What's new

Trouble swallowing during and after kava

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Never had this problem before.
But during some kava sessions, I have difficulty swallowing. Almost like my throat passages become constricted or narrow or swollen.
Starts while drinking kava, and sometimes lasts a while afterward, sometimes longer than other times, but eventually stopping...until the next time I drink kava.
And it's not just with food or drink in my mouth. You know how you can kind of "gulp" with an empty mouth ? Not technically swallowing anything, except saliva, I guess. But it's like my throat gets "locked up", and can't complete the swallow or gulp, even with an empty mouth.
I can't find anything much about this on the internet.
Can anyone here shed light on what might be goin on ?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I've had similar but lesser experiences as you described. For me, it only happens when the kava has hit me pretty strong. (which is rare, despite my best efforts)
I notice it when I eat after my kava session, I think it's related to the muscle relaxation and general 'slowness' that kava produces. You're suddenly changing what your 'muscle-memory' is accustomed too, so different results appear. That's my best guess.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I've had similar but lesser experiences as you described. For me, it only happens when the kava has hit me pretty strong. (which is rare, despite my best efforts)
I notice it when I eat after my kava session, I think it's related to the muscle relaxation and general 'slowness' that kava produces. You're suddenly changing what your 'muscle-memory' is accustomed too, so different results appear. That's my best guess.
I'm starting to see a pattern of side effects, as a likely result of muscles relaxing too much.
At least 3.
There's this swallowing issue. Then there's muscle twitches, and then there's the cross-eyed effect.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I find when I drink too much kava my eyes go loopy and font looks all different sizes.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Maybe drink less kava in a session and prepare your grog a bit weaker. If you try it, let us know if it helps. How severe is this swallowing issue?

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Maybe drink less kava in a session and prepare your grog a bit weaker. If you try it, let us know if it helps. How severe is this swallowing issue?
It's pretty bad...I don't choke or anything like that, but it just feels like my throat locks up, and I keep attempting to swallow, but it won't follow through. After numerous tries, it eventually goes down, but the experience is kind of disturbing.

Krunkonaut

The life of a kavaholic
Have you tried using an antacid after your throat is locking up? Sounds like it could be a really bad acid reflux... I personally have them often when I drink kava and although it really is nothing in comparison to you, I'd give an antacid a try.