What's new

Timing

mlenny

Kava Curious
In your experience, how long does it take for a shell to reach full effect? I've seen something about 2 hours, but that's not my experience.

Thanks,
Matthew

Last edited:

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
That's a tough question for most people to answer because how many of us have had one shell and then sat there waiting to feel whether the effects have peaked? Most of us will be topping up after 10, 15, 30 minutes with another shell. My feeling on it is about an hour for the DHK and DHM to be fully showing themselves but I notice them building right from the first shell.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
kls.jpg

This figure seems to reflect what we see in effects time with an empty stomach with kava. The Kavain and DHK hit first, then Methysticin and DHM slowly start to kick in. Depending on the ratio of your kava's kavalactones will depend on how this will vary.

yestothat

Kava Curious
For 4-5 shells/cups made with 1/2 cup of ground kava, I feel the effects within 5 minutes of chugging a shell (if I haven't had a full meal 2 hours prior). I sometimes chase the first shell with a handful of pistachios - the fat content seems to potentiate the effects. The 3rd shell puts me in my ideal state where I'm zoning out in front of the nature channel. And the 4th puts me to sleep like a baby. :) All of this within 1-2 hours.