What's new

Stomach isn't up to the task

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalmia_latifolia

Dad, scientist, gardener, living in the SE USA
While I've really been digging kava, my stomach just can't really handle it anymore (gassy discomfort and gut-emptying shits the next morning). For reference, I tend to drink KWK Damu, Borogu, Loa Waka, Vula Waka, and Dua no Bilo. Anyway, as far as I can tell those are almost all waka exclusive, or waka heavy blends, and I've read that others are more sensitive to waka than lawena. I just put in an order for a pound of bestfijiankava.com AAA lawena, I'm hoping that it will be easier on the belly. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Regardless of the kava you go with next, try making weaker batches so that it won't cause you as much stomach discomfort. Use more water or less root, or both.

I also eat a small meal sometimes before drinking kava, despite the general conclusion that it will hit you stronger on an empty stomach, there is nothing wrong with a little bite to ease any stomach problems.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
What's your prep method? It could be that a finer strainer might help. It will lessen the effects a little but can make quite a difference to stomach issues. My other suggestion is to try an instant and see how you get on with that.

kalmia_latifolia

Good points Krunky. Edward, I'm using a high-speed blender followed by straining through a 180 mesh nylon filter (100 micron pore size). This results in a very smooth drink with only a moderate amount of sediment. I think it's probably pretty fine on the scale of filters, as I have to really squeeze the liquid (even when it's mostly water) to get it to come through. I usually do 4-6 washes, following the lead of Mr. McCrunkface. Early washes definitely seem to upset my stomach more than later ones, but I'll try watering it down to see if this helps.

I had some Moi instant last night and it was fine on my stomach, but I it was also a fairly light dose (~ 1 tbsp). I also took a few days off, my last Kava was on Saturday. I might just have to lower my kava use frequency.

Thanks for the help fellas!

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Good points Krunky. Edward, I'm using a high-speed blender followed by straining through a 180 mesh nylon filter (100 micron pore size). This results in a very smooth drink with only a moderate amount of sediment. I think it's probably pretty fine on the scale of filters, as I have to really squeeze the liquid (even when it's mostly water) to get it to come through. I usually do 4-6 washes, following the lead of Mr. McCrunkface. Early washes definitely seem to upset my stomach more than later ones, but I'll try watering it down to see if this helps.

I had some Moi instant last night and it was fine on my stomach, but I it was also a fairly light dose (~ 1 tbsp). I also took a few days off, my last Kava was on Saturday. I might just have to lower my kava use frequency.

Thanks for the help fellas!
100 micron is actually quite large, you could try 75 and 50 and see if either of those make a difference. One other point is that it's hard work putting it all through the strainer in one go. Why not put it through a clean nylon ankle high or similar and then through your finer strainer to catch the smaller particles?

kalmia_latifolia

100 micron is actually quite large, you could try 75 and 50 and see if either of those make a difference. One other point is that it's hard work putting it all through the strainer in one go. Why not put it through a clean nylon ankle high or similar and then through your finer strainer to catch the smaller particles?
Fair enough- I'll try letting any solids settle out and will dry them down as a @Krunkie McKrunkface 'special instant'.
In the meantime, I got some bestfijikava.com's AAA lawena (I've never tried pure lawena before), and it seems much easier on the stomach. 3 Tbsp got me feeing really nice, with no stomach upset. That stuff was cheap, too ($37/lb with $8 shipping). Definitely happy with that buy!

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Instant is a good route. Also like krunky said a little food (reasonable carbs or protein) should help. Dairy sometimes yucks it up. Healthy eating minimizes the side effects for me. You may also find that you go through periods of gross reactions and then you'll have a period where you can drink kava at any time without issue. That's been my experience at least.

kalmia_latifolia

Instant is a good route. Also like krunky said a little food (reasonable carbs or protein) should help. Dairy sometimes yucks it up. Healthy eating minimizes the side effects for me. You may also find that you go through periods of gross reactions and then you'll have a period where you can drink kava at any time without issue. That's been my experience at least.
Yeah, that seems to square with my own experiences. I had 3 Tbsps of lawena last night and was fine. I eat pretty well on average, lots of greens, whole grains, beans, fruit, etc. But I think my stomach is more sensitive than the average person, and drinking tons of kava on empty isn't really a good thing for me to do. I'll experiment with eating a bit of kinda non-absorbent food, like almonds, at the same time as drinking. I did that last night and it didn't dampen the buzz too badly. Thanks for the tips everyone. Also, bestfijikava.com's AAA lawena really does seem like a good deal at $37/lb!

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I have no problem with eating maybe a couple handfuls of nuts or a banana etc with a kava session, especially directly after the initial shell(s). Makes sure stomach discomfort won't have a chance to set in. If you don't eat too much you can go back to drinking more kava. I also don't personally find small amounts of food kill the feels at all. Sometimes improves the experience too.

N

Noname

Sometimes best thing to do is just take a few days off Milk thistle will help too. Few days off doesn't sound good but the kava sessions are even better after few days off lol

Status
Not open for further replies.