What's new

What does your Avatar mean to you?

wormwood

Kava Enthusiast
Wormwood, before you buy a dog, think about getting a rescue dog. There are so many that need a home. There is a nominal fee to neuter/spay the pup. Also a small donation to a rescue organization. These pups will not forget what you did for them. You'll have a friend for life!:happy:
I would never get a dog from any place but a shelter, except maybe a friend or something. The sad part of it is, with all of these stores that use puppy mills, is that technically these dogs now need rescued also. These places are CREATING animals that need rescued. It's akin to cloning baby human beings and then hoping to find a foster home for them. Its total madness. So while the dogs from mills need rescued also, the animal lover has to go elsewhere as to not support the industry. Luckily in Chicago (which I live just outside of) they passed an ordinance making puppy mills in the city illegal. And whatever Chicago does, the rest of the state typically follows. Maybe other states will follow their lead. I do think it is a matter of time before they are made illegal.

I would never get a dog from any place but a shelter, except maybe a friend or something. The sad part of it is, with all of these stores that use puppy mills, is that technically these dogs now need rescued also. These places are CREATING animals that need rescued. It's akin to cloning baby human beings and then hoping to find a foster home for them. Its total madness. So while the dogs from mills need rescued also, the animal lover has to go elsewhere as to not support the industry. Luckily in Chicago (which I live just outside of) they passed an ordinance making puppy mills in the city illegal. And whatever Chicago does, the rest of the state typically follows. Maybe other states will follow their lead. I do think it is a matter of time before they are made illegal.
Amen. I foster dogs and had 11 puppies in my house at one time a month back. LOL. It was crazy. But, the best thing I've ever done in my life. We have four dogs now and all four are save dogs on the kill list. I can spend hours just watching them play and run in the backyard. I wish everyone would consider a kill status dog first. There is nothing like saving a dog. I took my son to the shelter the day we got the 11 puppies and their mama. I never will forget driving through the gate and looking into the back seat and all those puppies were playing in my son's lap. The gate shut behind us and we both had tears in our eyes. It's the simple things. It forever changed me to be honest! I just get sad now that I can't save more.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
lol wow. In the smaller avatar pic I thought that the yellow and white oval (which is kava) was some sort of reptilian egg or something
LOL.

Because I thought my avatar was cool but apparently nobody else knew what it was, I've now changed it.

My new avatar shows me fishing off the rocks in Pago Pago harbour (American Samoa) a few years ago. In my hand is the fishing line wrapped around a plastic bottle. I may have caught Dory (of Finding Nemo fame) that day. All three inches of her.

verticity

I'm interested in things
LOL.

Because I thought my avatar was cool but apparently nobody else knew what it was, I've now changed it.

My new avatar shows me fishing off the rocks in Pago Pago harbour (American Samoa) a few years ago. In my hand is the fishing line wrapped around a plastic bottle. I may have caught Dory (of Finding Nemo fame) that day. All three inches of her.
Both avatars are cool!

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
LOL.

Both your old one and your new one are good. Its whatever you want you know.

dino9832

Kava Enthusiast
..In Colorado, there is no helmet law for motorcycles (for adults), so it is common to see people riding motorcycles here without helmets, which is just .... crazy;..
I ALWAYS wear a helmet on motorcycles and bicycles. Even on a dirtbike. My last motorcycle accident took a chip out of the face guard and scratched the side of the helmet pretty bad. Thank God I was wearing a full face helmet. My other injuries were painful enough!

Pulled off your bike by a pack of feral dogs? Holy cow. Texas has liberal gun laws, doesn't it?
Yeah, we can actually carry a .44 magnum strapped to the hip in public..lol. Kinda like the good ole days. Most dogs are just having fun. Some seem more serious though.
I'd prefer not to shoot a dog. I have six at home. They can look pretty fierce, but they mean well.

brokearm.jpg

nhoeg

Kava Manliness
Mine is just a photo of the Dutch footballer Dennis Bergkamp.
I remember being a kid and seeing him on TV and ever since I have always thought that he was the definitin of cool, lol :)

Ligermeat

Warm and Fuzzeh!
I remember being a kid and seeing him on TV and ever since I have always thought that he was the definitin of cool, lol :)
If you don't min me asking nhoeg, what's it like up there in demo-scocio Denmark? I understand the downsides, like big taxes and so on, but what about all of the good stuff like health care, welfare, etc? Is it really better than it is down here in the US of A?

nhoeg

Kava Manliness
If you don't min me asking nhoeg, what's it like up there in demo-scocio Denmark? I understand the downsides, like big taxes and so on, but what about all of the good stuff like health care, welfare, etc? Is it really better than it is down here in the US of A?
That's a great question Ligermeat. All in all I would say that it works pretty well here. I like being able to visit my doctor whenever I want, and my brother who in the past has had a lot of serious illness has been cured by public funded hospitals (it would have costed my family millions of kroners if it wasn't for this).
I do not need to take large loans in order to finish my studies, because I get a monthly salary from the state for going to college.
We have a public safety net that secures and helps those who do not have family or other social support in order to live a regular life with food, hygiene and accommodation.
Corruption levels are the lowest in the world and we are often credited as being "the happiest contry in the world" - even though we are also the ones who consume the biggest amount of antidepressants per capita, lol. But that's probably another discussion.

But of course there a lot of downsides too, but you only asked for the good stuff. Generally I think this system works very well. On the other hand though, I have always liked the US with all its glorious liberty, cars and big money. But I have only been there on vacation, and I could not imagine myself living there for the rest of my life. As long as corruption levels are low and people in general has a great life/working mentality, I think a welfare system like Denmark's is wonderful.

verticity

I'm interested in things
lol, Oh I thought it was a picture of you! I shouldn't assume things. For a long time I thought @Edward was one of the cast members of the TV show "The Young Ones"...

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Several years ago I had to do a presentation to customers, and upper management on all the shit going wrong....and how we would recover. After some deliberation I started my powerpoint with this picture. Given that most of the people I work with are engineers, including management and customers, it got a good laugh and set the tone for the rest of the meeting. When life or work gets crazy hectic I like to remind myself to not panic and just work through the issues one by one. Seems very appropriate for the Kava state of mind....