What's new

Kava Culture Vanuatu Wants Kava Bans Lifted

infraredz

BULA!
http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/249183/vanuatu-wants-kava-bans-lifted

Vanuatu wants kava bans lifted
Updated at 6:37 am on 8 July 2014

Vanuatu's Ambassador to the European Union has called on Australia and New Zealand to consider lifting their bans on Kava exports from Vanuatu.

Photo: RNZ

Roy Mickey Joy says the two countries introduced bans 12 years ago following the EU's announcement of a ban.

But he says the decision by a German Court last month to lift the ban prooves there is no legal nor scientific basis to justify it.

Mr Joy says Vanuatu and other Kava producing countries have lost foreign earnings totalling 3 billion US dollars annually since the ban was introduced in 2002.

Monkava'd

A spoonful of sugar makes the Awa' go down.
I knew there was some sort impedance in the kava industry with New Zealand; even if there's a way to bring it with you yourself on transport from Vanuatu to Australia or New Zealand I'd remembered having a discussion on this forum about restrictions placed on these aforementioned countries but wasn't sure exactly what the restrictions implied.
That's quite a hefty toll for something which needn't be discussed as Germany has proved with appropriate evidence and now if they so choose not to lift the bans than it must be proved why opposition is necessary; also with appropriate evidence on their behalf.
When these type of bans were introduced the evidence Australia provided was that it was affecting aboriginal progression and the "kava addiction" was on the order of alcohol.
Here's a pdf addressing these irrational concerns.
So this is a mis-arguement on Austrailias part; aimed at what exactly?
In a way they're proposing that these aboriginals continue their use of alcohol instead of kava (which is much much safer when used properly), what an illogical farse. :rolleyes:

Attachments

Last edited:
D

Deactivated Account

I very much doubt Australia will ever lift the ban. It just caused too many issues with indiginous communities.

Monkava'd whilst i agree whole heartedly with you re kava over booze. You'd have to live here to understand the mess. You are damned if you do & damned if you dont.

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
"Vanuatu's Ambassador to the European Union has called on Australia and New Zealand to consider lifting their bans on Kava exports from Vanuatu."

I don't understand this. I have lugged kava back from Vanuatu into NZ, and declared it, and it's fine. What is the nature of this "ban"? There are people selling kava in NZ, from Vanuatu, all over the place.

D

Deactivated Account

"Vanuatu's Ambassador to the European Union has called on Australia and New Zealand to consider lifting their bans on Kava exports from Vanuatu."

I don't understand this. I have lugged kava back from Vanuatu into NZ, and declared it, and it's fine. What is the nature of this "ban"? There are people selling kava in NZ, from Vanuatu, all over the place.
Thats what i thought also re NZ…ive been told you can buy it at a dairy or servo there. Aust is def limited to 2kg declaired only though.

Piper Methysticum

Let Kava Take The Wheel
I like the idea of letting the people make informed decisions. The people of Australia are allowed to make them for alcohol, which probably has a much more sinister history there like everywhere else, but oh no ban that blasted Kava!!??

D

Deactivated Account

It's not about main stream Australian youth or people's. It's fully about Aboriginal & Torras Strait communities ie First Nation.

A hell of a lot of those communities are under full alcohol bans as well. Kava is even being air dropped in.

You would have to go there to witness substance abuse. It's beyond words.

Piper Methysticum

Let Kava Take The Wheel
Interesting nemo. The whole country is forced to miss out on the medicinal aspects of Kava because of the few who recklessly abuse it yet the whole country can still indulge in the consumption of alcohol that is an enormous health risk everyone. The article also pointed put that 1 in 4 Australians have been the victim of alcohol related verbal abuse. That would probably be 1 in a million with Kava.

D

Deactivated Account

Interesting nemo. The whole country is forced to miss out on the medicinal aspects of Kava because of the few who recklessly abuse it yet the whole country can still indulge in the consumption of alcohol that is an enormous health risk everyone. The article also pointed put that 1 in 4 Australians have been the victim of alcohol related verbal abuse. That would probably be 1 in a million with Kava.
Its much much deeper than that & not something we can pin point here, its not a few but a 50 000-60 000 year old race struggling with being westernised in a bit over 200 years….as i said you would have to live here to understand these communities & if pointing the finger fixed anything then there would be no issues.

I cannot ever see the kava ban being lifted at all.

Kava is just one of the problems & was quicker to fix than alcohol which ment one less problem to sort. If they cant get alcohol or kava they sniff petrol & so much so that we only sell petrol called Opal into these areas (australian developed gasoline) which is a variety of low-aromatic 91 RON. Of course alcohol is policed very heavily with massive fines if you are on the road into these communities with it in the vehicle. Max penalties are $42k for fist offence/$65k for the 2nd & $85k for a 3rd

The Aust Govt is more concerned with the welfare of these communities more than others pockets from another country. Kava was not banned because it didnt cause a problem…it was just another item to be removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
....Of course alcohol is policed very heavily with massive fines if you are on the road into these communities with it in the vehicle. Max penalties are $42k for fist offence/$65k for the 2nd & $85k for a 3rd....
Maybe they should banish offenders, like maybe to a penal colony perhaps. :rolleyes:

Australia is full of them, serious economic crap going on in Ireland so they have all fecked off to Australia or Canada to work. The first generation to emigrate since Ireland became a first world country, I wouldn't fancy having to put up with them. I emigrated to the Netherlands when I was 18 and came back when I was 20 as the economy was taking off. Now 13 years later its ruined again and the Irish are off abroad to labour again.

Things never change, well they do but then they go back to how they were...slightly different...but kind of the same. You know what I mean, history repeating etc and so on.

I can't string a sentence together today. You were drinking Guinness? Did you have big black shites afterwards? I always used to after a few days on the Guinness :D

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
....You were drinking Guinness? Did you have big black shites afterwards?....
Don't remember, because there was no "afterwards" for me when I was there. It was non-stop continuous party. Afterwards, flew up to Port Douglas and stayed on a little island called "Orpheus Island". Awesome place right on the great barrier reef to skuba, relax, party.

Holy god above I could do with a trip like that right now. That sounds like heaven to me mate. I am not in Ireland right now (had to emigrate again...) and I am 3 hours drive from a beach and they are not pretty beaches. I miss always being near the water in Ireland and I miss always having warm water in Vanuatu, that is a serious place to swim or go scuba if you have the skill.

I'm going to have a beer tonight instead of Kava and get all nostalgiac about Ireland and Vanuatu :cry:

I just google mapped Orpheus Island...wow man, I'm jealous!

D

Deactivated Account

When I visited Sydney, I was surprised at how many Irish people I met there. Even attended a fairly large Irish Day Parade and consumed gallons of Guinness.
Mate, everyone is Irish here on St Patricks day.

Australia is currently drafting a thankyou letter to the UK for sending their convicts to this hell hole of 300 days a year of sunshine & great beaches. Everyone here misses that UK weather.

I too am an Irish / Chinese gold rush days descendent.

D

Deactivated Account

Holy god above I could do with a trip like that right now.
I'm about to get 3 months long service leave (full pay) All I can think about is setting down somewhere on Pentecost for the whole leave. I so badly want to spend some time photographing the land diving.