What's new

Spring break Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Intense

Kava Enthusiast
I've been a regular kava drinker for several years. During the learning process, I've discovered many things about my interaction with kava. First, is to avoid all non-Noble types, because I drink kava to relax not be hung over the next day. The over main discovery has been to avoid high Kavain types since they defeat my purpose for drinking in the first place - they make me more anxious.

He is the real "rub", literally, as all regular consumers know, the stuff drys you out. This is the biggest issue for me. I have dry skin and hands, but the biggest problem for me are super dry nasal passages and eye styes. The styes are the final straw. I've been drinking kava on most days for the past year. The previous years I would only drink 3-4 days a week.

The drying we experience is not simply a result of dehydration, is it? I work hard at hydration and use every cream and ointment know to man (and women!), but still have issues!

The biggest bummer is that I'm in a very stressful season and kava is such a relief. Tell me about your breaks - do you take them? are they regularly scheduled? how long are they?

S

Summer

I started drinking kava last summer, and began drinking probably a few times a week. Fast forward to the winter months and I was drinking pretty much every day, but I would take a day off here and a day off there (maybe 3 days a month). That being said, my palms were starting to get deep crevasses, my lips were super dry and flaky to the point where I couldn't apply anything but a clear gloss, and I had some dry skin. While none of this was painful or even noticeable (with lots of lotions and balms), I took three days off in a row last week. My palms starting feeling pretty normal on day three, and the dry skin on my lips went completely away. The best part - zero physical withdrawal (just missing kava).

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
The drying we experience is not simply a result of dehydration, is it? I work hard at hydration and use every cream and ointment know to man (and women!), but still have issues!

The biggest bummer is that I'm in a very stressful season and kava is such a relief. Tell me about your breaks - do you take them? are they regularly scheduled? how long are they?
https://kavafaq.com/guide/dermopathy/

No, if it were just dehydration, then hydration would be able to fix it.

Personally, I like to take breaks. I don't schedule them, mostly because I'm not disciplined enough to. To totally avoid dermopathy while consuming high amounts and frequency, I imagine one's breaks would have to be pretty aggressive. Winter is definitely a good time to take a long term break though, as the dry air makes it noticeably worse.

Rishi678

Kava Curious
I only drink a few times a week max, and often take a few weeks off, so no need for breaks for the time being.

2Intense I have a question for you:

You mentioned you prefer strains that are lower in Kavain, can you give me a few examples please?

I have been drinking mainly Stone and Wow from Nakamal and they are both great, but I am curious as to which you like which do not induce any anxiety, as I have had some anxiety from drinking Kava once in a while in the past and might want to try a few different strains

Thanks!

2Intense

Kava Enthusiast
I only drink a few times a week max, and often take a few weeks off, so no need for breaks for the time being.

2Intense I have a question for you:

You mentioned you prefer strains that are lower in Kavain, can you give me a few examples please?

I have been drinking mainly Stone and Wow from Nakamal and they are both great, but I am curious as to which you like which do not induce any anxiety, as I have had some anxiety from drinking Kava once in a while in the past and might want to try a few different strains

Thanks!
Hey Rishi679 - I also drink Stone, but my go to is Boroguru from GHK. I find both very calming and will blend the two together as well. Just check the chemotype for any kava you are considering and avoid those that begin with a 4. IMO

https://kava.com/kava-information/kavalactone-chemotypes-decoded/

Rishi678

Kava Curious
Cool thanks so much I will do just that.

Yeah big fan of stone here, I find it has a nice balanced effects, though I prefer to mix it with some Wow!

I've been a regular kava drinker for several years. During the learning process, I've discovered many things about my interaction with kava. First, is to avoid all non-Noble types, because I drink kava to relax not be hung over the next day. The over main discovery has been to avoid high Kavain types since they defeat my purpose for drinking in the first place - they make me more anxious.

He is the real "rub", literally, as all regular consumers know, the stuff drys you out. This is the biggest issue for me. I have dry skin and hands, but the biggest problem for me are super dry nasal passages and eye styes. The styes are the final straw. I've been drinking kava on most days for the past year. The previous years I would only drink 3-4 days a week.

I had that creep up on me, and I noticed, dry hands, dry face, nasal passages, even weird dry ear canals, then finally styes, horrible styes. I stopped drinking it and I am waiting for my body to get back to normal, its been less than a week.

Attachments

2Intense

Kava Enthusiast
Hey Dvd...
I got an email with your contribution to this 3 yr old thread. I have not contributed to this forum in a while, but this timing of this was uncanny. I'm currently on a Kava, Spring Break. I continue my love / hate relationship with kava. I love the feeling and stress relieving qualities, but detest the side effects. Dryness is only a partial list. I'm much better managing the skin and eys issues. Obviously, you're in the "self care" phase. Warm compress...warm compress...warm compress! For prevention try cleaning eyes lids with Thera tears SteriLid. You'll get better! All the best
IMG_3236 (002).JPG

ThePiper

Kava Lover
If i got styes like that i think it have to stop for a while. I've felt the irritation that i assume can lead to steyes at the base of my eyelash before but it hasn't ever amounted to anything thus far thankfully. Good luck with finding a solution, it looks painful.

Camaytoc

Kava Enthusiast
For me, strangly, the more Ir drink the less dry\skin issues occur. I had to stop 2 weeks because of a trip and when I've restarted daily drinking I've got dry hands back a few days. Thats all about my experiances!

Status
Not open for further replies.