What's new

Weird 1st time effects, newbie/lurker

Status
Not open for further replies.

PtSnow

Hello all. This forum is amazing BTW, thanks to all for the great info.

Been researching these forums for a couple months (lurker), how and what Kava to use-- finally bought some and took the plunge. I'm a borderline alcoholic, and a young one at that (late twenties) so I need a replacement for the daily nighttime cocktail. I'm taking steps to be better, and I was hoping Kava could help.

I'll start with the weird part. I understand the reverse tolerance piece, but I'm kind of getting frustrated. I'm going on my 7th attempt, and hope to feel the effects everyone talks about, and the reason I started this process.

So I've tried 6 times over the course of a week and each time = zero anxiety relief, euphoria, calm, etc. But what I do experience is uncomfortable = hot face, hot ears, headache. Not unbearable, but obviously not what I was looking for.

I bought Wakaconda Lawena (to try heady) and Dua Na Bilo (to try heavy), and have tried each 3 times, both the same result. Could I be allergic to Kava? Even if I did show some allergic symptoms, shouldn't I still feel the positive effects?

So I'm using the traditional filter bag and kneading method, as I want the best, cleanest results. Each time I've used a 1TBSP Kava to 1/2 C Water ratio (usually a little over). My first time was 3 TBSP, and I've slowly increased to 6 TBSP (at my sixth attempt). I knead for 10 minutes or more each time. I take a shell every 10-15 minutes until gone. I've even tried to add some fat (milk). Nothing.

I feel like I'm doing everything right. I've researched how to buy, use, and prepare, and I see no error. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Only thing I can think, is I am a bigger dude (260 lbs). Should I use even more than 6 TBSP? Seems excessive for a newbie, but I hate the no positive effect AND bad feelings.

Any help would be appreciated.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin

Been researching these forums for a couple months (lurker), how and what Kava to use-- finally bought some and took the plunge. I'm a borderline alcoholic, and a young one at that (late twenties) so I need a replacement for the daily nighttime cocktail. I'm taking steps to be better, and I was hoping Kava could help.

I'll start with the weird part. I understand the reverse tolerance piece, but I'm kind of getting frustrated. I'm going on my 7th attempt, and hope to feel the effects everyone talks about, and the reason I started this process.

So I've tried 6 times over the course of a week and each time = zero anxiety relief, euphoria, calm, etc. But what I do experience is uncomfortable = hot face, hot ears, headache. Not unbearable, but obviously not what I was looking for.

I bought Wakaconda Lawena (to try heady) and Dua Na Bilo (to try heavy), and have tried each 3 times, both the same result. Could I be allergic to Kava? Even if I did show some allergic symptoms, shouldn't I still feel the positive effects?

So I'm using the traditional filter bag and kneading method, as I want the best, cleanest results. Each time I've used a 1TBSP Kava to 1/2 C Water ratio (usually a little over). My first time was 3 TBSP, and I've slowly increased to 6 TBSP (at my sixth attempt). I knead for 10 minutes or more each time. I take a shell every 10-15 minutes until gone. I've even tried to add some fat (milk). Nothing.

I feel like I'm doing everything right. I've researched how to buy, use, and prepare, and I see no error. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Only thing I can think, is I am a bigger dude (260 lbs). Should I use even more than 6 TBSP? Seems excessive for a newbie, but I hate the no positive effect AND bad feelings.

Hi, welcome to KF, I don't know enough about you, to tell you if you are allergic to kava. I am not a doctor so in that regard, better to check with him/her on that if it's a big concern. I can tell you it's very uncommon.

For what you are describing, it seems like reverse tolerance to me. I am not sure body weight has anything to do with it (It could, again not sure). For the sake of comparison, I am a big guy as well, 6'3" @ 250 lbs. It took me about ten days to break through RT, of course as I look back now, I could have probably bypassed it with kava in the first place. I took GAIA caps for 10 days instead and then bought some instant and immediately felt super euphoric. If I were to do it again, I'd skip the caps and go straight to the Noble root.

I drink between 6-8 tbs, per serving X 2-3 washes with approximately 800 ml of water per "shell", depending on my mood and the kava. If I am drinking a super heavy kava, I may use less (4 tbs). Try increasing it up to 6 tbs or 1/3 of a cup (same thing). Make sure that on every attempt, (daily, this is important, specially in the first few weeks) you are in a comfortable environment, as relaxed as possible and most important of all, drink it on an empty stomach. That should yield better results, good luck & keep us posted.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur

You are doing everything right. Weight will not affect effect. Sounds like you just have RT but clearly your body is adapting. fwiw when I started I drank kava every day for 2 months before any effect and that happened by pushing to a cathartic krunk dose, using krunk prep blend n strain with 4 TBS wakacon waka to 1/6 water plus 1/6 cup coconut milk. I did three washes with it, drank one every 45 min. It was meltingly good. I was home. You’ll probably get there soon. Fwiw I never had anything from Dua na Bilo that I would call heavy. For heavy on Amazon you’d want Supreme most likely.

Zaphod

Kava Lover

Sounds like your prep is good. Are you waiting a few hours after your last meal? This really helps, especially for the initial kick. Your size shouldn't matter (no really size doesn't matter ::awesomesmiles::). It took me a few days to get over RT, but one thing I did find is the first few times I was way underdosing. Doesn't sound like that here but you could consider upping your very first shell instead of spreading it out over 10-15 minutes. My routine these days I like to front load with at least 4 TBS all at once to get things started, and then add as the evening goes on, how I feel, and timing around dinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.