What's new

Very Strange Reaction...really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megan

Kava Enthusiast
Ok this is going to sound crazy, but last night I had a spoonful of nene micro, then followed up with a spoonful of nene micro mixed with mahakea micro about 30 minutes later.

First I got super nauseous ::sickly:: I fell asleep for about an hour and when I woke up I thought I had a rash on my arm but when I pulled back my sleeve I realized my tattoo on my forearm was all puffy and itchy, just the lines of the tattoo! Then I realized my tattoos on my thigh and my back were the same way. It was too weird.... the only other time that has happened was when I was in aesthetic school and mistakenly waxed over my tattoo. So anyone have anything like this happen? or any idea why? The Moi and Nene have been treating me well, but I feel like I am having issues with the Mahakea. I'm taking it slow tonight with it to try to gauge any adverse effects.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
i'm not sure how far out of line that dosage/timing is for your, mahakea is typically a bit stronger and 'heavier' feeling and might have a higher instance of the kavalactone dihydromethysticin (dhm), which is known to be more nauseating. perhaps you're more sensitive with these varieties or not used to them...you can't drink heavy kavas the same way you do with light one's, without flirting with nausea and sedation. id try some mahakea alone on another day to gauge it's effects on you. mahakea is one of my all time favorites, some people are on board, some people aren't.

Last edited:

Megan

Kava Enthusiast
i'm not sure how far out of line that dosage/timing is for your, mahakea is typically a bit stronger and 'heavier' feeling and might have a higher instance of the kavalactone dihydromethysticin (dhm), which is known to be more nauseating. perhaps you're more sensitive with these varieties or not used to them...you can't drink heavy kavas the same way you do with light one's, without flirting with nausea and sedation. id try some mahakea alone on another day to gauge it's effects on you. mahakea is one of my all time favorites, some people are on board, some people aren't.
So far today I've had 3 spoonfuls of Mahakea over the last hour and a half with no nausea..... actually very little effects overall. I ate about 6 hours ago but wondering if my stomach is not as empty as yesterday. The raised tattoo thing was what weirded me out the most. Still in the experimental phase! I feel like I need a couple more sample packs to really feel out all of the strains.

Blippy5

Certified Noble
That is strange. No idea of the specifics. But I'm ditch shakas, Mahakea is different from other kavas. Is say take it slow, you may not have that reaction with other types.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I can't say for sure what the skin thing was, kava can cause skin issues with long term use but it's mostly just dry flakiness that isn't raised.
Here's a pic of my leg getting through kava dermopathy over a tattoo:
tatau-derm.JPG

I've never had any raised puffiness from it, but
when my dermopathy initially kicks in, it usually has
a semi-raised, red irritated spot. It isn't like that
everywhere though. Usually just under my arm pit.

If you had some kind of allergic reaction to kava though, which some people do, that would be a different story. The skin reaction could behave differently than dermopathy and being that tattoo'd skin is probably more dense and somewhat scarred, it could behave different than the rest of your skin.

blindy107

Kava Lover
@Megan Ive had similar puffiness on one of my tattoos. It happened long before kava usage for me. Never nailed it down though. It only seemed to be my shittiest tattoo that did it. At one point I thought it may due to hydration. Or lack of, that is.

I've also heard that scar tissue from deep tattooing can do that as well. Try lubing up for a few days. The tattoo...

Megan

Kava Enthusiast
@Megan Ive had similar puffiness on one of my tattoos. It happened long before kava usage for me. Never nailed it down though. It only seemed to be my shittiest tattoo that did it. At one point I thought it may due to hydration. Or lack of, that is.

I've also heard that scar tissue from deep tattooing can do that as well. Try lubing up for a few days. The tattoo...
Lol. Ok ::toungez::. Hmmm yeah it must have something to do with the scar tissue because the 3 tattoos that got puffy are definitely the 3 that were done the deepest.

Megan

Kava Enthusiast
I can't say for sure what the skin thing was, kava can cause skin issues with long term use but it's mostly just dry flakiness that isn't raised.
Here's a pic of my leg getting through kava dermopathy over a tattoo:
View attachment 4085
I've never had any raised puffiness from it, but
when my dermopathy initially kicks in, it usually has
a semi-raised, red irritated spot. It isn't like that
everywhere though. Usually just under my arm pit.

If you had some kind of allergic reaction to kava though, which some people do, that would be a different story. The skin reaction could behave differently than dermopathy and being that tattoo'd skin is probably more dense and somewhat scarred, it could behave different than the rest of your skin.
Dang that is crazy how dry it is!! Luckily I work for a skin care company so I am always moisturizing. I have been drinking a lot more water to stay hydrated, and using a lot more lip balm.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Through my decade or so of drinking kava every day it's actually turned my cheddar goldfish cracker tattoo into Colby Jack. It actually looks like it was made to look like colby jack cheese now. Honestly....I got the tattoo because I had a fear of tattoos so the way it looks to me makes very little difference considering my motive. That's strange though that you're getting it only on the lines. Never heard that before. Definitely keep us updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.