What's new

sipping instead of chugging. get anxiety attacks at thought of trying new substance.

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
oh, i just realized you are drinking moi....never had it myself but the kavain effect can take some getting used to.
This should be a non-issue with bedtime kavas such as nene .... i can only imagine you having a very easy time with bedtime kavas.

Reactions: Ell

Krunkmeup

Kava Enthusiast
I think it's trial and error at the end of the day to see what works for you. I drank it 3-4 times a week for 2 weeks at first it was awesome but then I noticed some unwanted side effects which are more than likely due to the medication I take (anti depressants and anti psychotic although used for anxiety not psychosis and beta blockers)
I started to notice feeling lethargic and not able to exercise as I did, a complete loss of sex drive, memory loss and confusion, extremely bad gas and finally an allergic reaction that covered my entire body, although I'm not 100% yet this was caused by kava but I've never been allergic to anything in my life.
I will definitely use kava again, I really enjoyed it, but it will have to be 1 day at a time per week to see how I go. This isn't meant to put you off trying more but it's good to be mindful. I am however certain most of the issues are due to reaction with the tablets I'm taking only it has magnified the effects like memory loss (my tablets already cause this).
If I was on no medication I expect I would drink kava daily!

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
@Ell Gary Mack from Kava Kauia says to hold it in your mouth for a while and let the kava numb your mouth before you drink it. If you want a wild ride then slamming is probably necessary but for general anxiety relief a little at a time should work fine. Just be sure to try and up your dosage until you feel comfortable.

A different but related example... I used to, probably still do, have a real fear of vomiting after a few bad experiences. Odd for someone who drank heavily for 25 years. Anyway, I was very nervous about trying kava because I heard about the nausea and possibility of throwing up. Even my biggest mistakes meaning drinking way more kava than was a good idea hasn't made me ill but yet as I drink kava more often, daily now for a long time, even if I do go a bit far and get some nausea I don't really feel the same anxiety over the idea of throwing up. Of course I'd really prefer not to but it just seems as though I'd be more able to get on with it. So the point being, the more you drink kava and get used to it the more your fears and anxieties about it will reduce.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I think it is perfectly normal for some of us to be anxious trying new things. I am kind of like that too.

If you are a fan of Doctor Who, remember that "fear is a superpower." If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's a silly science fiction show where they are facing some killer aliens or something and the advice refers to the fact that fear serves an important function for us: it keeps us safe, by, for example, preventing us from eating and drinking all kinds or random things.

But just rest assured that kava is perfectly safe, so long as you don't mix it with things like alcohol or Tylenol. A tablespoon is a fine dose to start with: just chug it down. It won't hurt you. The worst thing that is likely to happen is nothing at all. Maybe use less water to make it more concentrated. Then wait 45 minutes and see how you feel. Repeat if needed, but don't use more than a couple tablespoons to begin with to see how effects you.

It's true that Moi is not really the best strain for anxiety, in my opinion. I prefer KWK borongoru for that. But in small doses it can be helpful. On the other hand, I have heard of some people who really like Moi for anxiety. It is very potent, though, so moderation is key.

Reactions: Ell

Ell

Kava Curious
Thanks guys. I have been reading and thinking about your responses. When i downloaded the app I logged in with my email but it gave me a new username and the only way I was able to reply on this thread was by clicking on the icon and viewing my posts. Strange. Lol

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Ell

Kava Curious
I have been keeping at it. One day I went up to a tsp of micro loa waka. Didnt feel much but earlier that day i had a bit less than a teaspoon and felt a fleeting glimpse of what it might be like lol. Just really liked music. I think im still going through reverse tolerance.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk