What's new

The Grossest Kava I've Tasted Is...

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
For me, Vanuatu 3 was the worst tasting kava I have tried.

Chief's Jungle is also pretty repugnant when used as a mixer, oddly. Stand-alone it's not half bad, nice peppery aroma, but for some reason the instant you combine it with another kava it becomes disgusting.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Stone. Stone stone stone stone stone. I would say about 3 out of the 6 or so times I've thrown up kava were with Stone.

KavaKrunked

Kava Enthusiast
Hands down, that Kona crap. And not on an absolute scale. I tend to rank kavas based upon the relationship between taste and effect. I can handle a revolting kava if it is going to get the job done, and well. Even though Kona is somewhat mild in flavor, it would take a gallon to do anything.

-1 - Kona

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I remember Stone was pretty rough...but I also grew to consider it to be the taste of a strong effective kava, thereby learning to love it's horrificness. I think I'd say this heavy fiji waka I've been on lately is even worse, possibly only because it provides me with less happiness than Stone. But that's all over with tonight, as I try my 1st batch of MeloMelo.

The strangest flavor I've had is Mahakea. Can't remember from where, or how it tasted when I first got it....but when I came back to it years later, it brewed up a weird amber/brown color and had an indescribable flavor that was only vaguely reminiscent of 'typical' kava.

kaba

Kava Curious
MeloMelo. I bought 250 g from BKH and it makes other kavas taste like a strawberry milkshake)). However, with all that said, i do enjoy the effects. Cant be around other people though cause it makes me nauseated like hell.

Ecto

Train by day, Kava by night....All day
I've only tried 2 varieties, but Koniak is waaaay easier to drink to me compared to Boroguru.

infraredz

BULA!
It's weird that Melo Melo has that effect on people (I thought I was crazy). The taste isn't particularly pungent, but it does make me nauseous for a few minutes afterwards although nothing a little extra-strength ginger beer can't fix.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
all of them! I'm not drinking this stuff for the taste.
Word.

I find them all pretty equally revolting, however the more gritty it is, the more likely I am to consider ralphing it back up. I'm with shakas about stone though. Its mental scarring taste has come to signify the taste of pure power.

D

Deleted User01

I found WOW to be not so bad in taste. It had a wierd after taste going down but that's about it.

Bert07

Me like da kava
I'd have to agree with Deleted User01, Wow! I thought was mild in taste. Though I have nothing to compare it to since I'm not too experienced with the other varieties yet.

D

Deleted User01

FYI. I do use quite a bit of Coconut Water when I make Kava but it still tasted better than the Fijian from BKH which I'm currently drinking (as we speak). But everyone's taste buds are different. They say that the hotter the liquid, the funkier the taste. I've been making mine at around 115 since I read a research article provided by Infraredz which said you could get 25-40 percent more Kavalactones at that temperature.

Andrew Procyk

Noble Kava
Kava Vendor
There was an Isa I had long ago that tasted like PineSol. Gagged to get it down. Gagged keeping it down. Regretted both the next day. The nausea probably did not help, along with the more-drunk-when-you-awake-than-after-drinking feeling.