenient and tough to judge the strength of each batch so being cautious I wanted something I could measure carefully and try in a slow and controlled manner. GHK's microgrind got good reviews so micro it was. Started off with starter pack of Moi, Mahakea, and Nene.

First couple of times I tried 1-2 TBS of the microgrind in ~6oz of water. I knew the taste would be unpleasant so I was prepared with plenty of chasers. The first several times I got a very mild sedation and relaxation but not much to write home about. Honestly I was ready to throw in the towel and go back to the tried and true alcohol. Then on the 3rd or 4th night in a row I tried the Moi. 2 TBS of Moi rocked my world. Very heady - and by heady it feels like your head is not quite attached to your body. There is a clear delay between what your eyes are seeing and what your brain is processing. Move your head quickly and it is more pronounced.

So fast forward 7 months later and I routinely take 2-3 TBS of microgrind a night after work. My favorite is the Mahakea for being nice and balanced. If I want more headiness I mix in some Moi, if I want relaxation I mix in some Nene. I have been sleeping great and the anxiety level is way down.

Downsides. Well there are not many but there are some. Obviously the taste, but lets face it if you have done a shot of jagermeister this is not any worse. Folks will claim it is not addictive, and yeah it is not physically addictive, but anything that makes you feel this good especially if your anxiety ridden is psychologically addictive. MJ is not physically addictive either but we probably all know someone who does or used to wake'n'bake just to get out bed. Lastly the Dermo issue is real and can be quite annoying, unattractive, and in some places painful. I have used nothing but noble and it still is striking so I may have to unfortunately take a break or switch away from microgrind.

Hope this is helpful!

Ligermeat

Warm and Fuzzeh!
I am ~ 7 months in to my journey with Kava and I figured it might be helpful for me to chronicle my journey with Kava for other folks starting out. My main motivation for taking Kava was anxiety and insomnia. I did a lot of research and I spent a ton of time reading this forum including the permanent posts at the top each section. When I finally decided to take the plunge I decided to stick with Noble - and with a vendor I thought was honest, helpful, and I was sure not to give me crappy parts of the plant. GHK was my choice. A little more pricey than others but cost was not really a factor in my decision.

Next question instant, microgind, or traditional prep? I decided on the microgrind. Traditional prep looked a bit inconvenient and tough to judge the strength of each batch so being cautious I wanted something I could measure carefully and try in a slow and controlled manner. GHK's microgrind got good reviews so micro it was. Started off with starter pack of Moi, Mahakea, and Nene.

First couple of times I tried 1-2 TBS of the microgrind in ~6oz of water. I knew the taste would be unpleasant so I was prepared with plenty of chasers. The first several times I got a very mild sedation and relaxation but not much to write home about. Honestly I was ready to throw in the towel and go back to the tried and true alcohol. Then on the 3rd or 4th night in a row I tried the Moi. 2 TBS of Moi rocked my world. Very heady - and by heady it feels like your head is not quite attached to your body. There is a clear delay between what your eyes are seeing and what your brain is processing. Move your head quickly and it is more pronounced.

So fast forward 7 months later and I routinely take 2-3 TBS of microgrind a night after work. My favorite is the Mahakea for being nice and balanced. If I want more headiness I mix in some Moi, if I want relaxation I mix in some Nene. I have been sleeping great and the anxiety level is way down.

Downsides. Well there are not many but there are some. Obviously the taste, but lets face it if you have done a shot of jagermeister this is not any worse. Folks will claim it is not addictive, and yeah it is not physically addictive, but anything that makes you feel this good especially if your anxiety ridden is psychologically addictive. MJ is not physically addictive either but we probably all know someone who does or used to wake'n'bake just to get out bed. Lastly the Dermo issue is real and can be quite annoying, unattractive, and in some places painful. I have used nothing but noble and it still is striking so I may have to unfortunately take a break or switch away from microgrind.

Hope this is helpful!
Welcome to the tribe ::happyshell::.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor

Hope this is helpful!
I'd say that would be very helpful. I would add a few things that might help too...

Coconut oil is good to ease dermo, eaten as well as used directly on the skin. I'm only just getting started with it but I'm definitely noticing a difference already.

As kava is a diuretic you're going to lose b vitamins as well as electrolytes and water. Since I've been taking a multi vitamin with b vitamins in the morning I've felt a lot less sluggish the morning after kava.

If you haven't already try adding some fat to your mix. I use milk mixed 50/50 with water these days and I find it helps my body use the kava better.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I'd say that would be very helpful. I would add a few things that might help too...

Coconut oil is good to ease dermo, eaten as well as used directly on the skin. I'm only just getting started with it but I'm definitely noticing a difference already.

As kava is a diuretic you're going to lose b vitamins as well as electrolytes and water. Since I've been taking a multi vitamin with b vitamins in the morning I've felt a lot less sluggish the morning after kava.

If you haven't already try adding some fat to your mix. I use milk mixed 50/50 with water these days and I find it helps my body use the kava better.
Thanks for the suggestions! I will give them a try. I have added more olive oil to my diet and it does seem to help. I will try adding b-vitamins and some fats to the mix. Can't add dairy, but I will try some almond milk or other fats.

Panthau

Kava Curious
Has anyone ever tried CBD oil for dermo? I use it here and then for my skin problems and it works quite well. Havent used it regularly though, but some people claim it heals skin cancer... although maybe with a THC mix.