What's new

Weird Kava Effects

Status
Not open for further replies.

ta-va

Earth Bound
So I thought I'd mention this as I find it funny and a bit strange.

It started as getting sniffles after I had downed my first shell of the day (some cultivars seem to have this effect more than others). Just a runny nose that a quick blow of the nose would sort out.

Now I think it must be something psychosomatic happening because I'm getting the sniffles during prep for the last few weeks. It's almost in anticipation of receiving the Kava goodness.

Not annoying. Again, a quick blow of the nose sees to it after downing the grog.

Just find this an amusing little effect that has started to happen to me more and more recently.

I also get the "shudder" when I think about the fact that I'm going to be imbibing in the near future. Probably down to thinking about the taste to come, but it's a kinda of "ugg" shudder, followed by a bit of a thrilling tingle!

Anybody else get anything like this or any other weird or random effects associated with our good root?

Mr. Kava

Kava Enthusiast
When I first tried Kava 9 yrs ago I ordered some Chiefs Jungle PNG from N@H.

It had a nasty smell and taste(probably because it was a tudei)

After that, for weeks whenever I would see my bag of Chiefs Jungle, I would experience a nausea flashback.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I definitely have to start blowing my nose, only when I get several shells in though.
Like you said, it's more prominent with certain varieties.
I don't get it just by knowing I'm about to consume kava, but I've had other effects
seem to appear simply from knowing I'm gonna have my 1st shell. My stomach can sometimes
start feeling the 1st shell before I drink it...also, when I have dermopathy I start feeling it
get itchy before I'm gonna drink...stuff like that.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I've experienced this with some particularly potent kavas. Right after downing a shell, get a severe runny nose, requiring a good amount of blowing to clear out. After that it clears up until the next shell. Obviously the experience is well worth it.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
This happens absolutely every single time I drink kava. My nose starts running like a waterfall. I think Prince Philip had the same thing happen. Something about drinking kava daily for over a decade will bring out some really strange side effects that probably have nothing to do at all with what I'm drinking.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Yeah I know that itchy feeling for sure also the flashback neasua and just the smell alone and thought of drinking kava can give me that cold shiver and the smell just makes me gag. Ecspecially GHK hiwa omg that stuff is strong smelling. I love it tho :p

Ever since I started doing 2 coconut pineapple water to 1 cup kava root. I don't shudder at all and in fact it quenches my thirst !!!! Stops the diuretic action TREMENDOUSLY ( and take note that I drank coconut water BEFORE AND AFTER kava before and it never helped this much.)
I seriously feel confident in recomending kava to people now that I made it taste good ! The smell doesn't bother me as much now either !

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I've got to wait for the coconut water to be on offer before I try this. I don't know what it costs in other parts of the world but the premium brands in the UK are nearly £4 a litre so $6. That seems really expensive although I know how much effort must go in to harvesting enough coconuts just to make one litre of the stuff. On offer I can get it for around half that which seems more reasonable to me, or in other words that's about my price limit.

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
I don't get a runny nose but rather a plugged up one! After plenty of kava, I can hardly breathe through my nose.
Interestingly, the more I skull, the worse it gets -- so a couple shells to take the edge off doesn't really do it, but 4 or 5
shells and a strong buzz, guaranteed. Thank Goodness for Breathe-Right (TM) strips, or I'd have a tough time sleeping after
imbibing.

I remember reading long ago that one side-effect of kava was a clearing of the sinuses. Maybe that's what most of
you are experiencing. I wish that were the case for me. :(

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Kava does both to me. But alot of times Ecpsiecally around excessive heat or commercial ciggarete smoke it becomes hard to breathe and very uncomfortable

Status
Not open for further replies.