What's new

Skin Peeling on Hands

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
Recently, my hands have been getting really bad, in terms of peeling skin. Am I the only one who's gotten this before, or what? I should probably be wearing gloves to knead the Kava...

Palmetto

Thank God!
Kneading with a potato masher helps avoid peeling and cracking skin in the fingers. I'll try to post a video of my method later this week. In general, lactones have a tendency to bind to cells and cause immunological reactions, not just kavalactones.

Crunked

Proselytizer
Knead with food safe disposable gloves and use a lanolin based cream until your hands are healed (unless you are allergic to lanolin). Otherwise, buy a couple of aluballs (available from @Kavafied and use a shaker bottle). I can't recommend the alubottles, they leak like a sieve.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
I don't know if it is just because it is a coarser grind or if it really is because it is waka; but I've been drinking mostly kavas made from only lateral roots and my dermo has all but disappeared. I suppose that it is not freezing dry winter anymore might be an equally reasonable explanation.