What's new

Toss and Wash with Diet Coke?

Hi Everyone!

I'm brand new to kava, and I have a question about the toss and wash method. I'm seeing information about kava needing a fat source to work? Does that mean that tossing a couple tablespoons of kava into my mouth and rinsing it down with diet coke will be ineffective? Thanks for your patience... all this stuff is overwhelming at first!

verticity

I'm interested in things
Hi Everyone!

I'm brand new to kava, and I have a question about the toss and wash method. I'm seeing information about kava needing a fat source to work? Does that mean that tossing a couple tablespoons of kava into my mouth and rinsing it down with diet coke will be ineffective? Thanks for your patience... all this stuff is overwhelming at first!
Hi, welcome to the Forum!
Kava does not need a fat source to work, although some people find that preparing kava with a fat source like milk helps to make it more potent by extracting more of the kavalactones. But other people find it does not make a difference. The traditional method of preparing kava, kneading it in a filter bag in water, does not involve a fat source, and is capable of producing a very potent brew.

Toss and washing kava with diet Coke will certainly be effective, however it might upset your stomach (assuming you have normal kava powder, and not instant or micronized--which are OK to toss and wash). I would recommend using a knee-high stocking, place 1/2 cup of kava in the stocking. Fill a bowl with 4 cups of hot but not boiling water. Knead the kava in the stocking under the water for 5-10 minutes. Add some ice cubes to cool it off. Stir and enjoy! :)

verticity

I'm interested in things
If you do toss-n-wash I would recommend doing it with plain cold water. Diet Coke is acidic, which could make the stomach upset worse..

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Yeah I would not personally recommend either toss and wash or mixing kava with caffeine.

However as long as you have good kava, it should be effective.

verticity

I'm interested in things
@kavadude has a good point, too. A lot of people find the combination of kava and caffeine to be unpleasant, although the amount of caffeine in diet Coke might be too small to matter. But you definitely don't want to combine it with coffee.