What's new

Kava Poll The Kava Relief Fund.

Are you with me?

• Total voters

Capitán Bastos

Presanteur
Dear community,

For those less fortunate who are affected to such a degree it increases the knead of kava beyond their monetary grasp, I'm thinking we could all pull together as a community and establish a kava relief fund.

The idea is that we all chip in to a pool, perhaps even a small monthly contribution and the vendors give said fund a hefty discount or even donate product. I still believe in the concept of democracy, be that on a smaller scale, and I'm thinking applicants should post their application and we all vote on the distribution of sweet relief.

Let's show the world that our opinions, political and religious beliefs is not in the way of our humanity. That we are a community who truly cares for one another. That this indeed is the friendliest place on the interwebs.

If this grows sufficiently, we could also support kava growers in case of natural disasters or the like. Same democratic process would apply when deciding where to send the money of course. We would have elections on this forum to decide who will administer the fund and full transparency is a given.

If I could, I would already have started a go fund me page, but I believe this should be started and run by someone in the USA.

I will, however donate $100 the second I'm aware of such a page and also $100 for every $2500 donated by others up to the first $10K.

Btw, this is not for me and not just for the ones affected by the current election situation. It's for anyone who have a genuine need for kava and insufficient funds. It's what a community should do any time one of it's members needs help. In this day and age, I believe we need as much of this as possible. Let's do something where we actually can make a significant and tangible difference.

I believe in you guys,

- El Capitán

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
A wonderful idea, full of hope and love at a time when the future is scary - for a lot of people. However, I'm wondering how this could even be implemented? I mean, how do we determine whether or not someone is deserving of financial help to buy their kava? Do we believe them without question if they say hey I'm short of money, I'm out of work, student loans are killing me and I need kava? I have helped someone on this forums with kava, and when I need to sell some kava that doesn't suit me, I go way low on the price. I will certainly do this again, if I feel sure in my own mind that the recipient is truly hurting and truly needs help. I think we should all aim to do that by ourselves, our own little mission to help others in need.
But again, in these trying times, a wonderfully philanthropic idea. We should all consider practicing compassion, understanding and tolerance, now, more than ever before.

Capitán Bastos

Presanteur
A wonderful idea, full of hope and love at a time when the future is scary - for a lot of people. However, I'm wondering how this could even be implemented? I mean, how do we determine whether or not someone is deserving of financial help to buy their kava? Do we believe them without question if they say hey I'm short of money, I'm out of work, student loans are killing me and I need kava? I have helped someone on this forums with kava, and when I need to sell some kava that doesn't suit me, I go way low on the price. I will certainly do this again, if I feel sure in my own mind that the recipient is truly hurting and truly needs help. I think we should all aim to do that by ourselves, our own little mission to help others in need.
But again, in these trying times, a wonderfully philanthropic idea. We should all consider practicing compassion, understanding and tolerance, now, more than ever before.
Yes! You get where I'm going with this. Focusing on what we actually can do something about to make this world a better place at least for one person at least for a short while.
I understand your concern and I wrote this literally as it came to me. I'm open to suggestions of course.

Let me quote a great statesman:
"There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."
George W. Bush

I'm thinking asking one person for help is much easier than posting it on the forum. We will all have opportunity to ask questions before we vote. Yeah, I do trust that the good people of this forum won't exploit this.

I was thinking to start small at first, doing something real for the farmers that actually grow the kava we and the vendors buy, that's something I would love to get into.
I'm working on a couple of ideas and will come back with more.

nickbroken

Kava Enthusiast
Or you could just send me some free kava, judging by your 46 billion market credit I believe you can afford it.

nickbroken

Kava Enthusiast
Lol I'm waiting for someone to put some kinda raffle for kava on using that credit. You will be a shoe in to win. You should see it you can covert it to Bitcoin

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Well, I really like the idea of supporting Kava communities. I've been long trying to get a ground game going for something I call the "Oceanic People Initiative." Basically working with communities to create a development vision of their own. The original plan I came up with would cost something like $150,000 to get going, but would generate money to sustain itself through enterprises on the ground.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
As for the Kava Relief Fund for Kava drinkers, I'm not so sure. At which point would those funds dry up and go to the islanders? It would need a pretty detailed model.

IloveKava23

Kava Curious
Dear community,

For those less fortunate who are affected to such a degree it increases the knead of kava beyond their monetary grasp, I'm thinking we could all pull together as a community and establish a kava relief fund.

The idea is that we all chip in to a pool, perhaps even a small monthly contribution and the vendors give said fund a hefty discount or even donate product. I still believe in the concept of democracy, be that on a smaller scale, and I'm thinking applicants should post their application and we all vote on the distribution of sweet relief.

Let's show the world that our opinions, political and religious beliefs is not in the way of our humanity. That we are a community who truly cares for one another. That this indeed is the friendliest place on the interwebs.

If this grows sufficiently, we could also support kava growers in case of natural disasters or the like. Same democratic process would apply when deciding where to send the money of course. We would have elections on this forum to decide who will administer the fund and full transparency is a given.

If I could, I would already have started a go fund me page, but I believe this should be started and run by someone in the USA.

I will, however donate $100 the second I'm aware of such a page and also $100 for every $2500 donated by others up to the first $10K.

Btw, this is not for me and not just for the ones affected by the current election situation. It's for anyone who have a genuine need for kava and insufficient funds. It's what a community should do any time one of it's members needs help. In this day and age, I believe we need as much of this as possible. Let's do something where we actually can make a significant and tangible difference.

I believe in you guys,

- El Capitán

God if this is a thing I am in dire need of some kava relief! Lost a job and am stressed out because without Obama care I'm screwed and won't be able to afford my insurance, among many other things. When things start looking up for me financially again I'd love to help others in the same way.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Dear community,

I believe in you guys,

- El Capitán
I had discussed something similar with Kapm many months ago, it was a slightly different approach called PIF (Pay it forward), it's a concept I learned from another forum that I participate in called ECF (E-cigarette Forum) where if you buy nic juice or have a mod that you no longer use, that person offers it to the community within that sub folder. At the time the kava market was being launched and due to the difference in numbers (members) from ECF (300K+) to KF it didn't seem like viable option.

I still have my doubts it could work because kapm had a very valid point with the membership numbers and that's what the kava market is for after all. While I still like the concept, it would be easier to implement it on a user to user basis on the kava market.

In the example of ECF, there were certain rules that members of that sub-group had to abide by such as being limited to one request in a 30 day period, having to post the last time they accepted a PIF and keeping that thread for PIF related discussions only. At any rate that was something I thought could work, but like any idea it takes more moderation and planning.

Capitán Bastos

Presanteur
Well, I really like the idea of supporting Kava communities. I've been long trying to get a ground game going for something I call the "Oceanic People Initiative." Basically working with communities to create a development vision of their own. The original plan I came up with would cost something like $150,000 to get going, but would generate money to sustain itself through enterprises on the ground.
Yeah, I appreciated the little brainstorm we had on this a couple of days ago. In my opinion anyone who sells or enjoys kava should have an interest in supporting those who grow that kava. It would really be something if we as a community could show our appreciation and support to the farmers in a direct and substantial way.

As for the Kava Relief Fund for Kava drinkers, I'm not so sure. At which point would those funds dry up and go to the islanders? It would need a pretty detailed model.
The idea was we have to start somewhere, right? There are many ways of making sure that we can support a kava drinker in need now and again while at the same time building up funds to be able to make a difference for the kava farmers and their communities. One of those would be to let's say, save one dollar for each dollar spent on kava relief to members in need... To me it's a pragmatic approach, a pound of kava is maybe $30, that's way easier to raise than let's say $150K. I just think it would be a nice place to start is all.

God if this is a thing I am in dire need of some kava relief! Lost a job and am stressed out because without Obama care I'm screwed and won't be able to afford my insurance, among many other things. When things start looking up for me financially again I'd love to help others in the same way.
First of all, welcome to the forum and I must say I appreciate your using your first and only post so far on this...
That's the idea, knowing that you're helping fellow members of the community on a short term and that you can get help when you find yourself in rough waters. It's an incentive, plus eventually the goal would be to support the people who actually grow the kava and that's a win win all around. For the consumers, the farmers and the vendors.

I had discussed something similar with Kapm many months ago, it was a slightly different approach called PIF (Pay it forward), it's a concept I learned from another forum that I participate in called ECF (E-cigarette Forum) where if you buy nic juice or have a mod that you no longer use, that person offers it to the community within that sub folder. At the time the kava market was being launched and due to the difference in numbers (members) from ECF (300K+) to KF it didn't seem like viable option.

I still have my doubts it could work because kapm had a very valid point with the membership numbers and that's what the kava market is for after all. While I still like the concept, it would be easier to implement it on a user to user basis on the kava market.

In the example of ECF, there were certain rules that members of that sub-group had to abide by such as being limited to one request in a 30 day period, having to post the last time they accepted a PIF and keeping that thread for PIF related discussions only. At any rate that was something I thought could work, but like any idea it takes more moderation and planning.
Thank you for the input. I see where you're coming from, my argument still is that it's easier for members to give what they can to a pool for both the other members (short term) and the kava farmers and their communities (long term),
A pound of kava is $30, and while some of us sometimes can afford or spare to share our kava with other members in need, I'm thinking sometimes it's more likely that thirty members at one point had one dollar to spare.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Problem I see with that approach is managing the funds and then determining who benefits from it. As for supporting the kava farmers, I think awareness is how we play our role. We support them financially by buying their kava through the recognized vendors on this website.

Capitán Bastos

Presanteur
Problem I see with that approach is managing the funds and then determining who benefits from it. As for supporting the kava farmers, I think awareness is how we play our role. We support them financially by buying their kava through the recognized vendors on this website.
Yeah, that is a challenge and like I said in my initial post, someone would have to oversee that while providing full transparency. Who benefits? Well, as I said, I believe that should be up to this community to decide and there are plenty of ways to regulate the process.

There are many great people on this forum and I'm convinced we have both the knowledge and the ability between us to make something like this happen. If we as a community want to that is.

Ideally just buying kava from vendors on this site or elsewhere for that matter would be a way of supporting the farmers. But, to me that's not supporting the farmers in a direct and substantial way. Also, when natural disasters or social difficulties gets in the way of the farmer being able to sell his kava... well, we could buy all the kava in the world and it wouldn't help that farmer. No offense, but when I buy bananas I don't actually feel like I support banana farmers in let's say Costa Rica...

I'm just a guy who had an idea that I'm willing to shape into something real that I can donate my money to so maybe it can help someone.

I really appreciate the input and while I'm definitely one to appreciate a bit of a goof and a laugh, I hope we can have an open and serious discussion in this thread that eventually results in something that benefits the kava community as a whole.

Bula to da hula

IloveKava23

Kava Curious
Yeah, I appreciated the little brainstorm we had on this a couple of days ago. In my opinion anyone who sells or enjoys kava should have an interest in supporting those who grow that kava. It would really be something if we as a community could show our appreciation and support to the farmers in a direct and substantial way.

The idea was we have to start somewhere, right? There are many ways of making sure that we can support a kava drinker in need now and again while at the same time building up funds to be able to make a difference for the kava farmers and their communities. One of those would be to let's say, save one dollar for each dollar spent on kava relief to members in need... To me it's a pragmatic approach, a pound of kava is maybe $30, that's way easier to raise than let's say $150K. I just think it would be a nice place to start is all.

First of all, welcome to the forum and I must say I appreciate your using your first and only post so far on this...
That's the idea, knowing that you're helping fellow members of the community on a short term and that you can get help when you find yourself in rough waters. It's an incentive, plus eventually the goal would be to support the people who actually grow the kava and that's a win win all around. For the consumers, the farmers and the vendors.

Thank you for the input. I see where you're coming from, my argument still is that it's easier for members to give what they can to a pool for both the other members (short term) and the kava farmers and their communities (long term),
A pound of kava is $30, and while some of us sometimes can afford or spare to share our kava with other members in need, I'm thinking sometimes it's more likely that thirty members at one point had one dollar to spare.
Thank you very much. I've been lurking around for awhile but just recently decided to make a account.

Thank you very much, I've been lurking for awhile but after watching some kavasseur videos I figured I could help with reviews as well. I'm very new to this forum as you said so if there are any rules or tips on replying and such please point me in the right direction! I love the idea of giving back to a community, especially farmers in such. You god a good genuine idea going on here, can't wait to see the finished result