What's new

Strains with the lowest kavain and desmethoxyyangonin content?

VictoriousSpoon

Kava Curious
I have read kavain and desmethoxyyangonin are two kavalactones that may have dopamine reuptake inhibition activity. I have already noticed gaining a dopamine tolerance after consuming kava for 4 consecutive days. High dopamine levels also interfere with sleep at night. I plan on cutting back to only 2-3 days a week, but to prevent future premature tolerances and interference with sleep, what kava strains have the lowest kavain and desmethoxyyangonin content?

Thanks!

Mo'iety

Kava Enthusiast
Most kava is low in desmethoxyyangonin - that kavalactone is often in last or second-to-last position in the chemotype. For low kavain, you'll be looking for heavy, rather than heady, cultivars. These have higher amounts of dihydrokavain relative to kavain. Also, just nitpicking, kavalactones likely increase dopamine through MAO-B inhibition, not dopamine reuptake inhibition. The end result is similar, but kava leads to only a mild increase in dopamine according to the few studies I've read on the topic. I wouldn't be too concerned about kava causing dopamine tolerance. Much stronger dopaminergic pharmaceuticals, despite their downsides, often don't cause tolerance at therapeutic doses.

VictoriousSpoon

Kava Curious
Most kava is low in desmethoxyyangonin - that kavalactone is often in last or second-to-last position in the chemotype. For low kavain, you'll be looking for heavy, rather than heady, cultivars. These have higher amounts of dihydrokavain relative to kavain. Also, just nitpicking, kavalactones likely increase dopamine through MAO-B inhibition, not dopamine reuptake inhibition. The end result is similar, but kava leads to only a mild increase in dopamine according to the few studies I've read on the topic. I wouldn't be too concerned about kava causing dopamine tolerance. Much stronger dopaminergic pharmaceuticals, despite their downsides, often don't cause tolerance at therapeutic doses.
Aye yes I saw in the wiki writeup that all 6 kavalactones have MAO-B inhibitor activity, but it also stated that the two aforementioned kavalactones may also have reuptake inhibitor activity.

I know it is causing dopamine downregulation, because I take an ADHD medication daytime for work that is dopaminergic heavy; since I started taking kava, it has dramatically reduced in effectiveness oevr the course of the last 4 days that I have been taking kava. I'm going to spend the rest of the week off kava, and see what happens.
I may have to save kava for weekends from now on, I think.

Last edited: