What's new

UK customs/illegal import?

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Was there an actual law passed prohibiting the consumption of kava? I'm not that familiar with the English legal system but this seems to be a bit ridiculous.
No. It's completely legal to possess and consume kava in the UK.

The laws apply to the sale and import of kava as a human food and as a medicine. I believe the maximum fine is £5000. The exception to the ban on it's import/sale as a medicine is that if it's to be used externally. Tell them it's a facial mask to be used to dry oily skin. Kanikani as a cure for oily skin LOL!

The other workaround (importing for use as a pet supplement) only works when importing for private use. Anyone importing for resale would have to have their pet supplement approved by the govt. See: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/alternative-pet-remedies-government-clampdown

The UK Border Force and Customs people can use their discretion. In this case, the packaging gave it away.

The vendor could box them in special UK-only packaging that clearly mentions it's pet use with instructions to dissolve one in a cup of boiling water and allowing it to cool before serving your anxious doggo. That would be naughty though, and I'm not sure @Steve would be willing to go that route :angelic

Last edited:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I know two women in the UK who run a small clothing business and regularly import solid quantities of kava for the purpose of "colouring their clothes". All 100% legal. Apparently, Borogu and Fijian wakas are particularly good as industrial dyes. ;)
If anyone managed to snag one of the KavaBoy t-shirts, they were actually dyed with kava.

Steve

Ozia - KavaKava Candy
Kava Vendor
Hi guys,

I'm new here but have been using kava for some time in the UK, I have never had an issue importing kava other than the usual sting of some customs charges. I ordered some kava kava candies from Ozia Originals and they have been seized by customs a couple of weeks ago I was pretty down because I was looking forward to trying the candies and the loss of money. I thought its only $40 and moved on with life. Now this morning I have received a letter from the food safety team from Warwick district council, explaining the legality and requesting my intended use....

So should i be worried or is this just a paper trail so they can happily destroy my kava :(

Thanks for any advice.
so sorry this happened. Yes, the pet supplement explanation may work - please let us know how it goes.

carole

So I replied to the council following some advice from you guys, thank you by the way.
Unfortunately it didn't work because the kava is in a confectionery based form meaning it is food and therefore designed for human consumption, oh well I tried. Now they have said they're going to destroy the package at my expense. I've requested the package be returned at my expense presuming it will be cheaper and I may get a refund. We'll see.

Thanks again.
I got the same Indian customs just appear nieve or say it for dog I got fine 250quid.i still trying get it.If you getting it for a pet that good idea as you see many do...when my dog can get it needed it desperately she took Valium instead.

carole

so sorry this happened. Yes, the pet supplement explanation may work - please let us know how it goes.
can you get some for me be .i did tell customs it for dog cos really helps the dog..really pissed about this.tell me nearest shop can by it.It nerviest dog and needs help.would you be allowed send vets suppliment
Thanks Carole

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
So I replied to the council following some advice from you guys, thank you by the way.
Unfortunately it didn't work because the kava is in a confectionery based form meaning it is food and therefore designed for human consumption, oh well I tried. Now they have said they're going to destroy the package at my expense. I've requested the package be returned at my expense presuming it will be cheaper and I may get a refund. We'll see.

Thanks again.
Sorry to hear this buddy! So no candies for you. Have you successfully received kava powder over there? What about @Edward ? Or does he not have the particular types you want to try? The delays must be infinitely frustrating. Hang in there. We have lots of UK people here on the forums. Maybe one can give you advice or meet up with you or some other arrangement. @Pauluk