What's new

Tested positive for Ecstasy (MDMA) after a long session yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

zooksman

So yesterday I had a long kava session, mostly toss and wash, and I probably ended up consuming somewhere around ten tablespoons. It was enough to make me feel amazing that night but I felt pretty hungover, nauseous, and cranky this morning for like four or five hours, and even thinking of kava right now makes me sick. (In case you're wondering why I toss and wash, it's because I am a poor college student and I get waaaayyyy more out of the same amount of toss and wash than the traditional method. Though this hangover may convince me to quit.) Anyway, I went into the doctor today for an evaluation that included a urine drug test. It was a cup with some labels on the outside, not one of those super cheap strips but nothing crazy scientific looking either. As I went in to see the doctor she asked if I had taken ecstasy and informed me that I had tested positive for it. Luckily she believed me that it was a false positive and it didn't affect me. That said, I have heard a few very rare reports of this occurring.

Is this something worth investigating? I would love to just throw it out as a complete false positive but this isn't the first report of it happening. Granted, I'm sure consuming that much kava via toss and wash is probably more likely to exacerbate that kind of thing. However, if this is a real thing it could possibly affect people who have to take random drug tests. For reference, I was using medium grind Kadavu Waka from Kava Time (great stuff by the way!) and I'm not on any other kinds of medications or supplements besides CBD oil (which also tested me positive for THC, yikes!)

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
So yesterday I had a long kava session, mostly toss and wash, and I probably ended up consuming somewhere around ten tablespoons. It was enough to make me feel amazing that night but I felt pretty hungover, nauseous, and cranky this morning for like four or five hours, and even thinking of kava right now makes me sick. (In case you're wondering why I toss and wash, it's because I am a poor college student and I get waaaayyyy more out of the same amount of toss and wash than the traditional method. Though this hangover may convince me to quit.) Anyway, I went into the doctor today for an evaluation that included a urine drug test. It was a cup with some labels on the outside, not one of those super cheap strips but nothing crazy scientific looking either. As I went in to see the doctor she asked if I had taken ecstasy and informed me that I had tested positive for it. Luckily she believed me that it was a false positive and it didn't affect me. That said, I have heard a few very rare reports of this occurring.

Is this something worth investigating? I would love to just throw it out as a complete false positive but this isn't the first report of it happening. Granted, I'm sure consuming that much kava via toss and wash is probably more likely to exacerbate that kind of thing. However, if this is a real thing it could possibly affect people who have to take random drug tests. For reference, I was using medium grind Kadavu Waka from Kava Time (great stuff by the way!) and I'm not on any other kinds of medications or supplements besides CBD oil (which also tested me positive for THC, yikes!)
I've had lab tests, UAs and hair tests. Every one of them while continually drinking kava. Never have I thrown a false positive. The urine test strip was most likely old. I'd ask them to send it to lab if it's something you'd like to know further, but I bet it was just a faulty UA. They're notorious.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast

Maybe they forgot to give you fresh pee cup :p

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Maybe this is why their kava is so expensive. :ROFLMAO:

I saw your Reddit post on this actually. Made me laugh to tears imagining ‘what if’ the kava had some extra pixie dust in it. Like wow! This kava makes me feel so amazing! My bedsheets feel like the finest silk!

But seriously, it’s probably either the test itself or some other thing you came across in life that made it test this way.

Does anyone remember when a lavender bubble bath for babies was causing pregnant women and their newborns to falsely test positive for marijuana? It was a whole thing.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
You aren't the first person to claim this. I've heard multiple claims from people that took state mandated UAs and tested positive for MDMA. Honestly, I think there's something to it.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
If the test is really sensitive to MDxx chemicals, it could be Kava giving the false positive. In 15 yrs of reading Kava stories online, I’ve only seen people make this claim 3 times or so. Since there are more than 1 drug in the MDxx class of Entactogens (MDA, MDMA, MDE, MDEA...) this particular test might just detect the “MD” part as a catch-all for the whole group...even though it’s possible to have chemicals that are both relatively innocuous or much more egregious that have the “MD” in it.

Methysticin, which is one of kava’s main kavalactones, happens to share a partially similar (or nearly identical) chemical structure, which is probably why it tripped your test. Either that or you did an MDxx drug...or their test malfunctioned.

I see you were drinking strong amounts of Fijian kava, guess what, Fijian kava is known for having a higher percentage of Methysticin in their roots (overall) than other islands. Which lends more evidence toward my MD theory.

8D91C05D-60BE-424E-9C29-6304912899E5.jpeg

(Safrole is the precursor used to make MDMA and is found in Sassafras roots, as well as a Pepper shrub VERY similar looking to Kava called Piper Auritum...and in some other plants as well.)

Also, I’m probably gonna buy some KT Kadavu now.
::chugger::

Last edited:

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
If the test is really sensitive to MDxx chemicals, it could be Kava giving the false positive. In 15 yrs of reading Kava stories online, I’ve only seen people make this claim 3 times or so. Since there are more than 1 drug in the MDxx class of Entactogens (MDA, MDMA, MDE, MDEA...) this particular test might just detect the “MD” part as a catch-all for the whole group...even though it’s possible to have chemicals that are both relatively innocuous or much more egregious that have the “MD” in it.

Methysticin, which is one of kava’s main kavalactones, happens to share a partially similar (or nearly identical) chemical structure, which is probably why it tripped your test. Either that or you did an MDxx drug...or their test malfunctioned.

I see you were drinking strong amounts of Fijian kava, guess what, Fijian kava is known for having a higher percentage of Methysticin in their roots (overall) than other islands. Which lends more evidence toward my MD theory.

View attachment 9495
(Safrole is the precursor used to make MDMA and is found in Sassafras roots, as well as a Pepper shrub VERY similar looking to Kava called Piper Auritum...and in some other plants as well.)

The chemotype given on their website (not sure if it is up to date) lists Methysticin in the first position.
*Edit: Ah, it does look like their chemotype might be up to date; the original chemotype given for Kadavu was 246513; currently it says 643251; but it still looks like that might be from Spring of 2017 (as opposed to the original one from 2016). I thought it had to be different, cause I distinctively remembered that yangonin had been in the last place once upon a time.

Last edited:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder

View attachment 9495

I would pray they aren't only testing for the methylenedioxy group. I would have to ask the op @zooksman if they take any drugs on a regular basis other than kava. There are a number of very common drugs that will false positive for mdma. Tradozone being one of them. I would say the whole scenario is possible with kava, but highly unlikely. I've had every litany of tests and never had a false positive for MDMA ever show up. You know me, too. My blood has to be at least some percentage of kavalactones by now. I probably have a chemotype.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I would pray they aren't only testing for the methylenedioxy group. I would have to ask the op @zooksman if they take any drugs on a regular basis other than kava. There are a number of very common drugs that will false positive for mdma. Tradozone being one of them. I would say the whole scenario is possible with kava, but highly unlikely. I've had every litany of tests and never had a false positive for MDMA ever show up. You know me, too. My blood has to be at least some percentage of kavalactones by now. I probably have a chemotype.
Unfortunately, if the test was based off of a single common reagent test and not an in depth lab-test, that's exactly what could happen. These reagent tests are used for quick field testing sometimes by police and often by party goers who want to identify, as best as they can, the purity of the drug they purchased. In the case of MDMA and similar class chemicals, several of the reagent tests (Marquis, Mecke, Mandelin) can ONLY identify the presence of the MDxx part by changing a certain color, but can't tell the difference between MDA, MDMA, MDE, MDEA etc...there is an additional reagent called Simmons which can decipher between MDA & MDMA.

There's been plenty of cases where false positives based on the results of reagent field testing have gotten people in trouble, because the reagent can react to a number of common everyday "non-drug" chemicals and sometimes the reaction/color matches that of a certain drug.

Last edited:

zooksman

Haha that would be some pretty crazy kava! I think I would be on a different level of krunk if they actually had anything mixed in... I obviously wouldn't insinuate that, I'm sure it's a false positive, but it seems to have occurred to other people too. Thanks for the chemical reply! @Kapmcrunk I do not take any other drugs or medications on a regular basis.

On a different note, the situation has evolved. Not that I think these two things are related, but I've developed a pretty nasty allergic reaction to something and I'm afraid it might have been this kava. For a few days my nose had been red and puffy, but I didn't think much of it, and this morning I woke up to red bumps all over my upper body, mostly on my scalp, arms, shoulders, and chest. It's extremely itchy and uncomfortable not to mention unsightly, and I keep getting chills all over. I went to the doctor and they had no idea what it could be, since I haven't eaten anything strange or switched soaps or shampoos or anything like that. I told them about the kava, they just said to stop drinking it just in case. Granted I haven't indulged since this terrible TnW session on Tuesday, and the rash only appeared today, Friday. They put me on two histamine blockers and a steroid, and told me to go to the urgent care if it gets any worse. This sucks really bad and I'm almost certain this kava may have caused it. Has anyone ever had a similar allergic reaction to any kind of kava? Is this more often seen with toss and wash? I've been drinking kava for almost a month now and have never had any bad side effects at all. This isn't kava dermopathy either, it's a different kind of reaction entirely. Have I just developed a kava allergy, or does toss and wash do this to you, or do you think it's something else entirely? I would really appreciate any input anyone has.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
I've never tried real toss and wash, so I can't really speak to that, though there does seem to be a consensus that toss and wash is more likely to cause side effects. People do get allergic reations from time to time, but it seems odd that an allergic reaction would hit you most intensely 3 days after kava cessation (that does happen with dermo; but I've not heard it happening with allergies, not to say it doesn't; I only "hear" what people write on the forums).
FYI, I've been drinking quite a bit of Kadavu and have had no problems.

UmbrellaOps

Kava Curious
I don’t know if anyone will read this after such long time of being inactive but I’ve been using kava for half of the week (last used yesterday night) and I get tested monthly at a lab.this is my first time taking kava. I took a 12 panel at home test and popped positive for nothing. Only thing notable is that my Benzo lines seemed slightly faded. Anyone else think this MDMA thing is a fluke?

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity

I had wifey tested for ecstasy, and found she was faking it. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.