What's new

What’s your worst side effect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UmbrellaOps

Kava Curious
Not to be a downer, but I’m curious about what everyone’s worst side effect of kava is. Aside from the common dermo issues that is. For me I’m having some bloating or “fullness” and sometimes that weird eye bugging feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kavashua

Mmmm Kava
I’m with you on the bloated feeling and in the past year it’s gotten worse for me. This by far has been the worst side effect I’ve experienced

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Not to be a downer, but I’m curious about what everyone’s worst side effect of kava is. Aside from the common dermo issues that is. For me I’m having some bloating or “fullness” and sometimes that weird eye bugging feeling.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by eye 'bugging'...normally I'd expect that to be a description of eyes protruding or perhaps opening widely. Kava has been known to make eye's cross or feel loose or wobbly, but that's typically a sign the kava or the dosage is properly strong or you've over indulged a bit. I consider eye effects to be a good sign.

Bloating and fullness, yes, a very common negative side-effect. Severity can fluctuate depending on the person, the volume, the preparation and the variety/strength of the kava consumed. Nausea can also be common, appetite suppression too, as well as uncoordinated wobbliness when the kava is particularly strong.

Next day sluggishness can also be a factor...but again, there are variables involved as to whether or not you'll get it, or how significant it will be.

For me, bloat, transient nausea, gas and next-day lethargy are probably my worst side-effects...especially since I can get all these negatives without necessarily having a significantly positive experience. I partially blame this on my genetics, 50 % at least.

UmbrellaOps

Kava Curious
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by eye 'bugging'...normally I'd expect that to be a description of eyes protruding or perhaps opening widely. Kava has been known to make eye's cross or feel loose or wobbly, but that's typically a sign the kava or the dosage is properly strong or you've over indulged a bit. I consider eye effects to be a good sign.

Bloating and fullness, yes, a very common negative side-effect. Severity can fluctuate depending on the person, the volume, the preparation and the variety/strength of the kava consumed. Nausea can also be common, appetite suppression too, as well as uncoordinated wobbliness when the kava is particularly strong.

Next day sluggishness can also be a factor...but again, there are variables involved as to whether or not you'll get it, or how significant it will be.

For me, bloat, transient nausea, gas and next-day lethargy are probably my worst side-effects...especially since I can get all these negatives without necessarily having a significantly positive experience. I partially blame this on my genetics, 50 % at least.
The eye bugging was poorly described. The Kavasseur once described it just as “feeling your eyeballs more” haha. I knew exactly what he meant. I usually attribute that to too much kava too quick.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
The eye bugging was poorly described. The Kavasseur once described it just as “feeling your eyeballs more” haha. I knew exactly what he meant. I usually attribute that to too much kava too quick.

Yeah, the more you feel it in your eyes, the stronger it is...or the more inebriated you are from it. I personally don't consider it a negative side-effect until it makes uncrossing my eyes difficult. I'm much more irritated by the side effect of expensive weak kava that doesn't have any perceptible effect on my eyes(way too common), because for me that's a good gauge for effectiveness. Traditionally prepared kava in Vanuatu will almost always do that to you...it's a standard part of imbibing there.

Last edited:

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur

Two years ago, when I was learning how to drink kava, I would get some minor side effects, dermo , weight loss, styes, but after a 6 month apprenticeship, those diminished gradually so by the one year mark, and ever since, I have had zero bad side effects. Just benefits. OTOH I keep discovering new benefits. I drink kava every day, 2L to 4L avg of 3. I rarely get krunk but have nothing against it, obviously. If I don’t krunk it’s because kava tells me I don’t need to, but keep shelling, that’s cool.

I would go so far as to say that no one should have bad side effects from kava unless they have an intolerance or allergy. Bad side effects are a heads up meaning you gotta change something.

I am careful to filter out all, or as much as possible, all indigestible parts of the grind. I drink grog in a tall glass, a 500 ml shell, With 3 or 4 ice cubes. And use a metal straw with a screen/filtre at the bottom called a bombilla. My wife and my oldest son drink same quantities same method same frequency and also have zero bad side effects.

But people are welcome to have bad side effects if they like. We all follow our own paths. There are many valid paths.

Last edited:

UmbrellaOps

Kava Curious
[QUOTE="Krunkie McKrunkface, post:. I drink grog in a tall glass, a 500 ml shell, With 3 or 4 ice cubes.And use a metal straw with a screen/filtre at the bottom called a bombilla..[/QUOTE]

Does that straw help quite a bit?

Kavashua

Mmmm Kava
I’m not sure what it is with Fijian KWK, but it makes me very anxious and overall just unpleasant. Kavafied has been pretty consistent.

The Loa Waka? I’ve gotten that to and it took a higher dose to get good benefits. Basically went like this: first shell felt good, next shell brought on the jittery anxious feeling and then I needed a few more shells to offset the jitters. In the end it always turned out pleasant but it required a lot of kava to get there

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
The Loa Waka? I’ve gotten that to and it took a higher dose to get good benefits. Basically went like this: first shell felt good, next shell brought on the jittery anxious feeling and then I needed a few more shells to offset the jitters. In the end it always turned out pleasant but it required a lot of kava to get there
I actually haven't tried the Loa Waka yet for that very reason. I think that yangonin does that to me and the numbers I've seen on that kava have all been high enough in yangonin to make me nervous. Their other Fijian (Vula Waka) never gave me anxiety.
I wonder if drinking more just gave the heavier kavalactones time to catch up with the headier (including yangonin as heady).

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
[QUOTE="Krunkie McKrunkface, post:. I drink grog in a tall glass, a 500 ml shell, With 3 or 4 ice cubes.And use a metal straw with a screen/filtre at the bottom called a bombilla..
Does that straw help quite a bit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
I believe so. Kind of like a last line of defense against hard indigestible bits.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
My worst kava effect is from consuming micronized labeled tudei kava continually over the course of about a year or so. My feet started flaking so badly that I would soak them in water and scrape them to get the dead skin off (not pretty, I know). Also the skin on my back split and bled.

The kava I drank is no longer available for sale, and to my knowledge I don't believe anyone sells a kava as ragged as that one was. Also, if I'm not mistaken, vendors have kept away from offering any micronized tudei kava products. I fully support that decision.

Fast forward to now, about the only side effect I get from kava is dry skin. I drink kava at 10:00PM and wake up at 4:15AM every morning. No hangover effects into the next day, and I wake up feeling okay (I'm not sure I'll ever say good if I'm waking up and the sun hasn't risen yet).

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
My most disliked symptom is still the combination between mouth-numbing and appetite suppression. After drinking kava on an empty stomach while feeling hungry (and being hungry), I can never think of any food that appeals to me and when I do eat, even steak doesn't taste all that great; so I just end up not eating and that, in turn, seems to make me feel cranky or "off." Happily, this is more of a problem with some kavas than others (and some batches than others; the current Tavueni's Secret completely kills my appetite, I don't think the previous batches did).

Michael1011

Kava Curious
The most annoying side effect I've had is dry, flaky lizard skin rash all over my arms, legs and stomach and then realizing I probably have to stop.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Managing hydration is a problem for me with the diuretic effects.It's just difficult to catch up after a session sometimes and is a nuisance.

Status
Not open for further replies.