What's new

Kava Culture Spotted at #2 lagoon, Port Vila

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
One nakamal finally decided to stop selling 50vt shells. It was inevitable that somebody would make the first move. Green root is going for like 1200vt/kg now.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
2nd lagoon had a popular spot that a lot of people considered really good kava. I never bought anything under 150 anyway and always filled up a whole plastik as well. Not that I paid a lot of attention, but it never seemed like guys were buyin' 50s, I think some people start buyin' those when they're already deep into it after a few big shells.

What I'm wondering is, did they just stop selling 50s or does the amount of kava that was in a 50 now cost 100 instead ?

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
What I'm wondering is, did they just stop selling 50s or does the amount of kava that was in a 50 now cost 100 instead ?
Good question. Maybe by only selling bigger shells they hope to increase sales. Word gets around if any nakamal is watering down their kava or selling small shells. When this photo hit Yumi Toktok Stret on Facebook, the sentiment seemed split between "we support the management" and "screw those guys we can always buy kava somewhere else."

"It's that Bislama Drama 2, what I'm about to do, fill another plastik up long Nambatu Lagoon" --Nawarake

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Going by the leaves, vine, and tuber, I'm pretty sure those are yams. :)

Easy mistake to make since the heart-shaped leaves are very similar to kava leaves.

Last edited:

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
You're totally right that those vines don't look like kava at all. Where are the nodes? Why's it all tall and twisty?

Wikipedia said the new 50vt coin has "yams and kava" but now that you mention it, that's just yams.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
You're totally right that those vines don't look like kava at all. Where are the nodes? Why's it all tall and twisty?

Wikipedia said the new 50vt coin has "yams and kava" but now that you mention it, that's just yams.
I just checked my left over coins...it looks like the one with the vines on it is the old 50 vt piece but the newer coins are definitely kava:
50vt.JPG

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I guess the increase has been a long time coming..50vt has been the standard for almost 30 years now. I did notice the last few trips that the amount was getting smaller for 50vt though - just 2 gulps in some nakamals like the Epi one opposite the prison. A 100vt now about the volume a 50vt was a decade ago. If you weren't careful you used to be able to drown in a 150vt but now you barely get your nose wet.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk