What's new

Traveling To Mexico With Kava for K@ withdrawal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for accepting me into the forum.

I am traveling to Mexico very soon with a 300g bag of Kava Kava, fine grind from Vanautu.

I take my Kava Kava for an intense K@ withdrawal. I can't not use it at the moment. I am still in acute WD and it helps immensely.

I have a few questions to those that have traveled into Mexico with it:

1) Carry on or checked Luggage?
2) Do you declare it at Customs? If so, what do you declare it as? Herbal tea? A supplement? I take a in tea form with cheesecloth and the whole thing.

I am afraid that a 300g bag of a powdered root that's yellow with a green tinge would look suspicious to them.

Have you flown with Kava?

What about TSA? Here in the states?

I am mortified.

Thank you.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Well, there's a kava bar in Playa Del Carmen, so I assume it's legal there.
I'd personally keep it in it's original professional packaging and maybe put one bag in checked and one in your carry on.
Many people on the forum have successfully traveled places with kava.

Well, there's a kava bar in Playa Del Carmen, so I assume it's legal there.
I'd personally keep it in it's original professional packaging and maybe put one bag in checked and one in your carry on.
Many people on the forum have successfully traveled places with kava.
Thanks for your response. I'm more worried they will not believe me, that a 300g bag of kava since it's really fine looks suspicious.

I only have the one 300g sealed bag. So I have to choose between carry on or checked. I'm afraid to get checked because it might get lost or chucked.

What I am most curious about is do I declare it at customs. And if so what do I say this is an herbal supplement? A tea?

According to this website:

Flower, plants, vegetables and fruits are illegal to import.

Isn't Kava a plant?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Thanks for your response. I'm more worried they will not believe me, that a 300g bag of kava since it's really fine looks suspicious.

I only have the one 300g sealed bag. So I have to choose between carry on or checked. I'm afraid to get checked because it might get lost or chucked.

What I am most curious about is do I declare it at customs. And if so what do I say this is an herbal supplement? A tea?

According to this website:

Flower, plants, vegetables and fruits are illegal to import.

Isn't Kava a plant?
It is legally considered a "dietary supplement". To claim it other than that would be to misrepresent it lawfully. Now, you're using it as tea. As in you're steeping it in water, and straining it. If you had to declare it (which you won't), a "dietary supplement tea" would be about as accurate a term as possible (akin to declaring chamomile tea). It's a plant, but it's dried, and prepared. The "illegal to import" part would apply to kava as a plant if it were green, and still viable for propagation (still alive and able to reproduce via cuttings).

My advice would be the same as @sɥɐʞɐs. Have it sealed and keep the vendor's label on it. I've seen people ask this same question a number of times and haven't heard of anyone having an issue yet.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I have traveled multiple times internal to the US with no issues with kava in my carry on. I can't speak for Mexico, but TSA does not care one bit. Never even questioned. I did keep it in the same original packaging as was delivered to me. I never had any intention of telling them it was something different than what it really is....kava.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I travel nationally with kava in a ziplock bag for the flight, toss and wash it, nobody cares. I try to ship the kava to my destination or I'll bring it on my carry on, if it's in its original packaging, you shouldn't have any problems at all. I am planning a trip to Brazil at the end of the year and will be definitely bringing a few pounds.

Ricardo Piquant

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
TSA has a new powder rule. For carry on luggage, they are now limiting the amount of powder that can be taken. No limit on the checked bags tho

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I travel nationally with kava in a ziplock bag for the flight, toss and wash it, nobody cares. I try to ship the kava to my destination or I'll bring it on my carry on, if it's in its original packaging, you shouldn't have any problems at all. I am planning a trip to Brazil at the end of the year and will be definitely bringing a few pounds.
So only a long weekend then?

Hedda

Excellent advice from well-informed and highly experienced kava masters! The new TSA powder rule is barely a month old. At 300 grams (10.5822 oz) of kava, you're under the new 12oz limit. From the TSA website:
What is the policy on powders? Are they allowed?
Starting June 30, 2018, if you are traveling from an international last-point-of-departure to the U.S., powder-based substances in carry-on baggage greater than 350mL or 12 oz. may require additional screening at the central checkpoint. Powder-like substances over 12 oz. or 350mL in carry-on that cannot be resolved at the central checkpoint will not be allowed onto the cabin of the aircraft and will be disposed of. For your convenience, place powders in your checked bag.

TSA advises travelers to treat powders as liquids, i.e. removing them from your carry-on and holding them in your hand, in the quart-sized clear plastic bag.

Also on the TSA website is an invitation to submit a photo if anyone as questions about what they can bring: "For items not listed here, simply snap a picture or send a question to AskTSA on Facebook Messenger or Twitter. We look forward to answering your questions, from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET weekdays and weekends/holidays."
"The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint."

Will you be traveling alone? As a female, my personal advice is: Dress conservatively, act confidently. TSA has gotten much better in recent years, and agents usually respect traveler's rights. Just to be on the safe side, it's probably better to come across as, "I'm a tea-drinking health enthusiast and a recent college grad. My Dad is a lawyer, my Mom is a teacher, and I love my two Golden Retrievers" than to come across as, "I'm a free-thinking hemp enthusiast and a worshipper of Vlad. My Dad is a biker, my Mom is a stripper, and I love my two tarantulas."

Have fun in Mexico and best wishes! ::chugger::

Status
Not open for further replies.