What's new

I Love Kava Friday Welcoming the weekend.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I definitely would like to run a big experiment and try to grow several different cultivars in California and look for ones that are blatantly more resilient...and continue cloning only the ones that are the most hearty. — So far, my 1.5 yr old plant is the only survivor from my first batch of many others...so perhaps the fact that this one survived is a sign that it is slightly more genetically suited for survival here.

I’m really diggin’ Samson 666
View attachment 10048
I know nothing about growing kava but I wonder if Isa or some other type of tudei would be more resilient to the temps out west. Have you ever tried growing these types?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I know nothing about growing kava but I wonder if Isa or some other type of tudei would be more resilient to the temps out west. Have you ever tried growing these types?
Not yet, I contacted an isa farmer, but they weren’t sure if they wanted to sell me cuttings. They do sell fresh isa root every once in a while though.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I lived in Klamath Falls Oregon for a while. Its on the east side edge of the Cascade mountains.

Its always sunny but usually pretty cold there. But the cool thing is they have a Huge flow of.hot water and steam flowing through the lava rocks there on the side of a volcanic mountain.

Almost everyone there gets free heat by using water radiators in their homes and there is an experimental shrimp farm there.

So I was thinking we could do some sort of terra-forming project there and build a little geodome and then steam it up with free heat and create a mini-jurassic park with an abundence of our favorite plants

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
So I was thinking we could do some sort of terra-forming project there and build a little geodome and then steam it up with free heat and create a mini-jurassic park with an abundence of our favorite plants
Terra-forming immediately made me think of Superman, the newer ones, I can't remember which one it was...I got get out more, lol.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Very well, thanks for asking! I used a fine micron strainer & less than 4Tbsp kava root. I love how Kava has subtle differences in flavor depending on the island and cultivar. I brewed 5Tbsp with a friend Sunday night & we shared that and loved it. Minimal day after effects, if any--I went on a hike yesterday morning. I'm using Paupa New Guinea as a once in a while thing, I prefer Fiji'an Waka for my balanced nighttime cup of tea :)

My friend & I noticed the PNG is more thirst-creating than Waka but not as much as some Vanatu's we've had.

bogmonkey

Kava? Yes please!
I'm finally trying some Taveuini's Secret from Kava Time (my personal favorite kava vendor).
Their Gourmet Savusavu Waka is my number one favorite kava of all time (best flavor, creaminess and effect)