What's new

Taking Kava through UK customs

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
Before I pack my case - carry on and check in, anyone know FOR SURE, is I can take into the UK 2 or 3 small packets of kava for personal use? I don't really want to pack them in my check-in case - lost luggage/lost contents. But don't want them to take away anything security might take away here in LA. I'm traveling Air New Zealand. Nothing I can find on their website. I should look on the GB customs website, but just had 2 shells of micronised mo'i and I cant be bothered to move. By the way, GHK, lovely stuff. I thought I'd ordered the Makahea, but I actually like this one much better. I think the Makahea makes my eyes dry and irritated.

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
Umm yea, slightly odd phrasing up there in my post. Sorry! "If" I can take (not "is) and " I don't want TSA to take anything away here in LA".
Thanks for listening....!

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
Never mind, I'll leave you guys to your quiet Sunday! I just checked and although kava kava is mentioned on the opening page as not being allowed in - even for personal use - it's not on the updated list. But what the heck, I can't take my muesli! I mean, really, when will the madness end?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Honestly I'm not sure we'll be able to answer that question accurately. Best bet is to check the local laws regarding kava. From what I'm reading, if they find it, they'll take it.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I would just take it. Kava is sold in the UK (Holland & Barret etc). The worst thing that can happen is they take it - there are no fines or other penalties.
I have taken kilo bags of kava into the UK, NZ, Aus, Laos, Vietnam & Cambodia with no problems. I was once stopped & inspected in NZ which has some of the strictest biosecurity rules in the world, with both dry powder and frozen fresh green liquid in 2 litre drink bottles, and they let me through.

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
thanks guys! How small? Certainly not a kilo! I'm just hoping to take 3 of the sample packs from GHK as I won't get the chance to drink every day, and I'm basically going to use it for a those moments when my elderly Mom drives me slightly insane and I can feel the anxiety buiilding. I'm tapering of ativan (0.25mgs a day) right now, and will undoubtedly be calling in at the local pub with by bruddah a couple of times. So can't mix!

I just don't want to be carted off in handcuffs and paying a hefty fine for not declaring and bringing in illegal goods. Be a fun story to tell the grandkids one day far down the road, but I think I'd likely be in tears!

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
I would just take it. Kava is sold in the UK (Holland & Barret etc). The worst thing that can happen is they take it - there are no fines or other penalties.
I have taken kilo bags of kava into the UK, NZ, Aus, Laos, Vietnam & Cambodia with no problems. I was once stopped & inspected in NZ which has some of the strictest biosecurity rules in the world, with both dry powder and frozen fresh green liquid in 2 litre drink bottles, and they let me through.
Do they sell the powder or just the supplements? I've found one european vendor in England but their stuff is damned expensive and it doesn't say a whole heap about the instant kava. At a pinch I can buy from them, if customs take my teeny stash away from me. Makes me laugh that they let you bring in a ton of alcoholic spirits for personal use, but not kava.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I think its just the supplements they sell in the UK health shops (which are mostly just tiny amounts of powder in a capsule). I am not entirely sure of the legal status at the moment but personally I would just take it and plead ignorance if stopped. The rules change so often that, as far as customs are concerned, it is reasonable for you to be "out of date" I think.

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
thanks nabanga. Yea, the supplements wouldn't work for me. And I checked their website and can't find kava supps anywhere. So anyway, I found a thread created by Kava Europe - based in UK and sell throughout Europe - and seems like this month the government is considering lifting the ban. At the moment, KE sells "for research purposes only" and cannot comment on any of the kava they sell.
Yea, I will plead ignorance of the rules, because several places I looked didn't mention kava (one place did, however!), so i didn't see that one! Plus I have ordered a small supply of instant kava from Kava Europe - purely for research of course. And that should be waiting for me when I arrive. Told dear mother not to open the package!