What's new

What does your Avatar mean to you?

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Mine is a depiction of the fictional Hatter character from Lewis Carroll's 1865 book 'Alices's Adventures in Wonderland'.

I picked it because we have a lot in common. We are both very irrational and borderline insane. My favorite saying is: "There's a fine line between genius and insanity and I may have crossed it". :)

If you look close, you can see how backwards shakas (@sɥɐʞɐs) helped me out by putting a shell in my right hand and changed the number on the hat to my favorite chemotype.

I picked 'HeadHodge' because I'm the eldest remaining Hodge in the family tree.

Last edited:

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
That's one of the most ridiculous things about me--how much I identify with bicycles but how little I ride. After being pretty heavily into bicycling as a job and hobby through college, I got hit by a car a few years ago and have not managed to shake off some fear that resulted from that. There are some trails and paths near my house that I ride pretty regularly and can usually get in a few hundred miles a month in the summer, but it's recreational or cross training for running (I have a fixed gear that I love because it helps me train running cadence). The rest of the year, the bikes sit in the garage.
I'm a spring/summer/fall rider myself. Don't like the cold winter rides although I have the gear for it. Planning on a ride tomorrow. Supposed to get up to 62. Thats a little cooler than I like, but I'm stir crazy now and will ride anyway. Never been hit by a car, but I fear those big mirrors on trucks.

spacegirlelt

Daydreamer
Mine is a picture of a night sky that I took after getting out of my internship. Needless to say, I thought the atmosphere was serene. I find the night sky quite soothing and meditative, something about it always fascinates me. I live in a mountainous area, and it makes the view glow that much more luminously. I think it's a perfect shot and represents a lot of who I am: dreamy.

dino9832

Kava Enthusiast
...I like bicycles for a whole range of reasons (I'll ramble if I get started). Long story short--my avatar doesn't really have too much to do with kava except for the fact that I like both, ha.
I LOVE bikes. I just had a 20 mile bike ride today. Living in SW Texas, the weather was beautiful! I think it was around 80F. Oh, and the pickup trucks around here have those new telescoping side view mirrors that look like they were designed specifically for swatting cyclists!..lol. They remind me of a cat all puffed up to look bigger and more threatening. Like a huge F250 4X4 needs to look any bigger. :/ Anyhow, they haven't got me yet! But man, I'm sure they could do some damage!

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
I LOVE bikes. I just had a 20 mile bike ride today. Living in SW Texas, the weather was beautiful! I think it was around 80F. Oh, and the pickup trucks around here have those new telescoping side view mirrors that look like they were designed specifically for swatting cyclists!..lol. They remind me of a cat all puffed up to look bigger and more threatening. Like a huge F250 4X4 needs to look any bigger. :/ Anyhow, they haven't got me yet! But man, I'm sure they could do some damage!
I love bikes too, but of the mountain variety. No way I'd ride on the road these days, way too many cell phone distracted drivers flying past for my comfort!

dino9832

Kava Enthusiast
I love bikes too, but of the mountain variety. No way I'd ride on the road these days, way too many cell phone distracted drivers flying past for my comfort!
No joke! What people don't realize is that bicycles have the same road rights as things like tractors and farm equipment. I could ride in the middle of the road if I wanted to. I don't though. But, it's irritating when they blow past me so close it's almost like they're trying to intimidate me! I had a pickup honk at me just today...while I was on the side of the road! And yeah, people are always texting and typing. Not watching where they're going. I wear a GoPro camera on my helmet just in case there's any dispute as to WHO was at fault for an accident. Or, to record some info if it's a hit and run.

I have a lot of dog attacks on video..lol. Dogs love bikes. There's this one dog on my usual bike route that chases me about every time I ride. I call him Cujo..lol. Well, Cujo almost got me today! I had a strong headwind, and knew my only chance was to sneak past him, or at least catch him off guard. Nope. Some other dogs started barking and let him know I was coming. He was out in the street waiting for me!:eek:

verticity

I'm interested in things
No joke! What people don't realize is that bicycles have the same road rights as things like tractors and farm equipment. ...
&*#@! tractors and farm equipment. I live in a semi-rural area, and it's kind of annoying to be stuck behind a piece of farm equipment going 5 mph in a 55 zone. But, um, thanks for growing the food.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Oh, and here we have huge gangs of bicyclists going slightly faster than the farm equipment. Not single file, but all bunched up so they are hard to pass, also in a 55 zone. With no bike lane. They don't make me angry, really, but I do fear for their safety.

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
I have a lot of dog attacks on video..lol. Dogs love bikes. There's this one dog on my usual bike route that chases me about every time I ride. I call him Cujo..lol. Well, Cujo almost got me today! I had a strong headwind, and knew my only chance was to sneak past him, or at least catch him off guard. Nope. Some other dogs started barking and let him know I was coming. He was out in the street waiting for me!:eek:
Damn mongrels. It always seems they come out after you when you're going up a 15% grade climb and you have no hope of outrunning them. I have a very low tolerance for those bastards & carry pepper spray with me on any rides that will take me out into the boonies. My thoughts are if I load their eyes up with pepper then they'll think twice before they try to take the leg off the next cyclist. This is what I use and it works great. http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1031142_-1___

Last edited:

dino9832

Kava Enthusiast
...I live in a semi-rural area, and it's kind of annoying to be stuck behind a piece of farm equipment going 5 mph in a 55 zone....
Hear hear! I can't stand being stuck behind any sort of vehicle. Especially cars in the left lane going below the speed limit! In my car of course..lol. You'd think people would appreciate the fact that I DON'T hog the road on my bicycle. I think they mistake my polite consideration for NOT belonging on the road to begin with. I know some riders who insist on their rights, and ride in the middle of the road! I had a saying when I was riding motorcycles to and from work every day. "Motorcycle ALWAYS looses." Because, no matter who's right or wrong, you're going to loose in any sort of accident. :/ I've been down that road (leaving skin on the asphalt..lol.) too many times. I now call the road "The big stretch of black sandpaper!"

Damn mongrels. It always seems they come out after you when you're going up a 15% grade climb and you have no hope of outrunning them. I have a very low tolerance for those bastards & carry pepper spray with me on any rides that will take me out into the boonies....
My buddy Cujo almost got me this Saturday! I had a headwind, and he was alerted in advance by some smaller dogs. The problem with tear gas is the fumes that come off the actual spray. They can be worse than the spray itself! So, be careful.
Cujo_1.jpg

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
Thats a BIG dog, but its a beautiful road. You'll miss him when he's gone. :ROFLMAO:

Have you tried riding the Hotter-n-Hell 100 in Wichita Falls, TX in August? I've tried to talk some friends into riding that one, but I for whatever reason I haven't been able to convince anyone to go out there with me. http://hh100.org/

dino9832

Kava Enthusiast
Thats a BIG dog, but its a beautiful road. You'll miss him when he's gone. :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, he's not a "bad" dog. Just a bit overzealous in playing chase!..lol. I've come across some dogs that totally mean business. And, when they're leading a pack...you know you're doomed if they pull you off the bike. I always try to reserve a little energy for a quick sprint.

Man, the heat here in south Texas can get intense! I've never rode the Hotter-n-Hell, but I bet it IS hotter than hell..lol.

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
Oh that is good. I know the playful type and they're just bored looking for some fun. A little water from your bottle probably is all it takes for him, right? Sometimes when your water is running low on a hot summer day you do hate to "waste" it on a pooch.

Sometimes you get the silent ones. You don't hear them until they're right up on your rear wheel and they start growling. Those guys are bad. So too are the ones in the "Rottweiler" and "doberman" class of dogs. They almost always mean business. Little yappers can be pretty bad too because you don't want to roll over them as that can make you crash too.

There is this one dog on one of my training routes who is sort of pro at it. He lives on a false flat, but you do have time to work up speed before you get to his home out in the hill country. He is a medium sized dog, but he is fast. When he sees you he won't go straight at you, but he will take an intercept vector to you. I always have the pepper spray handy for him. He isn't there every time, but when he is you'll have a race on your hands. He will follow you for some distance too. Full speed.

verticity

I'm interested in things
... I had a saying when I was riding motorcycles to and from work every day. "Motorcycle ALWAYS looses." Because, no matter who's right or wrong, you're going to loose in any sort of accident. :/ I've been down that road (leaving skin on the asphalt..lol.) too many times. I now call the road "The big stretch of black sandpaper!"
My spouse used to be a paramedic. She said that the paramedics and EMTs where she worked called motorcyclists "organ donors".

In Colorado, there is no helmet law for motorcycles (for adults), so it is common to see people riding motorcycles here without helmets, which is just .... crazy; but I guess they like feeling the wind in their hair and getting bugs between their teeth or something. (I see Texas is the same, actually helmet law states are a minority, wtf?)

Last edited:

verticity

I'm interested in things
... And, when they're leading a pack...you know you're doomed if they pull you off the bike. I always try to reserve a little energy for a quick sprint.....
Pulled off your bike by a pack of feral dogs? Holy cow. Texas has liberal gun laws, doesn't it?