What's new

Video Triple aluballing and a review of Tongan Reserve

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Hello, I've made some videos to show you how I use my aluballs to prepare a good batch of kava. The quality is ok, obviously first time I've done it and I was conscious of size, I'll be better if I do it again. I also hope that you can understand my accent ;-) . Any questions at all just let me know. By the way I have spoken to Doug, the original Kavasseur about this and he's completely cool with it. I am in no way trying to muscle in on what he does, as if I could! This is more about showing you my prep method than the review.

Pounigirl

Kava Enthusiast
Well done Edward! You planned it out so well and spoke with such confidence that I would never guess it was your first time filming a video. No problems with your accent either. I understood every word with no problems at all. :)

Question: With so many balls in there at one time and less liquid overall in the shaker, how can you be sure when you've gotten all of the kavalactones that you can from the batch since less liquid is moving through all three? How do you know when it is spent? What is the value of keeping the first ball in for all of the washes if the third ball is done after only two washes? I was wondering why you didn't do another since the third had been added so recently in comparison to the others or maybe taking the first one out and shaking up just the last two again. I'm a total newb and trying to learn how it all works, but it seemed to me that if the first ball is still in the shaker releasing kavalactones that the third surely must have had something left still too, no? Again how do you know when you've extracted all that you can with the three ball method? Thanks for your time and the thoughtful demonstration and review. Bula! :)

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
@Ibbygirl thanks for your kind words. I see your point about the third ball possibly having more in. I think after 2 washes of each ball you're pretty much done. I know the first ball gets about 4 washes but I still think it's worth leaving in there. The second and third shells always seem to be the strongest and the fourth shell is always a little bit weaker so I use that as a guide to whether I've got everything out of the root or not. By all means experiment for yourself, I'm not pretending it's a perfect method, it's just something that I think works well for me.

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
Awesome videos @Edward ! You already got some nice muscles from shaking your balls ... ehm ... aluballs! ::awesomesmiles:: I also liked your explanations and the relaxed vibe. Just you preparing some root in the kitchen. (y)

Last edited:

Pounigirl

Kava Enthusiast
@Ibbygirl thanks for your kind words. I see your point about the third ball possibly having more in. I think after 2 washes of each ball you're pretty much done. I know the first ball gets about 4 washes but I still think it's worth leaving in there. The second and third shells always seem to be the strongest and the fourth shell is always a little bit weaker so I use that as a guide to whether I've got everything out of the root or not. By all means experiment for yourself, I'm not pretending it's a perfect method, it's just something that I think works well for me.
It's an interesting technique. I would like to experiment with it, but I would have to get extra aluballs first. Thanks for sharing it with us! :)

Paulie-Paul

thekavaroots.com
Kava Vendor
How did I miss this? Nice work Edward! Still working on that Banana Kava! Thanks for the shout out, love the mug of builders Tea shell. Was just in the UK but only for a couple of days, call you next time I'm around and we can knock some shells. I miss that kava too. Stay tuned I'm hot on the trail.