What's new

Vomiting/upset tummy

Status
Not open for further replies.

one wing

Kava Curious
Hi,
I'm new here and was wondering if anyone has experienced vomiting or upset stomach with bloated feeling after drinking a cup of ground Kava root(2.5 Tablespoons in about 3/4 cup of water) ?
I have been drinking the Kava for a few days this way, but I started on my second cup because it's friday and I felt just sick. I thought I would hurl but I didn't, and I got some fresh air and a walk and it passed.
Just wondering as I'm new to drinking it and only have web sources to go my.
Thanks for any help
Cheers,
one wing :)

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Are you using medium grind or micronized, and are you straining it or just mixing it? I've definitely gotten nauseated and puked from kava before; but never from just 2.5 tablespoons. I have felt bloated from it, which seems to be more or less depending on the kind of kava (probably how finely ground it is); especially micronized used to make me feel bloated. If you're using micro, your best bet would be to mix it a little weaker and space it out a little more. If you are using medium grind, make sure you're straining it.

one wing

Kava Curious
Hi,
Thanks!
I'm using a medium grind and straining it. I like the taste, especially if I mix it with a bit of cinnamon.
Well, maybe I just have a tummy bug. ItsI still winter here in western Australia, and people are getting sick still...
I didn't get sick on the same mixture the two previous nights, and I was pretty anxious today for no reason ( why I take the Kava in the first place)
I thank you for your shared experiences, knowledge and time :)
Peace

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Hi,
I'm new here and was wondering if anyone has experienced vomiting or upset stomach with bloated feeling after drinking a cup of ground Kava root(2.5 Tablespoons in about 3/4 cup of water) ?
I have been drinking the Kava for a few days this way, but I started on my second cup because it's friday and I felt just sick. I thought I would hurl but I didn't, and I got some fresh air and a walk and it passed.
Just wondering as I'm new to drinking it and only have web sources to go my.
Thanks for any help
Cheers,
one wing :)
How did you prep it?

one wing

Kava Curious
Hi Krunkie,
I put 1 part Kava to 3 parts warn but not boiling water, and I used an immersion blender to whazz it all up for around 4-5 minutes, then strained it, added a bit of sweetener Stevia) and some cinnamon.
I was looking up on Google how best to prepare it, and what I read was the mixing should be done by hand.for around 15 mins...but I had to fix dinner and other things. Plus I'm kinda too lazy to mix by hand for 15 mins :D

Camaytoc

Kava Enthusiast
If your strainer is more then 100 micron it might be leaving too much waka in the beverage. What kind of strainer are you using?

one wing

Kava Curious
Hi Camaytoc,
It's a fine steel mesh similar to a window screen. I had no cheesecloth or nylons.
However the liquid that came through .had no more sediment than a cup of coffee (a very small amount)
Thanks for your info/time :)

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
Hi one wing,
One of my kava quirks is that if I try and space out my shells rather than slamming everything I want down in one, I'll get intense nausea. You could try having a larger first dose?
I'm in Aus too ;-)

one wing

Kava Curious
Hi the_wilderness,
I was spacing it out!
Yes I will try that, thank you.
First day of spring but I'm cold and feel like hibernating... I'm from NYC the seasons here still have me mixed up after 4 yrs lol.
Thanks again!
Cheers, peace

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Nausea, bloating, gas, upset stomach are common side effects. Some people are much more sensitive than others and some kava products are more likely to cause those side effects than others. Kava has always been rough on my stomach but over time I've just learned to deal with it better. I find eating some fruits like grapes or pineapple (fresh, not canned) help a lot. Ginger or peppermint in any form help too.

one wing

Kava Curious
Hey SelfBiasResistor,
Yeah I think I'm that plus a bit of tummy bug.
I went out for a friend who wanted to karaoke, and I just felt rotten
I had a strong cup before I left and felt great.
Then stuff went downhill.
Lol.
Thanks for your info and time.
Cheers
Onewing

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Hi Camaytoc,
It's a fine steel mesh similar to a window screen. I had no cheesecloth or nylons.
However the liquid that came through .had no more sediment than a cup of coffee (a very small amount)
Thanks for your info/time :)
A window screen doesn't sound very fine. You might find it beneficial to order a strainer marketed for kava. I've been really happy with the one from Kavafied.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Hi Krunkie,
I put 1 part Kava to 3 parts warn but not boiling water, and I used an immersion blender to whazz it all up for around 4-5 minutes, then strained it, added a bit of sweetener Stevia) and some cinnamon.
I was looking up on Google how best to prepare it, and what I read was the mixing should be done by hand.for around 15 mins...but I had to fix dinner and other things. Plus I'm kinda too lazy to mix by hand for 15 mins :D
Looks like a classic blend 'n strain krunk prep but with an even stronger water ratio and the added heat element. All fun and games till someone loses a lunch.

Try these things and see if it helps:

1. Cut the blending time but increasing the standing time. Instead of a long blend, do short pulses. I recommend a 10 second pulse, then a 20 second pulse, then a 10 second pulse. Then let it all sit for 10 minutes before you strain. Then stir it up and then strain using the finest gauge tea strainer you can or a nutmilk bag.

2. Use cold water. Consider increasing the water ratio a bit, or dropping it.

3. The only reason you should use this method is to get krunk (which it should do in about 20-30 min after you chug it), but the reason you give is time considerations or laziness because you didn't want to knead for 15 min (which is fine, btw, no prep-shaming here). If time or effort is your concern, you know you can make a nice amount of good high quality grog in about 30 seconds using an AluBall with almost no effort at all, right? Now krunk can be a great thing, but only if you need the krunk. If you just need or want some grog and not getting a full-bore krunk on, there's no reason IMO to do a krunk prep. Especially if it can lead to stomach upset and chunder. Kava should always feel nothing but good.

Good luck with everything and Bula.

one wing

Kava Curious
Thanks krunkie,
Im such a noob that I didn't realise there were other ways of preparing kava.
I really appreciate your time and instruction.
Peace,
One wing :happy:

one wing

Kava Curious
My nausea only was for that initial two times, btw, and im quite sure it really was a tummy bug, as I've had more afterward without incidence. Also I don't skull the first drink either, i take my time which works better for me. That day i did chug it all in one and in about five minutes, well, you know. The great chunder, lol

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks krunkie,
Peace,
My unsolicited two cents: I would still recommend getting something finer than a mesh kitchen sieve to strain. Though I admit that the material I used back in high school was pretty course curtain material that I found at Walmart; but vendors sell great straining bags now.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Thanks krunkie,
Peace,
I did what you did, as did many others, back when starting. It's all part of the learning process. You seem to be doing fine and getting to the good stuff already, so that's great. But yeah, feeling sick from kava is a good heads up you gotta change something or other. Kava should feel good all the time every time, IMO.

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

Learn to love me, assemble the ways...
My nausea only was for that initial two times, btw, and im quite sure it really was a tummy bug, as I've had more afterward without incidence. Also I don't skull the first drink either, i take my time which works better for me. That day i did chug it all in one and in about five minutes, well, you know. The great chunder, lol
I take a Beano (or similar anti-gas type of tablet) right before I start drinking kava, if I am going to be drinking a lot. I am pretty new as well! :) well, VERY new! It really helps and I don't ever even feel sick from kava. I use the Kavafied strainer, though or the Aluball method. Sometimes both if the grind is very powdery or finer grind (IE, KWK Loa Waka). I have use a similar method as you, with blending it first and then straining it. I love this method for shorter sessions. I am about to whip up two batches right now of two different types of kava to mix. Just remember the initial Beano type tablets or capsule. Maybe it will help? It certainly helped me become accustomed to kava but I love the scent and flavor of kava now! I do eat small bits of food as well. Cheese curds (not sure why. lol.), pineapple, etc. Then I eat a small meal while the calming effects are in place. Have you used more than one type/brand of kava yet? I find some rougher than others already and I haven't even tried half of my stock of kava! :D A great way to try is to get the sample sizes. I see that your are not in the US, so, it may not be that easy. Anyway, hope this helps a bit!

Status
Not open for further replies.