What's new

This site says Kava is addictive... (wrong)

starscolliding

Kava Curious
https://www.pointofreturn.com/drug_interactions.html

No comments section for me to engage in. Is it worth chasing these people and arguing with them? Maybe some of you will be more incensed than myself and do something about it. They say it is according to 'investigative studies'. No links for these 'studies'.

Of course, this site is really dumb, they say 'don't take any Chinese herbs...". There will always be a ton of this, and I guess that is fine, that is the way the world works, but I think it is a proven scientific 'fact' that Kava is not addictive and so that should be changed. (with the usual caveat that anything can be mentally addictive depending on the person.)

verticity

I'm interested in things
They actually say this
Investigative studies suggest that Kava has addictive effects when combined with benzodiazepines, since it acts on the same GABA binding sites of the central nervous system.
Which is BS, and you correctly note there are no citations.
They say they are "experts in drug withdrawal"
How Our Taper Withdrawal Program Works
  • Purchase the taper withdrawal program appropriate to your medication.
You begin the Point of Return nutraceuticals to help prepare your nervous system for the withdrawal process.
The "nutraceuticals" they sell appear to be whey protein and fish oil.
Basically these people are scumbags trying to profit off people going through benzo withdrawal.
Is it worth "going after" them? I don't know, there are a lot of idiots like this on the internet, I don't believe this site is particularly prominent.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I'm not saying fish oil or whey protein are not beneficial. They may well be. But you can buy them at Walmart without signing up for this scammy "program." And I really doubt they can do much for benzo withdrawal.

starscolliding

Kava Curious
Ah, I didn't even spend enough time finding out they were trying to sell stuff. Yeah, not worth arguing with them, and of course, they are likely saying not to use Kava becasue actually Kava is great for benzo withdrawls and I believe certain studies have shown it helps heal Gaba receptors, and of people knew that then it would get in the way of them selling their snake, I mean, fish oil.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I'd love to see the study(s) suggesting possible healing of the Gaba receptors. That sounds like an interesting read.

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
https://www.pointofreturn.com/drug_interactions.html

No comments section for me to engage in. Is it worth chasing these people and arguing with them? Maybe some of you will be more incensed than myself and do something about it. They say it is according to 'investigative studies'. No links for these 'studies'.

Of course, this site is really dumb, they say 'don't take any Chinese herbs...". There will always be a ton of this, and I guess that is fine, that is the way the world works, but I think it is a proven scientific 'fact' that Kava is not addictive and so that should be changed. (with the usual caveat that anything can be mentally addictive depending on the person.)
ive also checked my BP when im ultra krunked (it says can lower bp) and it's normal. Secondly, it says kava interacts with the same gaba sites as benzodiazepines, which is again, wrong. The pharmacological activities of kava resin and pyrones do not appear to be explained by any significant interaction with GABA or benzodiazepine binding sites. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1332016 In fact, most of its sedating properties come from blockade of voltage gated sodium and calcium channels, by doing this it sort of indirectly blunts the effect of glutamate, the main excitatory neurotransmitter in the brain (gaba is a metabolite, and opposing neurotransmitter of this system), as glutamate effects sodium, calcium, and potassium through voltage gated channels. It does this however, without affecting long term potentiation (how memories form), which is why no matter how krunk you become you always can remember it, never black out etc. This is why it's the only sedative on the planet that won't turn you into a complete idiot in large amounts.