What's new

The AluBall - A new and easy way to make Kava

50ShadesOfKava

Official Kava Muppet
So you fill it with root and put this in your washing machine , right? :LOL:
That definitely needs to be version 2.0. A cement mixer with a few large stones in it and a filter screen for dumping might also do the trick. Why does it always come back around to kava and cement?

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
I just got home after a weekend away and my Aluball was waiting for me. In dire need of intense relaxation I soon got my shaking on! Mixed up 1tbsp cactus kava Ono to 1 cup water. It might be kind of pushing it to get any more than a scant 2tbsps in the ball. Shimmied and shaked for a minute or so - not trusting that 30 seconds would be long enough.
Just had a small shell as I have to drive again in a little while. Tastes like I remember Ono tasting with regular kneading. Yet to find out the effects. But so far, pretty cool.
I do think someone with more experience than me kava wise should test this out to get a true feel for the effects and if a quick shake really does release the kavalactones

D

Deleted User01

I love the device, I'm just waiting for them to install a JackHammer in there so I don't have to squeeze. Oh well, a girl can dream! :rolleyes:

Kavafied

Kava Vendor
I just got home after a weekend away and my Aluball was waiting for me. In dire need of intense relaxation I soon got my shaking on! Mixed up 1tbsp cactus kava Ono to 1 cup water. It might be kind of pushing it to get any more than a scant 2tbsps in the ball. Shimmied and shaked for a minute or so - not trusting that 30 seconds would be long enough.
Just had a small shell as I have to drive again in a little while. Tastes like I remember Ono tasting with regular kneading. Yet to find out the effects. But so far, pretty cool.
I do think someone with more experience than me kava wise should test this out to get a true feel for the effects and if a quick shake really does release the kavalactones
We're glad your order arrived and we hope you'll find it useful. Thanks for the feed back, we hope to build off the AluBall™ for the years to come.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Here's an experiment you can try if you want to: Make 2 tbsp of kava with the AluBall. Then do a second wash with the same kava in the ball and the same amount of water. (And other parameters like water temperature and duration of shaking the same also) The strength of the second wash will tell you something about the efficiency of the extraction. (This is something I am curious about)

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
Here's an experiment you can try if you want to: Make 2 tbsp of kava with the AluBall. Then do a second wash with the same kava in the ball and the same amount of water. (And other parameters like water temperature and duration of shaking the same also) The strength of the second wash will tell you something about the efficiency of the extraction. (This is something I am curious about)
Did a second wash as suggested. Very weak. Little to no effects and very little color. So I'd think that would mean the Aluball did its job on the first round. Obviously won't take the place of the traditional prep by any means but an acceptable quick and easy way to whip up some medium grind

Kimmer

Patently irritable
My second-wash test was similar to yours--I did a second wash on the Mahakea and it came through pretty weak.
I'll still use standard prep for the most part cause I like having batches waiting for me in the fridge.
The AluBall has given me the motivation to start working through my arsenal of kava and seeing if I find some new (*cough* old) favorites.

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
My second-wash test was similar to yours--I did a second wash on the Mahakea and it came through pretty weak.
I'll still use standard prep for the most part cause I like having batches waiting for me in the fridge.
The AluBall has given me the motivation to start working through my arsenal of kava and seeing if I find some new (*cough* old) favorites.
Ditto on the motivation!! I've got quite the stash of untried kava. So now I feel ready for some honest to goodness taste testing without potentially wasting time kneading!!

Kavafied

Kava Vendor
Great hear that the AluBall™ is giving you motivation to easily try more kinds of Kava. We just tried Solomon Kava for the first time today with the AluBall™ and loved it!

Just a note for any potential international buyer. Please email us on our contact page at www.getkavafied.com and we will work with you to get a custom invoice for your purchase.

Malo,

Team Kavafied

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
A nice idea but if you can only fit in about 2 tbsps. then for a good session you'd be shaking up/cleaning out every time you wanted a shell. I'm just not convinced that it's any easier than simply chucking your whole session worth in a blender and straining, all done in one go and then you can relax with your kava. Although I don't mean to be negative :)

krunkedout

Kava Lover
I'm digging this! Although I agree the ratio is way, wayyyyyyy less than what I would use, this would be cool for on the go if you are in the mood for a quick shell.

Kavafied

Kava Vendor
I'm digging this! Although I agree the ratio is way, wayyyyyyy less than what I would use, this would be cool for on the go if you are in the mood for a quick shell.
Exactly why we invented this method of making Kava...To give you options in how you want to make it. It is also a tool to encourage new users to buy Kava roots and make it on their own.

Kavafied

Kava Vendor
A nice idea but if you can only fit in about 2 tbsps. then for a good session you'd be shaking up/cleaning out every time you wanted a shell. I'm just not convinced that it's any easier than simply chucking your whole session worth in a blender and straining, all done in one go and then you can relax with your kava. Although I don't mean to be negative :)
Definitely not gonna replace traditional methods. Just another tool to add to your Kava tool box to make Kava drinking more accessible to the casual user

After reading the concept and seeing the product in use i'm much less skeptical than I was at first. I'll step in line for one also this is actually a great idea! For my on the go kava, I'll pre-make a big batch then bottle it accordingly, hoping to have enough to get me through an event or situation. usually Although, carrying around a "smartwater" bottle filled with muddy brown liquid seems a little odd and makes me feel a little uncomfortable occasionally. I like that it looks more like a nutritional shake type container. fits in more with the "protein shake" look and less like for someone to make a weird face and go "WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING?"

also, i'd probably dump the leftover root from the ball into a ziploc bag and put it in the freezer for later. enough uses of the ball and there's a decent second wash to make a batch go farther. I've been freezing leftover root on occasion to make it go as far as possible. always get at least a little something from it.
I like the freezing leftovers idea... I'd put them in a pan & do the boiling/straining method as demo'ed here, hold my nose & take a big gulp :)

Ryan-H

Kava Curious
I just took a gamble on the AluBall, and it's worked surprisingly well. The first wash came out strong, and the second came out weak, so it must be around as effective as my traditional method efforts. It actually may end up saving me material in the end. I debated getting a second AluBall with my first order, and now I'm wishing I had!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I just took a gamble on the AluBall, and it's worked surprisingly well. The first wash came out strong, and the second came out weak, so it must be around as effective as my traditional method efforts. It actually may end up saving me material in the end. I debated getting a second AluBall with my first order, and now I'm wishing I had!
It's not a gamble, it's a way of life ;)