What's new

Wet Dog (as it relates to kava taste ; and variety of potentially controversial culinary delicacies)

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I've had some bad tasting kava before, but this was different.
It tasted like a wet dog, from a dirty puddle.
Has kava ever been known to taste like that, or was something wrong with my kava ?

Kavashua

Mmmm Kava
I've had some bad tasting kava before, but this was different.
It tasted like a wet dog, from a dirty puddle.
Has kava ever been known to taste like that, or was something wrong with my kava ?
I have never had a kava that tasted like that but I have had times that I didn’t get to clean my strainer quick enough and the odor was like a wet dog. Does not sound good whatever the problem is, what kind of kava?

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I have never had a kava that tasted like that but I have had times that I didn’t get to clean my strainer quick enough and the odor was like a wet dog. Does not sound good whatever the problem is, what kind of kava?
I currently have 4 different types of kava, that I randomly combine 50-50. I think it must have been combination of the sanitary issues you mentioned, and the wrong combination of 2 different kavas, if I could only remember which 2 I used for that one.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
I want to know what dog tastes like without preparing it myself or ever petting said dog.

I tried horse once and it was pretty amazing. I didn’t know it was horse until after the fact. Maybe not knowing helps!

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
It tastes a bit like pork. It’s a delicacy in some cultures in Ghana.

Cats are also widely consumed. They taste more like rabbit, which is yum yum yum.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Whew lads, I hope peta doesn’t stumble on this thread. Dogs will always be pets to me, since we very literally designed them to be.

Culture is culture, though. I’ll never understand eating dogs and cats, but I have a feeling starvation played a significant roll in that emerger so honestly I’d rather not fully understand.

I’ve always contended I’m one well timed visit to a petting zoo before becoming vegetarian.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I love the taste of Kava, and I’ve never tasted a wet dog so I can’t compare.

However, in West Africa I did try boiled dog. It was quite good
It tastes a bit like pork. It’s a delicacy in some cultures in Ghana.

Cats are also widely consumed. They taste more like rabbit, which is yum yum yum.
Whew lads, I hope peta doesn’t stumble on this thread. Dogs will always be pets to me, since we very literally designed them to be.
Culture is culture, though. I’ll never understand eating dogs and cats, but I have a feeling starvation played a significant roll in that emerger so honestly I’d rather not fully understand.
I’ve always contended I’m one well timed visit to a petting zoo before becoming vegetarian.
I lean more on KapmKrunk's side on this subject.
I'm not going to judge anyone for what they eat, I just hope that anyone who consumes animals who are widely domesticated as pets, would at least terminate their life in an extremely humanely manner, beginning from the time they "capture" them all the way until the end.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I probably shouldn’t have “gone there” with this discussion. It’s just the anthropologist in me and the traveler in me that likes to churn out these stories.

Domesticated pets don’t just exist because of friendships between people and cats, dogs, etc. Those animals were attracted to human settlements and gradually became domesticated to provide security (dogs) and rodent control (cats). The animals benefited from eating the rodents that were attracted to human structures and trash heaps, and dogs began rummaging around scraps and the ones with "friendly genes" stuck around and evolved over thousands of years into the many breeds of domesticated dog from around the world. There is also some evidence that cats and the parasite toxoplasmosis (which is found in many humans who have cats) worked together to kind of domesticate humans to like them.

I grew up with lots and lots of pets. I love cats and dogs and have deep bonds to this day with the dogs I grew up with. I think of entire eras as being defined by which dog my family had at that time. I do, however, see this is a cultural anomaly. In the non-Western world most people don’t form these deep relationships with dogs that Euro-Americans do. That doesn’t make it irrational or wrong to do so - not at all.

Anyway, I guess ultimately the point is that Kava doesn’t taste like wet dog, based on the small amount of experience I have. Lol

Also, I have never “asked” for dog or cat to be prepared for me. I only had either of them once, and they were served while visiting someone’s home. In much of Africa, refusing to eat at someone's home is pretty much the biggest insult you can deliver. So it is always important to work through strange dishes. Even if it does often end of making you ill. The same could be said for other crazy things I’ve ate - python, monitor lizard, pangolin, leopard, giant bush rats, tons of weird antelopes, fried termites, and all kinds of other fun stuff.

Last edited:

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Someone from the Solomon Islands once told me a saying they had about unusual foods: "once the meat has touched the fire, it is food."

I think Kojo's right about taking an anthropological perspective. Don't pass an opinion about a culture if you don't understand the full context. We all have biases that we aren't even aware of, and that can make understanding very difficult. It's a constant struggle to remain a neutral observer, especially when animal or human rights are on the line.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I probably shouldn’t have “gone there” with this discussion. It’s just the anthropologist in me and the traveler in me that likes to churn out these stories.

Domesticated pets don’t just exist because of friendships between people and cats, dogs, etc. Those animals were attracted to human settlements and gradually became domesticated to provide security (dogs) and rodent control (cats). The animals benefited from eating the rodents that were attracted to human structures and trash heaps, and dogs began rummaging around scraps and the ones with "friendly genes" stuck around and evolved over thousands of years into the many breeds of domesticated dog from around the world. There is also some evidence that cats and the parasite toxoplasmosis (which is found in many humans who have cats) worked together to kind of domesticate humans to like them.

I grew up with lots and lots of pets. I love cats and dogs and have deep bonds to this day with the dogs I grew up with. I think of entire eras as being defined by which dog my family had at that time. I do, however, see this is a cultural anomaly. In the non-Western world most people don’t form these deep relationships with dogs that Euro-Americans do. That doesn’t make it irrational or wrong to do so - not at all.

Anyway, I guess ultimately the point is that Kava doesn’t taste like wet dog, based on the small amount of experience I have. Lol

Also, I have never “asked” for dog or cat to be prepared for me. I only had either of them once, and they were served while visiting someone’s home. In much of Africa, refusing to eat at someone's home is pretty much the biggest insult you can deliver. So it is always important to work through strange dishes. Even if it does often end of making you ill. The same could be said for other crazy things I’ve ate - python, monitor lizard, pangolin, leopard, giant bush rats, tons of weird antelopes, fried termites, and all kinds of other fun stuff.
I don’t care if you call it bush rat, bush meat, grass cutter, agouti or whatever, that’s the tastiest meat I ever had. Sort of like a nutria. Monitor lizard is really good, too.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Someone from the Solomon Islands once told me a saying they had about unusual foods: "once the meat has touched the fire, it is food."

I think Kojo's right about taking an anthropological perspective. Don't pass an opinion about a culture if you don't understand the full context. We all have biases that we aren't even aware of, and that can make understanding very difficult. It's a constant struggle to remain a neutral observer, especially when animal or human rights are on the line.
Not all cultures keep animals as prisoners for their amusement. Work or food, maybe, but amusement for humans? Sounds weird.

NAMBATU

Kava Enthusiast
This is one hell of a thread derail.
Not all cultures keep animals as prisoners for their amusement. Work or food, maybe, but amusement for humans? Sounds weird.
What you'd probably find is that the countries without zoos and with low levels of pet ownership are the ones that practice dogfighting, cockfighting, bullfighting, and recalling some lurid Vice piece from years ago, donkey fucking.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
This is one hell of a thread derail.

What you'd probably find is that the countries without zoos and with low levels of pet ownership are the ones that practice dogfighting, cockfighting, bullfighting, and recalling some lurid Vice piece from years ago, donkey fucking.
That is not what I found. Can you think of a single one? Not challenging, just genuinely curious.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
I don’t care if you call it bush rat, bush meat, grass cutter, agouti or whatever, that’s the tastiest meat I ever had. Sort of like a nutria. Monitor lizard is really good, too.
I couldn't say about monitor, but iguana is fantastic. They eat a clean diet and taste clean too. Vegetarian lizards.

Although diet doesn't always guarantee a good flavor. Flying fox can have some serious funk if not prepared well, yet rattlesnake meat is delightful.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Dont worry about what you eat. We are all somewhere in the food chain. The fatter you are, the tastier you get. :hungry::hungry::hungry:

NAMBATU

Kava Enthusiast
That is not what I found. Can you think of a single one? Not challenging, just genuinely curious.
Yeah, Pakistan. Muslim culture discourages dog ownership. Dogs are shot in the street, you can find recent news reports about that. I've seen cockfighting there. There are local breeds of dog e.g. the Bully Kutta that were bred in part for dogfighting.

We all use animals for entertainment, some are kinder than others.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Countries that eat dog
  • China. Dog meat has long history in Chinese cuisine and the practice of cooking with it continues today in many regions. ...
  • Nigeria. Dog meat is a common dish in this West African nation. ...
  • Arctic and Antarctic. ...
  • Vietnam. ...
  • Switzerland. ...
  • Indonesia. ...
  • South Korea.

Im pretty sure Thailand too.
I cant confirm, but could swear that some of the street side taco stands in Tijuana Mexico use dog too.

Last edited: