What's new

So what's your fav Kava right now?

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

Learn to love me, assemble the ways...
So far, I am a Supreme fan as well. Bati is my fav. It depends on what "feel" I'm going for, as all help with my anxiety. I have a 1/2lb of Nambawan waiting for me to crack into it. After this post, I just might try it tomorrow. However, I seriously have about 10-15 bags of kava in my cupboard. Some 1lb bags, some 1/2lb and sample sizes. I'm trying an array from each vendor. Also, two micro (Vula Waka for nighttime tea and Pouni Ono for day <yet to open that one. It's mostly for convenience at work but haven't had the need for it yet, as I just bring the medium grind already prepped in a large coffee mug>). I am a bit stand offish to the micros due to increased chance of dermo. I drink kava all day long, though, so I am also doing everything within reason to prevent dermo. I'm sure at some point I'll have some degree of it but I am as prepared as one can be... Low price to pay for the relaxation, yet alertness, I get from the kavas that I've tried so far. Kava Time Kavadu and Savusavu on the way too. I love that most have expiration dates on them that are pretty far away. I don't feel too much pressure to blow through my stash. Squanch must be cracked into later in the week as well. I've heard too many great things! lol. When has too many options become as issue?! :D

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
So far, I am a Supreme fan as well. Bati is my fav. It depends on what "feel" I'm going for, as all help with my anxiety. I have a 1/2lb of Nambawan waiting for me to crack into it. After this post, I just might try it tomorrow. However, I seriously have about 10-15 bags of kava in my cupboard. Some 1lb bags, some 1/2lb and sample sizes. I'm trying an array from each vendor. Also, two micro (Vula Waka for nighttime tea and Pouni Ono for day <yet to open that one. It's mostly for convenience at work but haven't had the need for it yet, as I just bring the medium grind already prepped in a large coffee mug>). I am a bit stand offish to the micros due to increased chance of dermo. I drink kava all day long, though, so I am also doing everything within reason to prevent dermo. I'm sure at some point I'll have some degree of it but I am as prepared as one can be... Low price to pay for the relaxation, yet alertness, I get from the kavas that I've tried so far. Kava Time Kavadu and Savusavu on the way too. I love that most have expiration dates on them that are pretty far away. I don't feel too much pressure to blow through my stash. Squanch must be cracked into later in the week as well. I've heard too many great things! lol. When has too many options become as issue?! :D
I reckon three to four years in the pantry should be fine if well stored.

Camaytoc

Kava Enthusiast
I'll add my top 4:
- Nambawan
- Kadavu
- Supreme
- Borogu

Interestingly, two are considered balanced and two heavy, therefor the Nambawan was really heady to me (but not only), stony and quite spiritual. So I'm glad I'm able to vibe with the heady thing as well as the heavy!

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
I'm not sure, but apparently they sell tonnes of it to various vendors & kavabars in the US where it is often rebranded, so I imagine it's more common than expected.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk
How are the effects. Its insanely expensive; but I just placed an order for the Kava Kauai stuff (called "5 Star Kava Root Power"). Says its "...made through a special process using green roots...".

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I’ve been consistently impressed with Chief’s Choice from Kava Vinaka and brought a kilo with me to Sudan. I also picked up some of the new Solomons batch that is available from Nakamal at Home and so far have really enjoyed its soothing, hypnotic, nice “night time” feeling.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
How are the effects. Its insanely expensive; but I just placed an order for the Kava Kauai stuff (called "5 Star Kava Root Power"). Says its "...made through a special process using green roots...".
It sounds like it is the same kava, as Fordham both calls his "5 star" and has a proportion of green root in the mix - from what I can make out basically instant in the mix.
It shouldn't be insanely expensive, as in Vanuatu it sells to dealers for standard current market price of about US$60/kg, the same as every other supplier.

Anyway - I find it strong with a long euphoric stage before slipping into sedation. Most Vanuatu kavas (fresh and dry) I find have a short but intense (30 -45 mins) euphoric stage before moving into the heavy sedation, but this one goes longer for my standard mix. I've finished a kilo in the last 10 days and am liking it a lot. How do you find it?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
It sounds like it is the same kava, as Fordham both calls his "5 star" and has a proportion of green root in the mix - from what I can make out basically instant in the mix.
It shouldn't be insanely expensive, as in Vanuatu it sells to dealers for standard current market price of about US$60/kg, the same as every other supplier.

Anyway - I find it strong with a long euphoric stage before slipping into sedation. Most Vanuatu kavas (fresh and dry) I find have a short but intense (30 -45 mins) euphoric stage before moving into the heavy sedation, but this one goes longer for my standard mix. I've finished a kilo in the last 10 days and am liking it a lot. How do you find it?

thanks, man, now I have to experiment with adding instants to my medium grind. If it's green Vanuatu, yes, I could see that accounting for some of the things I have seen in other kavas. VanuWAKA might just be nambawan with a bunch of green instant thrown in. I should have tried this long ago. Will report back. That might also explain RealKava (Kauai) saying on the package of 5-star you can just stir it in water and drink it, an odd recommendation for a medium grind.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast

I'll let you know when I get it!

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
thanks, man, now I have to experiment with adding instants to my medium grind. If it's green Vanuatu, yes, I could see that accounting for some of the things I have seen in other kavas. VanuWAKA might just be nambawan with a bunch of green instant thrown in. I should have tried this long ago. Will report back. That might also explain RealKava (Kauai) saying on the package of 5-star you can just stir it in water and drink it, an odd recommendation for a medium grind.
Very odd, indeed!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Very odd, indeed!
you know, one thing I always noticed with these particular kavas is that they are really strong on the first wash but weaker than usual on the second. Still worth doing, but doesn't yield anywhere near, whereas I can usually account for potency loss by dropping water ratios to keep potency even across washes and shells. Not complaining, these are incredibly good kavas, regardless of name or vendor, it's just primo root. It would explain it if there were instant in the grind, since that *would* mostly go in the first wash (but the rest, the medium grind in the mix, is leaving some excellent root in the makas, btw).

So, that would mean if I know what I'm doing through experimentation, I could get some vaguely similar types of added effects using various instants and various kavas. Hmmmmmmmm

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast

I just got my bag of Kava Kauai 5 Star. Its 10AM so I thought the most reasonable thing would be to prep 4 heaping tablespoons right away. The effects haven't started hitting me much yet; but I will comment that the grind is super fine and the taste is very unique. The taste is extremely smooth; you can tell its from Vanuatu, but that bitter peppery bite is very muted; almost like drinking a Fiji Lawena (but with some Vanuatu smell).

*Edit: Effects kicking in. I drank it on a full stomach (cause I wasn't expecting the 5 Star to get here today) so it might be different on an empty stomach. My initial impression is that it is quite potent, yet a very gentle mellow euphoria. I am also pretty short on sleep and it seemed to wake me up a little and sharpen my mind; but not in a edgy stimulating sort of way.
*Edit: I had a bit more. If it is the same product, I agree that it has a long lasting euphoria that tapers of into a nice sedation. Nap time.
**Edit: Tried the 5 Star again on a very empty stomach, about 7 heaping tbs in addition to a couple second washes that were sitting in the fridge My assessment: this stuff is potent!!!! I'm definitely krunked.

Last edited:

AlohaAimee

Kava Enthusiast
Kava Supreme is a new fav! Wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I do, and I love how well it works with the Allubottle. I'll be stocking up soon for sure.

I’ve been consistently impressed with Chief’s Choice from Kava Vinaka and brought a kilo with me to Sudan. I also picked up some of the new Solomons batch that is available from Nakamal at Home and so far have really enjoyed its soothing, hypnotic, nice “night time” feeling.
Is the Solomons batch a heavy hitter?

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I just got my bag of Kava Kauai 5 Star. Its 10AM so I thought the most reasonable thing would be to prep 4 heaping tablespoons right away. The effects haven't started hitting me much yet; but I will comment that the grind is super fine and the taste is very unique. The taste is extremely smooth; you can tell its from Vanuatu, but that bitter peppery bite is very muted; almost like drinking a Fiji Lawena (but with some Vanuatu smell).

*Edit: Effects kicking in. I drank it on a full stomach (cause I wasn't expecting the 5 Star to get here today) so it might be different on an empty stomach. My initial impression is that it is quite potent, yet a very gentle mellow euphoria. I am also pretty short on sleep and it seemed to wake me up a little and sharpen my mind; but not in a edgy stimulating sort of way.
*Edit: I had a bit more. If it is the same product, I agree that it has a long lasting euphoria that tapers of into a nice sedation. Nap time.
**Edit: Tried the 5 Star again on a very empty stomach, about 7 heaping tbs in addition to a couple second washes that were sitting in the fridge My assessment: this stuff is potent!!!! I'm definitely krunked.
I've been drinking this one lately and have to say it is one of my new favorites. It really does match the description of the klin 5 star described by @nabanga. I really like the taste and lack of side effects paired with the heavy, more sedating effects as the session continues. Being an evening only drinker, that euphoric and heavy profile is exactly what I want. Most of all I don't need to use a rediculous amount to feel good. It reminds me a lot of the old Wow kava that I used to love. It also looks and smells like the Nambawan I bought in early 2014 (still have a bit leftover).

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
I've been drinking this one lately and have to say it is one of my new favorites. It really does match the description of the klin 5 star described by @nabanga. I really like the taste and lack of side effects paired with the heavy, more sedating effects as the session continues. Being an evening only drinker, that euphoric and heavy profile is exactly what I want. Most of all I don't need to use a rediculous amount to feel good. It reminds me a lot of the old Wow kava that I used to love. It also looks and smells like the Nambawan I bought in early 2014 (still have a bit leftover).
Yeah, I was noticing the physical appearance looks pretty similar to Nangol, too.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Still working my way through a 40lb stockpile of Klin 5 star - 8lbs down 32 to go. It really is good - I am using half the quantity of any other kava that i have had, and even 10 excessive nights in a row I don't get over-dehydrated or red eyes, and can still do my 30km bike ride in good time.
Is this the elixir of life?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk