What's new

What are you drinking thus Christmas?

Paul Peno

Kava Curious
I should have had some family reserve too, I've got 10lbs of assorted kavas on their way to me but all have been held up in post. Guess it will be a dry xmas for me

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

Learn to love me, assemble the ways...
Squanch waka and Kava Supreme. My favorites!
I have two bags of Squanch. I haven't tried it yet! Love the Supreme too. Is Squanch heavy, heady or balanced? I am really into heavy kava. My fav is KWK Boronguru with 1/4th ROH Premium Vanuatu for a nice, relaxing grog.

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

The Squanch waka is quite heady in moderate doses, but also has couch-locking (heavy) effects when drinking a full session of it. I guess you have to experiment with it a bit. Just be careful as it is a "creeper", i.e. the effects only set in after a while and it's pretty strong when prepared properly.
Thank you. As a daily kava drinker, that could get me in a bit of trouble!

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

No worries, you won't get in any troubles. Maybe I described the Squanch a bit too extreme, haha. Just start with moderate doses and try it out. It's a very pleasant variety for sure.
Thank you! Well, the Tongan Reserve didn't go as well as I thought. I must be used to heavier versions of kava. It did nothing and I was nauseous later on. I still have a small jug of it in the fridge. Likely, I will mix it with something today. What a bummer that my all time favorite KWK brand melo melo is not coming back to stock very soon. It is my all time favorite, even above KWK borongoru, which is what I use daily. Then, I went and ordered a pound of Kavafied Tonga without reading how "heady" it is, which is not what I'm looking for! lol. It will sit with my "emergency " kava stash! ugh.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Thank you! Well, the Tongan Reserve didn't go as well as I thought. I must be used to heavier versions of kava. It did nothing and I was nauseous later on. I still have a small jug of it in the fridge. Likely, I will mix it with something today. What a bummer that my all time favorite KWK brand melo melo is not coming back to stock very soon. It is my all time favorite, even above KWK borongoru, which is what I use daily. Then, I went and ordered a pound of Kavafied Tonga without reading how "heady" it is, which is not what I'm looking for! lol. It will sit with my "emergency " kava stash! ugh.
You couldn't get a much headier kava than TFR. Its euphoria is probably one of the very best in the kava world. That's pretty much the main reason people go for it. That and the creamy fresh taste.

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

You couldn't get a much headier kava than TFR. Its euphoria is probably one of the very best in the kava world. That's pretty much the main reason people go for it. That and the creamy fresh taste.
I, honestly, did not notice it! I finished off the pint I made the other night, just today, and it was much better today. Maybe it hits me differently but I did feel effects immediately this time. I do really enjoy it. Maybe I'll like Kavafied Tonga too. I am an odd one for the taste. I prefer the peppery ones with numbness. However, I do like the taste of TFR. All certified kava is good kava, I suppose!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I, honestly, did not notice it! I finished off the pint I made the other night, just today, and it was much better today. Maybe it hits me differently but I did feel effects immediately this time. I do really enjoy it. Maybe I'll like Kavafied Tonga too. I am an odd one for the taste. I prefer the peppery ones with numbness. However, I do like the taste of TFR. All certified kava is good kava, I suppose!
OTOH, one can save a lot of money by being satisfied with adequate or average kavas and not requiring top shelf. Thing is, if a kava isn’t amazing enough FOR YOU or for me or whomever to justify its amazing price, then might as well stick with cheaper fare, if it’s all the same.

I tend to drink a variety of kavas that range from “perfectly acceptable” to top shelf, doling them out proportionally according to their place on the price/performance pyramid. I do that with pretty much everything except love, where I go strictly top shelf.

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

OTOH, one can save a lot of money by being satisfied with adequate or average kavas and not requiring top shelf. Thing is, if a kava isn’t amazing enough FOR YOU or for me or whomever to justify its amazing price, then might as well stick with cheaper fare, if it’s all the same.

I tend to drink a variety of kavas that range from “perfectly acceptable” to top shelf, doling them out proportionally according to their place on the price/performance pyramid. I do that with pretty much everything except love, where I go strictly top shelf.
I do think I will keep a bag of TFR on hand to use sparingly at all times. A few top shelf kava are worth it. I brewed 4 more cups today. I quite like it from time to time. Love? Always top shelf.

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

After drinking TFR for 3 days, I am LOVING it! Smooth going down and my hip pain (I am a long distance runner getting too old for the pounding on the pavement!) is gone after one shell! I didn't care for it the first day. Now? It's a privelege to be able to drink this "top shelf" kava for the holidays. So, reduction of pain, relaxation without couch locking me, like my "go to" kava does when I am in the mood to just relax. I am really learning how to look at the kava, what it offers, and use it when it is needed. For example, I need to get a lot done today but the pain is nagging. So, the euphoria and pain relief increases my mood and I am ready to go! I am eating sweet grapes in between shells because one thing I have noticed from TFR, for me, is a bit of gas/stomach issues. Light fruit cuts that right out. Later, I'll switch to my heavy kava. ::happyshell::
Bula!

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I do think I will keep a bag of TFR on hand to use sparingly at all times. A few top shelf kava are worth it. I brewed 4 more cups today. I quite like it from time to time. Love? Always top shelf.
When did you purchase the TFR? Like all other products the effects are different from batch to batch. I buy it a few times a year since I find it's the only good tongan that is routinely available.

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

When did you purchase the TFR? Like all other products the effects are different from batch to batch. I buy it a few times a year since I find it's the only good tongan that is routinely available.
I bought it a few months ago.. probably October? I don't have any other batches to compare this one to but it's priced right for the effects!