What's new

Ways to make the taste of kava more bearable

Kavaguy

Kava Enthusiast
-Jello shooters Haven't tried this yet. Would think all the kava would settle to the bottom by the time the jello sets up, which would make it difficult to go down.
-Putting micronized or instant powder into capsules Would probably entail 40-50. I tried this once and it took forever and was very messy.
-Mixing with pineapple or cranberry juice. I read that vitamin c inactivates kavalactones and citric acid causes kava to be more sedating though.
-Using pineapple or cranberry juice as chasers.
-Eating peanut butter as a chaser. This actually works pretty good.
-Make the kava ice cold. Only thing is that if you drink a lot of it, you will be shivering.
-Plug your nose or hold your breath while drinking.
-Avoid heating the kava when preparing it. It makes it more potent, but makes it really bitter.
-Avoid using milk or lecithin, They also make it more potent, but for me, making it thicker accentuates the bitterness.
Anyone care to share any more tips?

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Water the milk down a bit and it doesn't go too thick. I always drink with milk and find it no problem.

Jerome

Kava Lover
I just found a great new way!

Stick a kava candy from ozia in your mouth before you drink! Flavor enhancer and krunkedness enhancer all in one tasty tablet!

Kavaguy

Kava Enthusiast
Why not just take multiple kava candies until you got a good buzz instead of spending all the time making kava and bearing the nasty taste?

Palmetto

Thank God!
I usually don't mind the taste that much anyway, but raising the pH of the solution seems to help. Add a fraction of an antacid to bring it closer to a neutral pH. Supposedly fresh kava has a closer to neutral pH than powdered and rehydrated kava.

AvaCat

Kava Curious
I know everyone says preparing kava with heat makes it taste worse but it surprisingly made it better for me. I followed GHKs' how to make a strong cup video and even though it made a thicker grog it tasted more mild! Oh and hi everyone I'm avacat! Nice place you guys have here.

Jerome

Kava Lover
Why not just take multiple kava candies until you got a good buzz instead of spending all the time making kava and bearing the nasty taste?
It would take a LOT of candies to equal a good strong bowl of kava. I'd get fat.

Zargonof

Kava Curious
I enjoy the taste of the more milder kavas. But for those strong tasting but still wonderful kavas I have tried a few things. Using instant drink mixes to sweeten the kava and add another flavor. I like adding the instant tea mixes myself be careful with some of the juice powders they don't mix well. Also there is using the kava wash to make lemonade is a simple way to do it if you dissolve the sugar in the lemon juice before hand. I have made a small book of kava drink recipes that are simple and easy to make if the flavor is to much.

Zargonof

Kava Curious
I chill it after heating, but still tastes bad. Would you be able to share your kava recipes?
I have a couple in the original post. One of the easiest ways i really enjoy is using the instant tea mixes(Arizona instant tea mixes is what i normally use they mix well will all flavors I've tried). Just put in what you would for the same amount of regular water. You still taste the kava but i enjoy it when i can still Taste it. I enjoy honey and milk like a regular tea but it still has a strong kava flavor. Using a condensed juice like lemon or lime add sugar and you can have a kava lemonaid or kava lemon lime(i like this one) same rules for making any ade style drink just use the kava mash as the water and dissolve the sugar in the juice first. With ith juices be careful and experiment some kava mixes well like this some separate and dont mix at all depending of the kava and juice choosen. I dont know why that is but it is. Generally sweetening the kava changes the taste just like tea or coffee. I have more intricate recipies for using things like coffee and more difficult mixes but i haven't perfected them. But i have to say Kava and Caffine are a great combo for a stressful day that you still have to get things done.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I only once had a good experience with kava and caffeine. I'd had yerba mate not too long before I had a daytime dose of pouni ono. It was a bit more intense than usual and I got a little bit of nausea but nothing too bad and I felt pretty good. Any other time it's just made me more dehydrated and feeling a bit average.

Reactions: EQ

Zargonof

Kava Curious
It's all about balancing the two to get a good ratio. It's not about getting krunk when mixing the two. If you use to much of one over the other they will just cancel each other out. A strong kava can prevent the caffine from doing is job if not done correctly. I have yet to perfect anything. But i have a recipe in the works that's close i think.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
hmmm, I support the cold kava theory because I can barely taste Ice cold kava until after i swallow it but I'm also someone who kind of likes the taste. I had kava in my thermos that was a few days old this week though and it tasted really awful. I just tried to ignore the taste and got through it fine though. I guess I am more determined to allign my mind with the root than some. If I am really stressed or tense I could care less how bad it tastes. It really is a case of "mind over makas" if you will.