What's new

Supplement or Drug? It is up to YOU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Procyk

Noble Kava
Kava Vendor
It should be noted that, with an entire section on "Medicinal Usage" of kava, that it is careful no claims be made about it, particularly by vendors.

Making claims about a substance is, in the eyes of the FDA, what causes it to be considered a "drug" rather than a "supplement" and can result in greater scrutiny generally, as well cease-and-desist letters, etc.

Just wanted to put that out there to keep everyone safe and secure in their habits/hobbies.

Cheers!

Iahi

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Andrew, in the terms and rules of kavaforums there is this line

By agreeing to terms user understands that kava has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Kava product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Do you feel like this is enough, or should the title of the subforum be modified?

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
It's such a stupid semantic dance. God forbid a "supplement" actually produces a demonstrated effect without some authority poking around. You can sell shark cartilage to cancer patients all day long and nobody cares, but kava risks being essentially demonized simply because it actually does what it's supposed to.

Also, Vitamin c is used to treat illness, does that make it a drug? What about amino acids?

All this language is so ambiguous in my opinion. The fact that this awesome herb exists and helps so many people actually puts it at risk of being controlled.

I hate that we have to play word games and persistently operate in some sort of grey area around kava and botanicals in general. So stupid.

Andrew Procyk

Noble Kava
Kava Vendor
Hmmm... wote this the other day, but it wasn't posted, yet it was here in the window when I returned. Anyway, guess I'll try hitting the "Post" button again:

One can agree to terms and conditions, but if one agrees to them, then makes recommendations like "Kava is good to treat anxiety" (<-----Used only as an example.) and they happen to be a vendor, it would still likely be seen as a claim. Just want to make sure people are careful with all the negative attention as it is. I found out MORE to the sordid Florida story over the past 24 hours, and have some mixed feelings. Will keep you on the up-and-up. Hoping to talk to Jimmy Scianno today, as well as a writer from down there, at the same time I have to run out of town.

Take care,
Iahi

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
Repost

The posts on this forum or any other Kava Forums forum are the personal opinions and experiences of the respective posters and are not endorsed by anyone else, or potentially even the poster.

None of the statements on any forum in this web site have been evaluated by the FDA, nor the British Royal Family (TM).

Furthermore, none of the statements in this web site should be construed as dispensing medical advise, making claims regarding the cure of or prevention of diseases. You, the kavasseur, must listen to your body and use common sense when drinking kava.

You should consult a licensed health care professional before starting any supplement, dietary, or exercise program, especially if you are pregnant or have any pre-existing liver, psychological, or medical conditions.

Furthermore, the FDA sucks. They are the government arm of Big Pharma. They sued Diamond Walnuts for simply linking to peer reviewed scientific studies on the benefits of walnuts. http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_26095.cfm

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Ah man it's good to see you back. I was worried we would never be graced by royalty again. I've put up the whole list of disclaimers. If you click terms and agreements at the bottom you can read through that exhaustive list. Let me know if I've missed anything and I'll add it.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Oh and if you want I can install a few robots that offer us kitchens and purses.

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
Plenty of supplements have marked effects. The substances in them, while not claimed to be drugs are in fact drugs in their own right. Valerian root for example. Stuff might as well be a weak benzodiazepine with a short half life. Attaches to the bzd receptor and has similar effects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
I thought the whole FDA thing ought to be in the forum as well as in the disclaimer thingy. In all likelyhood, the FDA isn't going to do anything to anyone regarding what we're saying in the forums (vendors may be held to a slightly higher standard).

People who have a beef with the FDA find them to be a limiting factor in competition. Since we're specifically talking kava instead of anti-anxiety medication, kava instead of pain killers, kava instead of just going-postal one day (wait, that's not a prescription medication), the FDA could potentially act to keep shareholder value high. I'm not sure that's likely to happen, as we're also providing a valuable service to the drug companies in that sitting around listening to music and talking about kava on kava is better for their image than us sitting around and listening to music and talking about kava on Xanax or Ativan or Bayer Heroin. On the other hand, if they have issues with walnuts and cherries being "new drugs" and making "drug claims," what chance would kava stand?

D

Deleted User01

And a big Howdy to Prince Philip. Welcome back. It's nice to see most of the old gang back in the new forum. Now if only Ouroboros would return ...

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Unfortunately language like this is necessary. I'm vary careful not to say "kava can treat this". I do explain how kava has helped me but make it clear it's what it does for me and not that it's used for treating something specific.

I find it's better to refer them to the resources posted in our research and studies section while making sure they also pay attention to Kava's history and roll in South Pacific life.

Status
Not open for further replies.