What's new

Storage

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
I have seen some say 10 days "Your kava drink should be stored in the refrigerator and will keep for up to 2 weeks!" http://www.kavabyrex.com/makekava.html

and others 2 or 3 days in the fridge and others talk of freezing.

I wish to make at least a weeks worth at a time due to a hectic schedule.

Would I need to freeze it or would an air tight container in the fridge be fine.

ApéroNoble

Apologies I did not make myself clear. I am inquiring about Kava I will freshly make in liquid ready to drink form for the whole week from root powder and how to make it last for the week.

Basically my schedule is such that I will need to prepare the Kava all at once and need to find out how to make it last the whole seven days or is the link I made on the 10 days in the fridge and still staying fresh correct.

Last edited:

infraredz

BULA!
I've refrigerate kava for 8 days (once, and only once) early on in my kava drinking times. The kava was just as potent as on it would be on the day I made it, but the taste was absolutely wretched. Granted, it was Stone and it was early on, before I had developed a tolerance for the taste.

I don't think that the problem with storing kava is necessarily the potency (or lack thereof), but rather the taste. I found that after a couple days of sitting in the fridge (which I still do on occasion) the taste starts to become unsavory. I rarely refrigerate my kava for more than 3 days now which is what I consider the max amount of time before the taste starts to deteriorate.

I'm not sure you will be able to keep it fresh tasting for a week, although freezing would be worth a shot although I haven't had any experience with that personally.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I agree with infraredz.

Anything past 3 days I would freeze. For the first 3 days I would find 3 containers that would individually hold your kava. Each of these containers should be able to hold your kava with very little room for air to prevent oxidation of your beverage. I'd shake them once a day as well to prevent sediment from welding itself to the bottom of your container. Freezing it really will hold it indefinitely.

infraredz

BULA!
I have no doubt that the reason my kava tasted so awful was because I didn't cover my big bowl so there was more oxidation than you would have if you used containers that leave very little room for air. I remember seeing, maybe on TV, some containers that are made for storing liquid-like things that had a vacuum-like apparatus. Kinda like a bottle that had a little button that you pressed and pressed as the air was "pumped" out.

That was years ago (and I was under the influence of some strong psychedelics...), but I bet that there is some similar product out there for storing liquids designed to make them "keep" better.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if this product was something that my friends and I came up with when we had "opened our minds up" :wacky:

ApéroNoble

Appreciate the feedback everyone. I will be using Stone and hoping for better than what I have experienced with gaia and herb pharm Kava liquid extracts. Also have used lots of Yogi tea Kava in the past.

I will post back how they compare for me once I get the Stone, if anyone has insights on the comparisons it would be interesting to hear.

infraredz

BULA!
Oh wow, you are in for a treat. :D

Yogi tea is, well, useless. Those liquid extracts (which can potentially be harmful) and the Gaia stuff is also pure trash. For example, one day I found a bottle of the Gaia stuff and I had a reward coupon (of which I had no real use for) so I bought it as a little test to see what amount was necessary to equal a "normal" strength kava drink. I found that I needed to take 16-18 caps to feel what I was used to, and even then, the experience was lacking a lot in terms of the effects.

I don't think they are bad at all for people wishing to break through a RT, but that's pretty much all they are good for. I'm glad you found us here and found some real kava. That Stone will really be a treat compared to that other stuff.
I hate to be that guy, but I recommend that you start low (3tbsp) and make the kava, drink and see how you feel. If you want more, add 1tbsp and repeat until you find your optimal level. Let me tell you that Stone is still incredibly powerful and can definitely wreak some havoc if you overdo it (although some people seem to like this "krunk" state, but I always just get very nauseous and vomit).

Enjoy!:)

ApéroNoble

Thanks for the feedback. I have had some trouble with the liquid extracts making me feel, "not really so much depressed but a down and out feeling" which after I switched to drinking
which is the Yogi "no Kava" stress relief formula went away.

I am hoping the Stone will not have the same reaction for me as the liquid extracts, as I do very much like some of the benefits I found from Kava.

What is the feeling on the necessity of taking breaks from the Stone whether it be a break of 1 or 2 days out of the week or say a month off, or would one be fine drinking it everyday.

Last edited:

infraredz

BULA!
It would be safe to drink Stone everyday, but bear in mind that Stone falls on the "heavy" side of the spectrum meaning it is very sedating and has a very strong muscle-relaxant effect (sinking into the couch/feel like a stone). While it's not a tudei kava, it is so potent and heavy that you could theoretically find it has a significantly long-lasting effect. Also, I've found that the heavier kavas aren't as good for me when I'm feeling sad but they are great for anxiety.

I would also try out a more kavain-rich kava. Bula Kava House (and possibly other vendors) has a sampler which is always a good way to start. Everyone responds to kava differently, and different strains can have dramatically different effects.

Skywalker

Kava Enthusiast
I left a batch of Kava sealed in a container on the windowsill for a week.

When I came back it was carbonated. :dead:

Even kava in the fridge will ferment slightly. I wouldn't go past a day or two myself.

KavaGurl

The Original Kava Forum Mama
LOL..thanks @Noueky..but don't let the name fool you..I aquired all my kava skillz from our happy well rooted family here..they all are fab mentors!