What's new

Straining

KAVATOM

Kava Curious
Hi, I'm new to the forum but not to Kava. I use to drink it weekly for a few years back in the 90's but because I was never able to find a reliable vendor with consistent supply or quality, I pretty much gave up on it. Until now! So, after a long hiatus, I find the internet allows a much greater wealth of info regarding Kava and at least several legitimate vendors.

Anyway, I use to prep my Kava by blending it with water and lecithin for a while and then chugging the whole concoction down. No straining. Now that I've been reading up on Kava and the potential for liver damage, I'm wondering if not straining the emulsion could be harmful or not. I usually use 3-4 tablespoons of Kava per session, which seems low compared to a lot of posters on the forum. So I guess my question is do you folks think there would be any more of the "unwanted" chemicals ingested by not straining 4 tbsp. of root than people who do strain their brew but are using a higher amount of root in their extraction to begin with? It seems to me that this may all even out in the end, no? It's not that I'm opposed to straining per se, just lazy and ingesting the root has always worked for me before with no problems.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Personally, I avoid "toss and wash" (as we call it here) because it causes me intestinal discomfort. In addition, yes, you'll be ingesting 100% of whatever is in the root. On the plus side you are getting all of the kavalactones, but you are also getting the potentially hepatotoxic flavokawain B. Flavokawain B is present in all kava but there isn't much in noble kava. Water extractions also extract very little of it, so yes, I'd say you are getting more than the person (me) using 8 tbsp and straining it.

All of that is a very long way of saying I can't really quantify the health risk of toss and wash, all I can say is that water extractions of kava have a pretty long and safe history of use and I don't get along well with toss and wash so I do it the traditional way.

BTW I think you can skip the lecithin and blending if you're just drinking it all. No need to extract anything when your stomach does it for you.

KAVATOM

Kava Curious
Thanks. So does that mean that the Flovokawain B isn't water soluble? If so, then I guess straining would be the way to go. Also, if it isn't water soluble, I would think adding lecithin would probably extract more of it than using plain water alone.

KAVATOM

Kava Curious
Thanks Kavadude. The research info is contained in a link in that post by Tyler. Based on that, water extraction hardly pulls any Flavo B compared to the other methods. I guess it's better to be safe than sorry and go with the straining.

D

Deleted User01

I'm with KavaDude, straining is best. Both blending and straining for the maximum effect. I did a bunch of that this morning. Besides the liver thing, I think the Dermo problems pop up with more frequency with the toss and washers. I love micronized but I limit myself to about twice a week just to play it safe. Honestly, don't just strain, give it an extra squeeze in the strainer to release more Kavalactones.

KAVATOM

Kava Curious
I'll definitely make sure to squeeze it out well Deleted User01. The more I think about it, maybe straining isn't such a bad thing after all. If Kava were too easy to prepare I'd be tempted to fix up a batch every night while the extra steps that go along with kneading and straining will probably dissuade from partaking except for a few times a week.

D

Deleted User01

Kavatom. I made 2.5 (16oz) bottles of Grog this morning. I don't intend to prepare anymore this week. They are in the fridge at my beck and call. The whole procedure took 45 mins. and included 2 strains of Kava and a second wash at the end. Prep is a pain.