What's new

white substance at bottom of bowl?

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
I use a stainless steel mixing bowl for making my kava. After putting a couple of cups of water in the bowl squeezing the kava bag for around 10 minutes, I am ready to pour the kava through a strainer into a jar. At the bottom of the bowl is always a relatively thicker white substance. I always add a little water to the bowl and wash the substance into my kava jar, but I've always wondered what it is. Is it kavalactones?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I have always wondered this myself. It's way more prevalent if you're using fresh kava. It's just a white powder that forms at the bottom. My best guess is starch from the kava root.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I think its just particles that are small enough to go through your straining bag, but too large to be suspended or emulsified, that sink to the bottom.

Why are you pouring the kava through a strainer before putting it in the jar if you have already kneaded it using some kind of strainer bag?

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
I think its just particles that are small enough to go through your straining bag, but too large to be suspended or emulsified, that sink to the bottom.

Why are you pouring the kava through a strainer before putting it in the jar if you have already kneaded it using some kind of strainer bag?
Sometimes a few makas come out the top of the strainer bag. Its just an easy thing to do and doesn't add any extra time to the prep.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder

See, I would think that also, but the powder left over after kneading out a batch of fresh frozen is pure white, and looks like baking soda when you scrape it out. No color to it at all.

verticity

I'm interested in things
See, I would think that also, but the powder left over after kneading out a batch of fresh frozen is pure white, and looks like baking soda when you scrape it out. No color to it at all.
Isn't @awametal using regular powder? I'm not familiar with the properties of fresh frozen.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Sometimes a few makas come out the top of the strainer bag. Its just an easy thing to do and doesn't add any extra time to the prep.
What I like to do to prevent that is dump the kava in my strainer, which for me is doubled stockings, and get it into a ball in the "toe" of the stockings, then twist it around several times so it stays there, creating a sperm-like creature:
sperm.jpg

(@Deleted User this might be of interest to you)

Jonathan

All Hail Leon
My bet would be starch. I often strain out ginger to make a concentrate, and the same thing happens. I think it would probably happen with any root that has starch in it...

Sean D.

Kava Enthusiast
I was also thinking starch. My strainer bag is always stiff the next day after drying, possibly due to starch.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Thank god for this thread. My fresh came in and my parents didn't tell me it was here yesterday so it sat at room temp for a day before I could open it... I saw the white stuff at the bottom and became immediately concerned since I've never seen that in dry.
I Googled and of course the forums came up and saved the day :)
oh my god by the way fresh nene tasted like fruit juice almost

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Thank god for this thread. My fresh came in and my parents didn't tell me it was here yesterday so it sat at room temp for a day before I could open it... I saw the white stuff at the bottom and became immediately concerned since I've never seen that in dry.
I Googled and of course the forums came up and saved the day :)
oh my god by the way fresh nene tasted like fruit juice almost
Grrr.....still waiting on my fresh kava. Can't wait. How did you prepare it?

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
My Ninja 1500 Watt has a thick, resinous paste, permanently, all over the sides that builds and builds and quantities can be scraped off as a yellow/white resinous paste with great calming properties. As for the bottom of a kava bowl? ... How about this from pgs. 108-109 of Kava, the Pacific Elixir- regarding the grinding and preparation of fresh kava in a wooden dish "...wooden dishes eventually became covered with a grayish-green deposit that is found at the bottom of coconut shells used as (kava) drinking bowls. The deposit is a resinous kavalactone residue that contains the plants active ingredients in concentrated form” .

Zaphod

Kava Lover
My Ninja 1500 Watt has a thick, resinous paste, permanently, all over the sides that builds and builds and quantities can be scraped off as a yellow/white resinous paste with great calming properties. As for the bottom of a kava bowl? ... How about this from pgs. 108-109 of Kava, the Pacific Elixir- regarding the grinding and preparation of fresh kava in a wooden dish "...wooden dishes eventually became covered with a grayish-green deposit that is found at the bottom of coconut shells used as (kava) drinking bowls. The deposit is a resinous kavalactone residue that contains the plants active ingredients in concentrated form” .
Gosh darn it. You lucky folks in Hawaii with fresh awa are killing me. You know if I take a liking to this fresh frozen kava I am going to permanently hound @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava (despite his insistence that he doesn't want to do this) to start shipping fresh frozen kava.

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
Yea I haven’t order any simply due to me living on the southern east coast. Fraid it may go bad by the time it gets here...

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Gosh darn it. You lucky folks in Hawaii with fresh awa are killing me. You know if I take a liking to this fresh frozen kava I am going to permanently hound @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava (despite his insistence that he doesn't want to do this) to start shipping fresh frozen kava.
@Gourmet Hawaiian Kava prepare to have your inbox destroyed and for you to block my email, text, snail mail, Facebook, Instagram, message delivering owls, singing telegrams, message dropping drones, homing pigeons, and smoke signals. I had a great experience with that fresh frozen kava...