What's new

The AluBall - A new and easy way to make Kava

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
They can't reasonably suggest their customer consume 45 grams like some of us do. I would bet that ratio can be bumped up very considerably. It's just that they can't recommend that. Due to, you know...some of the more intoxicating effects that kava can sometimes provide.

simonsezso37

Kava Curious
There are kava users that like a thinner, weaker grog. As I look on the back of most of my packages here, the recommendation is usually 1 tbsp per 4 oz. Of course, one should use what they are comfortable with. In the end, it's not about how much water you drink, but how much root. Sooo ratios are nothing but drinking more or less kava to get the desired effect.
Of course, this isn't Kava root or anything, but rather a means to make kava. One should look at the directions for their kava rather than the means to make said kava.

verticity

I'm interested in things
They can't reasonably suggest their customer consume 45 grams like some of us do. I would bet that ratio can be bumped up very considerably. It's just that they can't recommend that. Due to, you know...some of the more intoxicating effects that kava can sometimes provide.
I'm sorry, I still don't get it. 1-2 tbsp doesn't sound excessive. Does that actually work out to 45 g ?

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
I'm sorry, I still don't get it. 1-2 tbsp doesn't sound excessive. Does that actually work out to 45 g ?
Better safe than sorry legally I'm guessing. Recommend start weak in case a newbie tries to double it from the start kinda thing.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
I wonder how you get compression on the root. Maybe if you pack the ball full, as it gets wet and expands, it'll naturally get pressure applied to it.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Do you really have to have compression on the root to have a successful brew? (i.e. blender method)
Yeah, the blender makes me wonder. It's part smaller particle size and I think there's some compression. Micro-cavitation at the blade/kava interface, perhaps? I don't know. If there's cavitation, there's going to be the potential for suction/pressure on the root, so that can't be bad.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I think this method would be similar to mixing up some medium grind straight into water, then running it through a strainer once, to filter out the big stuff. What's left is something like a micronized brew. It'll work, but you'll be wasting some kavalactones that still could have been squeezed out of the residuals.

I do enjoy seeing someone follow through with their innovation, how ever it turns out.

Last edited:

blindy107

Kava Lover
There are kava users that like a thinner, weaker grog. As I look on the back of most of my packages here, the recommendation is usually 1 tbsp per 4 oz. Of course, one should use what they are comfortable with. In the end, it's not about how much water you drink, but how much root. Sooo ratios are nothing but drinking more or less kava to get the desired effect.
Of course, this isn't Kava root or anything, but rather a means to make kava. One should look at the directions for their kava rather than the means to make said kava.
Yes it is about the amount of root you use, correct. But if you require 6-10 tbsp of medium grind to get to your kavaplace and this contraption requires the suggested ratio then that's gonna 12-20 cups of water. Most of us will be bloated beyond believe. I assume that the ball can't hold much more than 2tbsp as is.

Also as kapm stated, the legality of stating usage above the "FDA approved daily amount" can be an issue.

I still love the idea and can't wait to see it.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I think this method would be similar to mixing up some medium grind straight into water, then running it through a strainer once, to filter out the big stuff. What's left is something like a micronized brew. It'll work, but you'll be wasting some kavalactones that still could have been squeezed out of the residuals.

I do enjoy seeing someone follow through with their innovation, how ever it turns out.
Yes, I'm not sure if it is more than a glorified tea bag. I guess I could see that since the ball is rigid (aluminum?) if it were designed to get the proper fluid dynamic action, there could be some compression on the inner sides of the ball. Maybe it would work better if you put a marble inside the AluBall with the kava to act like a mortar and pestle. @PacIsleKava have you actually tested this yet? How strong is the resulting brew?

Kavafied

Kava Vendor
Yes, I'm not sure if it is more than a glorified tea bag. I guess I could see that since the ball is rigid (aluminum?) if it were designed to get the proper fluid dynamic action, there could be some compression on the inner sides of the ball. Maybe it would work better if you put a marble inside the AluBall with the kava to act like a mortar and pestle. @PacIsleKava have you actually tested this yet? How strong is the resulting brew?
Yes, we have gone through multiple iterations and tested it on various grind grades of Kava and love the results.
Please see our blog post on the AluBall™ Story for more details about what we are bringing to market at why. http://www.getkavafied.com/blogs/the-kavafied-times/18659213-the-aluball-story