What's new

Kava Preparation What's your kava ritual?

Krunkonaut

The life of a kavaholic
Drinking kava for me is more than just drinking it. If it were to be sold in bottles I certainly wouldn't enjoy it as much as I do now. Getting ready for a kava session and the session itself are things I have to take time for, it's a time of self-reflection for me. If I only have an hour to drink kava before having to do something it'll just ruin it, that's why I always drink it 3-4 hours before going to bed. Before preparing kava I always clean the strainers and my bowl, sadly it's not a tanoa... I clean up my room and make it cozy with some chill music playing in the background. If I'm in the mood for the extra work I'll put some kava in a mixer with some almond milk but most times I'm too lazy or can't wait to start. I start straining whilst watching something on youtube and after 15 minutes more or less until it looks delicious! I don't use coconut shells often because mine aren't that big and I like to drink something like 2 shells at once because the immediate punch kava gives is something I love, it feels like rocket riding to my safe haven haha. I always meditate a bit to feel it creeping or kicking in, it helps me get into the kava session. During the session I take my time between shells because I like to kneed the root even if I've kneaded it enough or play some cards, I also like browsing through the kavaforums because I love reading about kava! When my kava session is coming to an end, I finish it off with a last shell 5 minutes before bed so I feel good when I'm settling in to go to sleep.
What's your kava ritual?::chugger::

muddywaters

Kava Enthusiast
That is just like me actually except I don't do traditional prep, I also need everything cleaned up and done for before I begin, I also need to make sure I'm already as comfortable as can be. Chill music is a must as it washes over me. No work ahead of me either, any work even hours after ruins it for me. My bowls are small glass 3 legged bowls a little smaller than a coconut shell, I get about 1 and then a little out of my usual batch of kava.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
just curious what kava works for you in mid morning and early afternoons also ive been doing the frozen makas working great hope all these members realize how much money they can save and still not be disappointed in the experience my hats off to you for sharing Bula
For the morning I either go for lighter kavas or if they are stronger, I simply make them weaker. My favourite would be either a lawena or a mix of Fijian waka with kava Tonga. Or just straight Kava Tonga, or some light Hawaiian 'Awa or if I am lucky enough to have any, some sakau from Pohnpei.

Krunkonaut

The life of a kavaholic
For the morning I either go for lighter kavas or if they are stronger, I simply make them weaker. My favourite would be either a lawena or a mix of Fijian waka with kava Tonga. Or just straight Kava Tonga, or some light Hawaiian 'Awa or if I am lucky enough to have any, some sakau from Pohnpei.
I've never heard of the sakau kava, what kind of kava is that and what vendor sells it??

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I've never heard of the sakau kava, what kind of kava is that and what vendor sells it??
Jadesa sells the sakau direct from Pohnpei, which I have bought, or RoH sells in stateside. https://rootofhappinesskava.com/products/premium-micronesian-kava-powder-1-2lb but I believe they are currently out of stock. It's pricey, but good. Whether it's worth the price is really up to others. It sure does taste fantastic, tho, and perfect for daytime shelling. The RoH Samoan I also find good for daytime, though not the KWK Samoan which is an excellent kava, but really more suited for night time, IMO.

Krunkonaut

The life of a kavaholic
Jadesa sells the sakau direct from Pohnpei, which I have bought, or RoH sells in stateside. https://rootofhappinesskava.com/products/premium-micronesian-kava-powder-1-2lb but I believe they are currently out of stock. It's pricey, but good. Whether it's worth the price is really up to others. It sure does taste fantastic, tho, and perfect for daytime shelling. The RoH Samoan I also find good for daytime, though not the KWK Samoan which is an excellent kava, but really more suited for night time, IMO.
I've never done kava in the morning but I'm receiving a new batch of kava from cactus kava soon so I'm definitely trying it out!

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
I like to keep my kava drinking to the afternoon/evenings mostly. It's the point of the day where I acknowledge that I am done accomplishing things for the day and then commence the kava drinking. When I do it in the evenings, which is most of the time, I wear my pjs and like to sit in front of my computer doing whatever pleases me. Usually I'm reading articles/this forum or watching youtube videos. This is also my pet the kitties time. :) I like quiet when I'm drinking kava and dislike loud sounds and video games or movies. I end the session with food and sleep.

T

Terrance J Goins JR

I usually drink my kava in the evenings i love the melo melo from kalm with kava. I like to drink it alone or if people are drinking alcohol or kava. I like to listen to music on it jamb out or play video games and play with my cat. Food looks so much better and things feel super blissful.

Kavaguy

Kava Enthusiast
The only time of day I can drink kava and feel anything is around 4:00. This will mean I will have gone without food for around 6 hrs. I usually eat at 5 or 6, so I woudnt be able to drink kava and enjoy any of the benefits, as I need to go without eating 6 hrs beforehand. Not sure how you all can drink kava in the evening, unless you are skipping dinner altogether?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
The only time of day I can drink kava and feel anything is around 4:00. This will mean I will have gone without food for around 6 hrs. I usually eat at 5 or 6, so I woudnt be able to drink kava and enjoy any of the benefits, as I need to go without eating 6 hrs beforehand. Not sure how you all can drink kava in the evening, unless you are skipping dinner altogether?
I drink it late. Just before bed. I eat at 6pm and drink kava at 10:00pm and that’s usually plenty of time to have an empty stomach for kava.

Inkbottle

Hi. New to the forum but not to Kava. Just started up again with this lovely stuff in my search to end my dependence on Alcohol.

I use 4 tablespoons of Kona Noble Kava in an unmeasured amount of water, put it in a Gatorade bottle and shake the hell out of it for awhile before i strain it through a mesh tea strainer. I guess i'm one of the odd ones. I like the taste..okay, well, i don't mind it. My tongue is numb while i write this and it's awesome.
I took a good 1/3rd of the gatorade bottle earlier today and lost any motivation to move, which is why i usually like to take it at night.

Side note. Does too much kava make anyone else dizzy to the near point of nausea especially while staring at a computer screen? I had that problem last night
after i drank 4 tablespoons quickly. I was also on K@ but i remember experiencing this on only Kava the night before. Need to reduce the amount i drink i think and find my happy medium.

Also, tried to drink a beer last night but lost interest and poured it out when only half done, so Kava is totally working for meas a replacement.