What's new

Vanautu Cyclone: Aftermath and Recovery

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
These pictures are very sobering. It really shows the damage to these Precious Islands called Vanuatu. Thanks for posting them. One of the things they are in desperate need of now believe it or not is chainsaws.
Aloha.

Chris

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
God, the wind just stripped all the leaves off the twigs and blew them all out to sea. That's amazing.

starscolliding

Kava Curious
In one report I read, the Kava plants weren't actually harmed at all, in fact, the high winds knocked the makas right out of them, but didn't hurt the plants themselves. Scientists are on-site trying to figure out how that happened...

Poivrier

methystified
We have the same defoliated landscape here in Okinawa after severe typhoons each year, I hate it: you can see how stressed the plants and trees are.

verticity

I'm interested in things
In one report I read, the Kava plants weren't actually harmed at all, in fact, the high winds knocked the makas right out of them, but didn't hurt the plants themselves. Scientists are on-site trying to figure out how that happened...
In the unlikely event you are not kidding, I would like to see that report.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
You know, you're right. This is from Humans of Vanuatu Facebook page, I'll try to track down the island.
That's Mataso - one of the Shepherd group just north of Efate. Aniwa is a long flat island with a big lagoon off the north east coast of Tanna.
I just heard from an old friend who has been living 30 mins outside Vila growing kava - his house has gone, but all his 5 year old plants which lost all their leaves are shooting again.