What's new

Kava Preparation The Kava Flow - How to Make Kava

TheKavaFlow

Kava Podcaster
Don't forget, kids, mail those unwanted, unloved first wash makas to: Krunkie McFrickinKrunkFace here at kavaforums! They'll go to a good charity. Sort of.
I find that using this method a second wash doesn't do much for me. Getting the fine root powder out of the bag, and then using hot water generally makes the second wash really weak. Sometimes I do a second wash and add it to the first wash to make it a slightly weaker batch, but I never drink the second wash on its own.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
I like to take breaks while preparing kava. Knead or shake for a while, then go do something else and let it soak. When you come back and have another go, the fibers have had time to swell up and release more goodness.

Sometimes I'll even start an aluball shaker in the evening and leave it till the next morning. Throw a little instant coffee in one ball for morning grog.

TheKavaFlow

Kava Podcaster
I like to take breaks while preparing kava. Knead or shake for a while, then go do something else and let it soak. When you come back and have another go, the fibers have had time to swell up and release more goodness.

Sometimes I'll even start an aluball shaker in the evening and leave it till the next morning. Throw a little instant coffee in one ball for morning grog.
I've started the evening aluball, too! I normally have a shell or two left over from the evening, throw it in the jar and fill the remainder with water. Then I fill up the aluball with root, chuck it in the water, and throw the whole contraption in the fridge. In the morning I shake it for a few minutes and I've got ice cold grog for the day.

The best part of waking up...is kava in your cup...

Krunkaroo

Kava Enthusiast
I aluball during the day and freeze the medium grind from the balls after work. After a couple days I blend and knead the frozen grind, good grog, no waste.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I find that using this method a second wash doesn't do much for me. Getting the fine root powder out of the bag, and then using hot water generally makes the second wash really weak. Sometimes I do a second wash and add it to the first wash to make it a slightly weaker batch, but I never drink the second wash on its own.
oh it's an excellent video all right, and that grog is certainly going to be excellent. No doubt of that.

I'm just a weenie and probably couldn't drink it that strong. Your prep looks close to a 3 or 3.5:1 water ratio and no 2nd or 3rd wash. I tend to go 4 to 7:1 with 5 being the average on the first wash. Then an avg 4:1 on the second and 2:1 on the 3rd. 1:1 if there's a 4th.

But of course, there is no arguing with either success or experience. The right way to have kava is the way you like it. Your video is excellent.

I know I'm in danger of being known as the champion of the second wash but I'd really rather be known as the champion of the 4th wash.

TheKavaFlow

Kava Podcaster
oh it's an excellent video all right, and that grog is certainly going to be excellent. No doubt of that.

I'm just a weenie and probably couldn't drink it that strong. Your prep looks close to a 3 or 3.5:1 water ratio and no 2nd or 3rd wash. I tend to go 4 to 7:1 with 5 being the average on the first wash. Then an avg 4:1 on the second and 2:1 on the 3rd. 1:1 if there's a 4th.

But of course, there is no arguing with either success or experience. The right way to have kava is the way you like it. Your video is excellent.

I know I'm in danger of being known as the champion of the second wash but I'd really rather be known as the champion of the 4th wash.
Haha, I'm a bit of a hard head, so I do make it about as strong as I can get it. I thin it to the point where it's just barely not the viscosity of chocolate milk :)

And yes, everyone enjoys their kava in different ways, and no way is the all around best. Fijians drink weak grog all day, while those in Vanuatu like it strong. I prefer the Vanuatu style.

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
Yea I squeeze that bag till it squeals! It takes me twice as long to do traditional prep. Great video deserves a sticky IMO! The ice also help me with the flavor.