What's new

Sri Lanka and kava

spoco

Anyone know what is the kava status in Sri Lanka? Is it legal for tourists to bring some kava root with them there?

I can't find any info on this topic and Sri Lankan embassy in my country did't respond to my question for two month now and in one week I'm going to fly there.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Anyone know what is the kava status in Sri Lanka? Is it legal for tourists to bring some kava root with them there?

I can't find any info on this topic and Sri Lankan embassy in my country did't respond to my question for two month now and in one week I'm going to fly there.
According to the Sri Lankan customs they operate under "Conventions against Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act No 1 of 2008". Kava currently isn't named in the act. It looks like the UAE sought to add it in 2015 (not surprising. I wouldn't take myself to the UAE), but it has not been. You're right though. There isn't much information available out there on this topic other than one question on "Trip Advisor" that was never answered and closed by the staff.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Like most of asia, kava has no status one way or the other in sri lanka, so whilst it isnt illegal, it may get treated with suspicion by customs if you get stopped but it will not be on their list of substances to look out for.
I have carried 5kg+ into many asian countries and never had it confiscated even after inspection - so you will probably be fine.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
My advice is to just always carry Kava in a sealed, labeled bag. Customs has never even asked me what Kava is in the 40 or so times I’ve gone through international airports. I only get questions when I’m carrying sealed electronics (usually bringing them for staff) and they want to try and collect duties or demand a bribe.

spoco

Thanks. I am in Lanka right now. I packet 2x 0.5kg in vacuum sealed bags (not in branded packages becouse I import kava directly from my friend from Fiji). No problem, my backpack went threw airport's customs without any questions asked. Bula.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Thanks. I am in Lanka right now. I packet 2x 0.5kg in vacuum sealed bags (not in branded packages becouse I import kava directly from my friend from Fiji). No problem, my backpack went threw airport's customs without any questions asked. Bula.
Thank you for letting us know. We'll be able to answer the next person who asks this question thanks to your response.

Bula!