What's new

Stomach Issues Cure

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjrinehart27

Kava Curious
I've been lurking here for quite a while, but haven't posted much. First, I'd just like to say thanks to everyone that does; this forum is a wealth of knowledge.

Recently, the stomach issues I get from Kava are starting to get rather unpleasant. Within 10-15 minutes of drinking it, I get a wave a nausea that takes hours to dissipate (usually once I go to sleep), alone with a running nose and shortness of breath. I primarily drink BHK 11 Year Waka and KwK Fiji Waka, both micro. Mostly I drink it at night or once I get home from work. I also eat 3-5 Kavafied candies throughout the day, but they don't seem to bother me. At most, I drink 4-8 tablespoons spread out over several hours. I drink plenty of water throughout the day and before/after my Kava sessions. I've tried drinking it on a full stomach (helps but I get almost no effect) and eating fruit immediately after drinking Kava (doesn't really help). Any advice to help me get rid of these issues? Kava is a godsend for my anxiety and insomnia.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Micro causes more stomach upset than traditional. Maybe switch to medium grind. Chewing on a piece of ginger can help with nausea.

Kava is a gentle mistress, but sometimes you can get into habits where you focus on particular effects. Watch the horizon, don't worry 'bout the motion of the ocean :)

N

Noname

Maybe you are way too hungry when you drink kava. That can cause nausea

You need a different type of kava.everyone is different

Your strainer cloth is too thin and too much sediment is passing through cloth

Sensitive stomach

Some strains cause more nausea than others .

Maybe try eating crackers between shells see if that helps.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
4-8 tablespoons of micro every day? Micro is amazing for its potency... But I second the suggestion of trying medium grind. I don't know what kind of strainer everyone is using, but I've been happy with Kavafied's beginner one.
4-8 tablespoons of powder seems like a lot of extra material in your gut.

The shortness of breath and runny nose is weird. Could that be a secondary effect of the nausea?

Last edited:

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I've been lurking here for quite a while, but haven't posted much. First, I'd just like to say thanks to everyone that does; this forum is a wealth of knowledge.

Recently, the stomach issues I get from Kava are starting to get rather unpleasant. Within 10-15 minutes of drinking it, I get a wave a nausea that takes hours to dissipate (usually once I go to sleep), alone with a running nose and shortness of breath. I primarily drink BHK 11 Year Waka and KwK Fiji Waka, both micro. Mostly I drink it at night or once I get home from work. I also eat 3-5 Kavafied candies throughout the day, but they don't seem to bother me. At most, I drink 4-8 tablespoons spread out over several hours. I drink plenty of water throughout the day and before/after my Kava sessions. I've tried drinking it on a full stomach (helps but I get almost no effect) and eating fruit immediately after drinking Kava (doesn't really help). Any advice to help me get rid of these issues? Kava is a godsend for my anxiety and insomnia.

Micro is definitely the most nauseating way to ingest kava. Instant is much easier on your stomach and more potent. Medium grind also gives you more options in straining but your usually trading some strength for stomach comfort. Nausea does seem to get better over time, though (it did for me). Are you really noticing shortness of breath or is it increased heart rate effecting your breathing? Temporary increased heart rate seems to be a normal side effect, especially during the rush... Runny nose used to be commonly reported also, usually happening with stronger varieties. I haven't experienced it much lately but having to blow my nose after downing a shell was usually a sign of very pleasant feelings to come.

mjrinehart27

Kava Curious
I've tried medium grind with the Aluball several times before and get the same stomach issues. I also forgot to mention in my initial post that I also have Celiac Disease (gluten in any form destroys my intestines), which means my stomach is prone to discomfort already. I didn't think the amount of micro I was doing was all that much, and it tends to be spread out over at least 4 hours, usually closer to 6. The shortness of breath may be a combination of the minor effect Kava has on me combined with my asthma. None of these symptoms are enough to cause me to stop, as Kava is the only non-narcotic solution I've found to my anxiety and sleep issues; they're definitely annoying though.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
That amount of micro is typically what I would use but more than most people probably do. I would recommend trying BKH instant green. It seems to be easy on the stomach and is the most mild tasting kava I have tasted. It's the only kind that I can drink without a chaser.

Status
Not open for further replies.